W&D Weekend - 2 Course Challenge

DisneyRunnerUK

Original Poster
Hi

My wife and I are visiting WDW in November and would like to take in the RunDisney races. DW was hoping to do the 10K and myself the Half Marathon but entries for each event individually have sold out. Therefore we've considered entering the Two-Course challenge (which is still open) under one of our names, then 'sharing' the bib for DW to run the 10K, then myself the Half.

Before I get my wrist slapped for breaking rules, I realise that RW wouldn't allow such a 'shared' entry. Both of us are avid runners (although we certainly wouldn't be in any danger of winning either race!) and certainly medically fit, plus my name can be multi-gender (so the name would be appropriate for both myself and my wife if a marshal etc was to bother questioning the bib). We're travelling across from the UK and it's been a long-standing ambition to run a RW race.

So what I'm basically asking is, with the utmost respect, is do RW check each bib on the morning of the races? I assume they don't scan them against or Magic Band (or similar) seeing as it's open to non-resort guests. I don't consider what we're proposing to be 'cheating' as we certainly wouldn't be racing around, but merely want to experience such a great event without paying $400ish charity fee on top of the already VERY expensive entry fees!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

kevlightyear

I don't think it'd be possible. To avoid bib sharing for the challenges, RunDisney takes your picture at the expo holding your bib. After the races, you pass through a booth where someone at a laptop makes a check. I assume they look at that photo and maybe other things. If you were to try to split the bib, you'd probably get hassled there, and may not receive your half and challenge medals.

FerretAfros

Technically speaking, you and your wife probably wouldn't be stopped on the way into the corrals for either race. It's dark and crowded, and the names are usually printed fairly small on the bibs with low-contrast colors. The photos from the expo are only used to verify the challenge medal, not the medals for the individual races, and it would be fairly easy to entirely bypass the expo photo if you wanted

That said, I would definitely recommend against it. Bib swapping could make a bad situation worse during an emergency situation, and it screws with the age group statistics, even in the back of the pack. There's also a reasonable chance that runDisney will notice and could ban you and your wife from future events

Instead, see if there are any official travel partners that might fit your needs; it looks like several still have bibs available. They all have requirements to book hotel rooms and park tickets through them, usually at a discounted rate (though the discount may not be as good as the famous UK rates). Here's one option that appears to have bibs available, and there are many others that can be found online:
http://www.mickeyvacations.com/runDisney/2017WDWWineDineMarathon.htm

Also, if you're coming from the UK, consider checking out the DLP races, which haven't opened for general registration yet. I ran them last year and it was a really lovely event, and probably had the best Disney half marathon course I've ever done. Obviously it's not quite the same as running in WDW, but it's a very worthwhile and well-organized event

dreamfinder

I wouldn't suggest it, just not really worth it. Yeah you technically could, just have the half runner take the expo picture, they don't typically verify after the shorter races, just the long one. And the verification at the corrals is just to look for the letter, with people naming their kids things like "North West" no one will blink if a guy shows up with a bib for a traditionally female name. Check into the travel agents and charity groups and see what that would cost you.

OG Runner

I would actually believe you could do it. Just realize that you would not be able to collect the medal for the two race challenge.
You would be the individual medals, but as previously noted they take your photo with your bib to confirm it is you, for the
challenge medal. The individual medals are given when you cross the finish line.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom