Volcano Bay

rushtest4echo

The customized rafts are already out.
DAS5ibsXkAIXskY.jpg

Glad to see it! They look great!

As far as the eruption, are they planning on projection mapping lava down the mountain still? Anyone know?

BubbaQuest

Here is the best video we have so far as it relates to colors and tech. Keep in mind this was Day 1 of testing.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Valor_800m/status/866150463615512576/video/1

You'll notice that the top of the volcano can change colors- but they now have the waterfall having color as well. Looks to be projection but could be rear lit LEDs- the angle doesn't really help.
Additionally, the spotlights can change color, as well as whatever that giant light is on the back- assuming a simple projection. Not sure.

I also know they have a TON of lights installed in the wave pool so I'm guessing we'll see an eruption, then "lava flow" (waterfall) into a pit of lava which is the wave pool. Heck, they might use one of their wave motions to simulate lava, maybe the very small waves.

Speaking of the wave pool- it's pretty awesome. Tons of different wave motions and from several directions makes for some unique splashes- it's pretty impressive. I haven't seen a huge "surfable" wave like TL. If they can pull that off- I'll be the best wave pool ive ever seen. TL is still the best in Orlando IMO (although I understand why several don't like it)

I'm not sure I'm a fan of the color changing. The orange lava looked pretty spot on. But if they have the color "flow" from the top of the volcano all the way down into the wave pool, that is going to be an amazing sight.

mergatroid

My friend who works at Universal has told me that none of the Volcano slides will be up opening day, not even the aquacoaster... :eek: Apparently that hasn't even been fully signed off on yet. They are already preparing for a lot of compensation.

If true, (not that I'm doubting you) it's a tough call what they're better off doing? Putting off opening and have lots of complaining, or opening and have lots of people complaining because a number of slides aren't open? I suppose if you've booked a trip around opening day then you'd prefer to at least get in, even if everything isn't working. However it's not a good situation for management to handle, fingers crossed everything is working on opening day because it looks a very good water park.

Disneyhead'71

It's going to be interesting, for sure.

I'm pretty sure some of the slides will be open, but the drop slides, mat slides, aquacoaster, one of the rivers, and the kids area do not appear ready.

Bartattack

May understanding is there will be direct hotel to Volcano Bay buses. I'm wondering if they are just expanding the route of the existing buses that already went from hotel to hotel.

There won't be a direct bus route from the hotels (except Cabana Bay). You have to take a water taxi/bus to City walk and then take the shuttle to Volcano Bay

rushtest4echo

There won't be a direct bus route from the hotels (except Cabana Bay). You have to take a water taxi/bus to City walk and then take the shuttle to Volcano Bay

That's going to be dumber than anything Disney has going with transport (and their transport, especially to water parks, is really dumb). Water taxis take 10-20 minutes depending on several factors. The walk over to the bus zone is another 10 minutes. Then there will be a 10 minute wait for the bus and a 5-10 minute transfer time to the park. That's mind blowingly stupid. I've not taken a resort bus to the bus transfer area, so hopefully that alleviates much of my concern. Still, with every guest needing to take a bus to the new park (even people who have their own cars), I don't see how they're going to reliably and quickly move 5,000+ people per hour over to VB from that bus area every morning and evening during peak hours. More than half of Disney's water park visitors come in cars and park right outside the park. Universal isn't going to have the luxury.

Disneyhead'71

That's going to be dumber than anything Disney has going with transport (and their transport, especially to water parks, is really dumb). Water taxis take 10-20 minutes depending on several factors. The walk over to the bus zone is another 10 minutes. Then there will be a 10 minute wait for the bus and a 5-10 minute transfer time to the park. That's mind blowingly stupid. I've not taken a resort bus to the bus transfer area, so hopefully that alleviates much of my concern. Still, with every guest needing to take a bus to the new park (even people who have their own cars), I don't see how they're going to reliably and quickly move 5,000+ people per hour over to VB from that bus area every morning and evening during peak hours.
I thought the plan was to have resort busses, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

I believe this is a serious misstep on Uni's part.

HauntedMansionFLA

My friend who works at Universal has told me that none of the Volcano slides will be up opening day, not even the aquacoaster... :eek: Apparently that hasn't even been fully signed off on yet. They are already preparing for a lot of compensation.
It's hard to make a good, first impression after the first day.

sonoma15

Your friend is wrong. As of right now we know only the water coaster, drop slides, and mat slides won't be open.

BubbaQuest

I couple of new updates about TapuTapu: http://blog.universalorlando.com/whats-new/volcano-bay-taputapu/

NEW! TapTu Snap/My Universal Photo Access: You’ll be able to take advantage of special interactive photo opps and selfie-spots throughout the park.

NEW! Locker Access: After you rent your locker, you’ll be able to access it with just a touch of your TapuTapu wearable.

You can also create a FREE account that will connect all of your information together, whether you’re on your home computer or the Official Universal Orlando Resort App.

NOTE: You do NOT need a free account to take advantage of TapTu Play, Virtual Line, TapTu Snap or Locker Access. But you DO need it to have a digital ticket and to enable TapTu Pay.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom