1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

Volcano Bay

Discussion in 'Universal Orlando' started by Mike C, May 28, 2015.

1. UpAllNight

UpAllNight Well-Known Member

They need to add more none waiting activities in my opinion, but they already have bars, lazy rivers and a wave pool, so I'm at a bit of a loss as to what this could entail.

2. Disneyhead'71

Disneyhead'71 Well-Known Member

Live entertainment/streetmoshpere. I'm mean. It is a "theme park", right? Don't MOST theme parks have an entertainment department?

Hula Dance Class on the beach

Art of the Mai Tai masterclass

And of course

Minions Dance Party!!!!!

And my favorite

Spa@VB- 30min. Swedish/Sugar Scrubs

3. Tom Morrow

Tom Morrow Well-Known Member

They could have Optimus Prime and Bumblebee, but in swim trunks

Spectro, andysol and Journey_On like this.
  4. JT3000

JT3000 Well-Known Member

5. mergatroid

mergatroid Well-Known Member

Latest Tim Tracker video on VB. He seems to think that Taniwha Tubes has been taken out of the virtual line system and made standby? Shows new seating areas from a month ago but watching this video you'll see how chaotically congested the park still is. He actually decided to leave early at 1pm as it was so crowded even in the wave pool and lazy river and up to 300 minute waits for the slides.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
    alissafalco and CanadianGordon like this.
  6. Tom Morrow

USF and IOA only had moderate crowds at most this week. I know some of the issue is that this is a brand new park that people want to see, but that can't be all of it. Still hitting capacity by 9:30-10:00 AM when wait times are 10-30 minutes in the other two parks?

Nice to see that already, 2.5 months later, the park is looking more lush as the vegetation grows in.

7. Rob562

Rob562 Well-Known Member

I see they increased the weight limit on the two other trap-door slides to 230 pounds, though it's still not the 300 pounds it was initially. I wonder if they've made the modifications mentioned earlier in this thread and that's the new permanent limit? Or whether the manufacturer dialed in to that number as what they're comfortable with until they can implement the additional supports.

And if the mat slides are open to all, I presume they fixed the slides' exit into the pool they were having issues with?

-Rob

8. mergatroid

Yes he usually does. On this occasion though he specifically mentions that he's leaving because it's so overcrowded and the waits are too long. On the plus side they've put more sun loungers around the park though it does make it feel like there's less room to move in, I suppose it's a bit of a catch 22 situation though.

9. UCF

UCF Member

They could build another park. That parcel they own on the corner of Universal and I-Drive seems like it'd be perfect for a water park!

Eckert likes this.
  10. Spectro

Spectro Active Member

What is it that entices people here rather than the other water parks at Sea world and Disney ? It looks good but I would not enjoy it it as packed out as as it is when we visit.

11. Tom Morrow

Will the massive negative response the park is generating, there's no way it will stay this popular. And then, the opinion of the park will improve.

12. LieutLaww

LieutLaww Underwater Basket Weaver Premium Member

Well it being brand new helps, and that 200ft Volcano is probably a big seller, when you watch Tim's vids of him heading to Universal you see the Volcano in the distance.

andysol likes this.
  13. mergatroid

A few things really. It's new and people want to try new parks out themselves, even with some negative reviews.Many visitors don't do research, for instance your average British guest will likely not have heard any reviews about it (good or bad), unless they've searched for them themselves. The slides are probably the most 'exciting' slides in Florida, that with it again being new makes people want to try it. And finally as this site proves, some people say they're happy with huge wait times as it allows them to enjoy the lazy river, wave pool, shops, bars, restaurants and not forgetting the toilets rather than riding slides.

14. Disneyhead'71

Disneyhead'71 Well-Known Member

I believe the close proximity to so many hotel rooms is proving to be an issue. The park is designed the "handle" a capacity day. But I don't think they intended it to be at capacity every day.

andysol likes this.
  15. trr1

trr1 Well-Known Member

and usually by 11:30 am

Disneyhead'71 likes this.
  16. TheDad

TheDad Well-Known Member

Dude, put the firehose containing Universal koolaid down and open up some windows to get some fresh air. I'm concerned about your ability to defend VB And Universal at all costs.

Please don't give me the speech about drinking pina coladas, partaking in hula hoop competitions and getting massages while waiting for rides because that is exactly what my family does when staying at the HR. Sounds like they are trying to make up for a lack of attractions for people to ride.

They are letting too many people in this park... period ..stop...end of story. This is the general consensus from the non-theme park enthusiasts out there. I went to Uni back in July. That's what guests were saying then and that is what they are saying now. Not sure why it's so hard to believe that guests that are going to VB are only getting 3 to 4 rides in before calling it quits and leaving the park.

Next, I was surprised to see how light lines were at the other two parks. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that VB is cyphening guests at the expense of the other two parks.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
  17. BrianLo

BrianLo Well-Known Member

I think VB speaks to the success of Universal finally capturing a weeklong vacationer. They are a staple of Disney clientele. The issue Universal has right now is that you cannot really make a weeklong vacation out of two parks... so you tack on one, maybe two days in the water park.

Disney on the other hand you tack on the water park to a two week vacation. With a week visit you simply don't have time outside of doing a commando visit. Their water parks attract... <10% of their visitors? I believe VB is capturing a much larger percentage and since it's a water park, it just isn't built to handle that sort of influx.

We've also discovered why a queue-less park is simply not a good idea. Guests just hang out and clog up everything else instead. There really aren't that many people there compared to the theme parks... but it sure feels like it is overstuffed beyond belief. People being in standby lines are a good thing, FP sort of broke the Disney parks, but VB takes it to the extreme and seems rather broken as a result.

Derrit, Fox&Hound, Corey P and 3 others like this.
  18. alissafalco

alissafalco Well-Known Member

Lmao! Im so glad you gave that rude family a taste of their own medicine!! Im sorry you had to experience such trash to begin with.
    As for the park, Id love to go, and everywhere I read its the same complaint of being too over crowded. I think I will wait on VB until I start reading better reviews.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
    TheDad likes this.
  19. captainkidd

captainkidd Well-Known Member

I can easily spend an entire week at the 2 Universal parks. We do it every year. We hit a park in the morning, have lunch, head back to Hard Rock for a swim and a nap, head to City Walk for dinner, then go to the other park for the night. We love it.

BrianLo likes this.
  20. BrianLo

BrianLo Well-Known Member

It's not meant as a knock, I know some people do visit both parks for a week. But, I think you'd agree that you'll probably now slot in a couple of morning or afternoon visits to VB on a weeklong visit. Very few people would walk through the gate of one of Disney's waterparks multiple times as an onsite guest on a week stay. If they even visit either at all during that time.

This is not to say Universal's two parks can't entertain people for a week... but for the average visitor who is now staying for a week - the two parks are significantly enhanced with a third thing to do a couple half days.

andysol likes this.