1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

Volcano Bay

Discussion in 'Universal Orlando' started by Mike C, May 28, 2015.

1. Corey P

Corey P Well-Known Member

They are fun and if you know how to ride a boogie board you can play around on them for a while. I don't surf so never tried with a surf board.

I haven't two guys have their trunks ripped off, no one wants to see that...LOL. Both happened to be tall and skinny, not much butt to hold them on I guess? The girl's are given a shirt if they are wearing a two piece bathing suit so I assume that a few tops have come off in the past. They all wear the shirts they have there, don't know if it's mandatory or what?

I think the capacity would be so low that it's not worth being at VB and as you said I would like to see something original or at least out of the ordinary. We have 3 flowriders within an hour and half from me.

2. mergatroid

mergatroid Well-Known Member

Possibility I'm trying VB out in this next week, looking forward to it if I do.

Rickster7, andysol and Disneyhead'71 like this.
  3. UpAllNight

UpAllNight Well-Known Member

Looking forward to the annual pass blackout being over so our usual vloggers and forum visitors can let us know how the place has come along over the past month. They seemed to be doing a lot of nice additional touches...I just wish they'd sort the back of that Volcano out. Cheapens the entire experience :(

Furiated and andysol like this.
  4. mergatroid

Ok so I've been over this last week for a few days from England to sort out a family property issue and managed a spare day to spend at VB. Luckily I was comped a ticket for VB and a hotel room for 1 night through a friend of my fathers who has some loose business connections with Universal so ventured in on Tuesday.

First impressions on entering the park was that it looks fantastic. The 'reveal' is quite breathtaking and filled me with excitement for the day ahead and as I had early entry I joined the hoards fighting for a sun lounger after navigating the process of acquiring a tapu, tapu wristband. Having early entry meant I was going to take advantage of riding as many slides as I could early on before the waits became prohibitive and I knew in advance it was going to be busy. So I managed a few 'ride now' slides and have to say they were extremely fun and certainly got the adrenaline flowing.

I'm still not completely accepting of the brightly coloured plastic look of the various slides against the backdrop of such a well themed volcano, however you could argue that's just a personal opinion like some guys preferring redheads to blondes etc. Certainly I wasn't going to let that ruin my day there, but it's just an honest observation along with the back of the volcano looking less themed than the front.

Everything was going swimmingly at that stage and after about 9:00am (didn't have my watch on?) I plumped for a tapu, tapu reservation which was around a 30 minute wait. As I returned to my sun lounger I was shocked to discover that a family with loungers next to mine had allowed their wet 10 year old (?) child to lie on my lounger on top of my towel. I did a double take to make sure it was actually my spot and then said "Excuse me but I think you're on my lounger and towel". The mother of the kid then said "EXCUSE ME, please don't tell my child what to do". I politely explained to her that I was merely pointing out that they were on my lounger and hadn't told her child to do anything and she said to her son "Can you please move, this man doesn't know how to ask you politely to get off his lounger which he clearly wasn't using". The boy sighed, gave me a dirty look and mumbled something before moving to bit of the ground near his mum. I resisted the urge to respond to this stupid woman and sat down ignoring them. None of this was Universal's fault but I thought I'd mention it to show what jerks some people are :arghh:

After then using my tapu,tapu reservation the park had become what I can only describe as chaotically busy. It was a real shame because at 10amish in the morning I felt I'd not really been there that long and yet now it felt a bit like a battle to find things to do. I did enjoy the lazy river immensely but it unfortunately became so overcrowded that not only was there a long queue to enter, but once in it was just too overcrowded. Now the wave pool was fun but also a bit overcrowded, I did enjoy spending time in there and the waterfalls on the volcano looked fantastic cascading down the sides. I had got another tapu, tapu reservation but had over an hour to kill so again went back to my sun lounger, again to find this wet kid on my towel and lounger. This time his mum said loudly "He's here" and the boy moved as I approached, I said nothing and sat down and put my headphones on. Now I'm not sure whether this family next to me had put me in a mood or not but I must say that lying there wasn't a very relaxing experience. It felt a bit chaotic and as though they'd crowded way too many loungers in a too small a space. I decided to instead take a walk and look in the shops which I did and though I had no intention on buying anything it was ok looking at stuff for a little while and the shops were well themed.

The food for lunch was delicious, like a kid I plumped for a burger and really enjoyed it. There unfortunately wasn't anywhere to sit to eat it, though being on my own that wasn't too much of an issue and I found a rock to sit on and ate it there. Again as wonderful as this park looks (in most parts), I just couldn't get beyond the feeling that they're letting too many people in. I can best equate this feeling to being in the Magic Kingdom on Christmas day. Like there when you arrive you're blown away with the visuals and it 'feels' great being there initially and you think "Boy, this is going to be a great day". Then after an hour and a half the number of visitors starts to feel too much and you kind of end up stumbling around not going on things you particularly want to, but rather doing anything without a horrendous wait instead. There's still stuff to do and enjoy, however you feel there's something missing from what could potentially be a magnificent park and there's just too many people in there.

By 3pm I was done, hadn't ridden as many slides as I would have wanted (5 of them) but had had an ok experience. I'd not paid but feel I have to judge the day as though I had, as this is the way most people would experience it. On a quiet day I'd say it's worth the money, on a busy one maybe not so. Certainly if I'd paid for 2 of us to go in for the day, I'd have felt a little cheated but I'm sure that when new slides are added this may change things.

Finally as I went to my lounger to leave I noticed my towel was now covered in sand. The family next to me weren't there and had left their stuff on their loungers. I took this opportunity to pick up the mother's bag full of sun lotion, sun glasses, some underwear :eek: and magazines and tipped it out onto the sand next to my lounger. They guy nearest me looked over and smiled whilst nodding his head and off I went feeling quite contented :happy:

Last edited: Jul 29, 2017
    egg, TheDad, alissafalco and 20 others like this.
  5. Eckert

Eckert Well-Known Member

Sweet, sweet, revenge. I would've scooped up handfuls of sand to build my sand castle and "accidentally" drop em in her purse.

One thing I've noticed in general at VB compared to Universal and Islands is in the crowds...the people are much nastier and wilder. It's plain to see that the price drop allows the riff raff to come in, for lack of a better term. I kinda want Universal to hike up the ticket prices because that would definitely cut the crowds by a bit and give people more of the relaxed atmosphere they promised.

6. mergatroid

Even though I got in free, I couldn't help feel that they're letting too many people in to rake in the money whilst the park is new and they know people will go regardless of whether they get the best experience or not. It's hugely popular no doubt but I feel that many are going there expecting to do more than they get to do and that Universal know that but are happy to take their money first and deal with guest satisfaction secondly. You could argue most parks do this and not just Universal and I'd have no problem accepting that.

I know they're planning on new additions shortly as in extra slides, hopefully this will improve the experience for everyone as they have a good park there. I think capacity should be reduced personally, but folk can argue why should they when people are filling the park every day and I'm sure that's not something Universal will want to do as this will cut their revenue.

Hopefully you'll have a great time in September, certainly if there's less people there you'll have more fun if riding slides and not feeling overcrowded is what you're looking for. Some on here don't have an issue with not riding many slides and enjoy the lazy river, the wave pool, exploring the volcano, eating and drinking and using the free toilet facilities. If you want to experience a number of slides though then your enjoyment level should be much higher if the park is quieter in September. I overheard a few people complaining about the wait times whilst there between themselves though there were also people seemingly enjoying themselves so it's all subjective.

Word of advice when you go, get there as early as you can and do as much as you can on the slides straight away as later on you may have very long waits.

TheDad, alissafalco and andysol like this.
  7. Disneyhead'71

Disneyhead'71 Well-Known Member

So Universal cut 28 menu items across the the park, and added a few. They cut most of the specialty items like Poke Bowls, all the tacos, specialty burgers, and BBQ items. The new items are Bacon Burgers, hot dogs, and corn dogs.

https://orlandoinformer.com/blog/vo...=OITwitter&utm_campaign=New&utm_content=Title

This change is very disappointing. The theme appropriate higher quality food options really help add to the theme, and just made the place more enjoyable. I hope it is temporary and they add some more theme appropriate and interesting options soon.

Kram Sacul, photoginit, trr1 and 2 others like this.
  8. Spectro

Spectro Active Member

Disappointing they've removed so many appealing choices. I don't want to eat burgers and hot dogs. Hopefully the park won't be as busy when we go in September as I know my daughters will never be up and ready in time for park opening by the time it takes them for hair and make up to be done.

Glasgow likes this.
  9. Tom Morrow

Tom Morrow Well-Known Member

HAHAHAHAHHAA Oh god. The food was so heavily touted as something that made this park special and it certainly piqued my interest. I recall numerous posts saying this menu wouldn't last long. It made it two whole months!

I really hope that they just decide to charge more and make this a little closer to the premium experience it was essentially advertised as.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
    sunsetblvd26 and andysol like this.
  10. Disneyhead'71

I've been told the new menu is temporary, and that new items are coming. They are reacting right now to a plethora of issues with the food and killing a lot of birds with one stone.

The tacos were getting bad reviews because the shell tastes like wet cardboard. They are reworking those and they will be back. The Hawaiian Pizza and BBQ items weren't selling. The Poke Bowls were slow prep and spoilage issues, and the number of "specialty" burgers were killing them in on demand prep time. They plan on bringing back a few of them. They are also working on some new items.

11. Tom Morrow

Tom Morrow Well-Known Member

Good to hear. It sounded like they just threw their hands up and said "fine! hot dogs and burgers for all."

andysol and Disneyhead'71 like this.
  12. Disneyhead'71

I believe that that is what they did until the park stabilizes.

@GAcoaster over at IU is also reporting some serious staffing issues at both Universal and Disney. They seem to have stressed the pool of available competent and dependable employees by opening Pandora and VB at the same time. Saying Universal may raise starting wage to above $10/hr just to get what they need.

trr1 and andysol like this.
  13. Corey P

Corey P Well-Known Member

If I was Universal I would push the starting pay up. Small amount over all and if you can steal employees from other places you most likely get the better ones.

14. JoeCamel

JoeCamel Well-Known Member

Go to $15 and someone might be able to afford a flop in Kissimmee. Seriously they will need to step it up to attract quality people in the future. Otherwise you get the "living a dream" people who soon find out it isn't all it's cracked up to be.
    I did see that if they gave me the team member rate at CBBR I could live there for less than what I pay to own and have a lazy river and maid service. Hmmmmm....

Spectro and mergatroid like this.
  15. UpAllNight

What's the word on expansion the CEO said about 6 weeks back they were possibly 3 weeks away from announcing.

16. Disneyhead'71

Technically, it has already started, the order has gone out to ProSlide. The problem is, construction on the park was supposed to be completed by now, and the construction trailers removed. That hasn't happened yet.

UpAllNight and trr1 like this.
  17. Eckert

Eckert Well-Known Member

Is anyone surprised? I think we could all pull up the list of things that they said would happen one way and actually happened another.

"No long lines" - Volcano Bay, 2017

egg likes this.
  18. photoginit

photoginit Well-Known Member

Never did try the tacos. Surprised about the Hawaiian Pizza not selling. At least they didn't take away the Mango Pulled Pork Sandwich and the Coconut Crusted Chicken. Those are 2 of the best things on the menu. Disappointed about the ribs. They were pretty good. Glad they are working on new items. The food is one of the things that made the park stand out and gave hope to a future revamp of some of the QS at IOA and USF which has some really bad QS restaurants.

Disneyhead'71 likes this.
  19. UpAllNight

Don't suppose you have details on what slides were ordered?

20. Disneyhead'71

Hydromagnetic Mammoth.

Eckert and photoginit like this.