Volcano Bay

flynnibus

Premium Member
Is VB's attendance coming from Disney or is it cannabolizing guests from its own theme parks?
It's probably too early to tell. Was just wondering whether anyone has noticed a decrease in wait times at the Universal Theme Parks.
I have a friend that works at Universal and has stated that ride lines at the theme parks appear to be more manageable since VB has opened. I have no idea if this is true or not. Was wondering what everyone else has observed regarding ride line patterns at both Universal parks since the opening of VB.
As long as those people are still buying food and merch... uni won't care what park they are in. That just frees up more capacity for other guests.

Remember something like VB is intended to make stays longer... not necessarily draw guests on its own.

cheezbat

No, Typhoon Lagoon averaged around 8000 guests per day last year. Remember it's closed for a refurb every year.
While they may have averaged 8,000 guests a day, the supposed max cap is 6,000. You do know just because 6,000 may be there at 11am it doesn't mean those same 6,000 people are in he park at 4pm...I know the waterparks are especially infamous for people leaving earlier in the day and then going to one of the theme parks, or vice versa.

mergatroid

While they may have averaged 8,000 guests a day, the supposed max cap is 6,000. You do know just because 6,000 may be there at 11am it doesn't mean those same 6,000 people are in he park at 4pm...I know the waterparks are especially infamous for people leaving earlier in the day and then going to one of the theme parks, or vice versa.

I doubt Disney cares about that to be honest, they've all paid to get in. And if 8,000 pass through the gates, even more paying guests :cool:

mergatroid

As long as those people are still buying food and merch... uni won't care what park they are in. That just frees up more capacity for other guests.

Remember something like VB is intended to make stays longer... not necessarily draw guests on its own.

I think it will do this too.

Journey_On

The park hit Phase 3 capacity this morning. Around 1:45, the park was at Phase 2 capacity (only resort guests allowed).

Then again, it's summer and kind of a holiday weekend.

captainkidd

With VB being a part of the hopper pass, crowds won't subside soon. And Universal just released plans on their 2 new resorts being built on the old Wet-N-Wild site which will add a couple thousand more guests staying on property and utilizing that early hour of entry to VB as well.

Universal is really stepping up their game and giving Disney some good competition for getting guests to stay on their property. And the best part about it? They build things at twice the speed of Disney.

I love Universal but building things twice as fast isn't always a good thing. VB was clearly rushed. And the quality of attractions is starting to grow stale with all the simulators.

I love that they want to expand, but they need to be careful. They are never going to have the freedom of space that Disney does and having too much in a small area could turn into a traffic nightmare.

raven

I love Universal but building things twice as fast isn't always a good thing. VB was clearly rushed. And the quality of attractions is starting to grow stale with all the simulators.

I love that they want to expand, but they need to be careful. They are never going to have the freedom of space that Disney does and having too much in a small area could turn into a traffic nightmare.
Disney has the freedom is space but in the past 10 years hasn't added anything, only replaced. So much for that "plussing" idea.

And isn't the big ride in the newly opened "Pandora" a simulator?

Tom Morrow

To be fair, while Volcano Bay clearly needed another two months before grand opening, it was still built very fast. (but also not without some cut corners)

mergatroid

I know I shouldn't laugh but this poor chap appeared to have the worst luck ever.

Stay well clear if you want an enjoyable day, you want to keep your hair on your hair and you dont want your blood vessels to pop from the stress and headache this park brings.

To begin this was our 3rd attempt to get into this park in 3 days having been turned away at 9:13 & 9:50 previously. Upon arriving the parking staff said we couldn't visit Volcano Bay at all, its too full. We explained this was our third attempt and we were going home soon and we had paid for tickets we can not use. Same 'sorry but nothing i can do'. We demanded to speak to a manager which was not simple. We were given directions to visit valet, drop off and guest relations to sumbit our complaint. Long story short after doing a 2 mile round trip back n forth & fobbed off by several staff we started to record on our phone and we were getting very frustrated. Anyhow we paid into parking and was told to visit VB guest relations in the parking lot to complain and refund our parking charge $20. In the parking garage VB staff were there saying ' welcome the next bus to VB leaves now'. Shocked we told then we have been given the runaround for the last 2 hours outside and they are turning people away. They said oh just come in. So we get in the park. None of the staff have a clue what there job is or any information you ask them. Has there been no training?? No sun loungers available as expected park rammed to the rafters shoulder to shoulder walking. Anyhow 3 hours after beginning our day we attempt a ride. Again as expected 190 minute wait. I visited concierge because im disabled and i had an assistance pass for the duration of my multi park tickets and was told to link it to my tapu band. The man at concierge would not give me time of day and said no no no cant use it hear. I explained a ride operator told me i can but no avail. Later on visited another concierge who said i can use my pass and i had to walk back and forth around the park spending 1 hour getting this sorted. Its now 3 pm and have not rode anything yet. In the end i managed about 3 rides and was also discriminated by a staff member at the aqua coaster who said i shouldn't use the elevator because im not wheel chair bound, i explained i struggle with steps she replied ' but your not in a wheelchair' 5pm a storm came in and brought the park to a halt. Left at 6. Started the day arguing with parking staff at 9:20. Left at 6pm having rode 3 rides and not very happy. The sprinkler system on the floor is very poor and my feet burnt several times, the floor is slippy too when wet around the park. The park was clearly rushed and its very evident around the park regarding details, decor and work men drilling digging making a racket while you want to relax. Also we had a 4 year old with us and was in the lazy river who was on an adults lap in a ring as she kept slipping out of hers. Staff repeated if she doesnt get in her own ring we have to leave the river even the she was fine on the lap, she was made to have her own ring, she went under water 3 minutes later and a life guard had to jump in.. point proved.

Again stay well away from this park its too small, too packed, to rushed and the staff are clueless with no customer service.

Enter or attempt to at your own risk but you will be wasting your money guarentee. I wish we booked for Aquatics instead i imagine it would be quiet seen as the whole of florida is attempting to get into this park at the same time

captainkidd

Disney has the freedom is space but in the past 10 years hasn't added anything, only replaced. So much for that "plussing" idea.

And isn't the big ride in the newly opened "Pandora" a simulator?

Yeah, but it is the only simulator in the park. I'm not trying to compare the two. Pointless and they both do things well and not so well.
On one hand, I applaud Universal for maximizing the space they have. On the other, I worry they're putting too many toppings on a sundae.

Tom Morrow

The glowing defense of the park here is not coherent with the reactions to the park in the real world. I can't imagine any brand new park has had this rough of an opening in decades. Every day sounds like the first day of operation. This is the type of thing that shouldn't happen in an industry that has existed over 60 years, from an established theme park operator, in Orlando of all places.

EpcotEric01

The glowing defense of the park here is not coherent with the reactions to the park in the real world. I can't imagine any brand new park has had this rough of an opening in decades. Every day sounds like the first day of operation. This is the type of thing that shouldn't happen in an industry that has existed over 60 years, from an established theme park operator, in Orlando of all places.
How many times have you been? Or are just basing your opinion on the "real world". There are many other sites out there contradict what trip adviser reviews say. thousands of people visit VB daily usually closing it minutes after they open, yet only 500 reviews. over 100,000 people have gone to VB already. I will take the opinions/reviews of people on this site and others over Trip Advisor everyday, for god sakes that site just voted Islands of Adventure the best theme park again.

raven

This is also The very first water park Universal has ever built. Remember Disneyland's opening? Animal Kingdom opening reactions?

Flight of Passage was only a 20 minute wait yesterday, on its 2nd most crowded holiday weekend since it opening. Looks like those 6 years of developement, construction and hype is already wearing off just a month after Pandora opens.

Meanwhile Volcano Bay is still often closing it's gates early due to capacity over a month after opening.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom