1. The new WDWMAGIC app for iPhone and iPad is now available on the App Store.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

Volcano Bay

Discussion in 'Universal Orlando' started by Mike C, May 28, 2015.

1. mergatroid

mergatroid Well-Known Member

As I said previously to me TL will always appear more 'natural' and relaxing than VB will, though VB will probably be more 'exciting' and 'thrilling'. It's almost unfair comparing them as they're heading in slightly different directions.

danpam1024 likes this.
  2. TheDad

TheDad Member

SPOT ON!!!

3. JoeCamel

JoeCamel Well-Known Member

Glad we don't have to contend with either of you at the park. It is so underwhelming (before you visit) than I am sure you will cancel and attend DIS parks only. Great, more room for us that don't put up preconceived notions as what I will experience in reality. Stay far far away please.

danpam1024, brb1006 and trr1 like this.
  4. TheDad

TheDad Member

Chill Bro.
    Got my tix for July! Actually can't wait!
    Doing three days at the Dis and two at Universal!!

Also, can't wait to see the traffic from inside the park. I'm sure that will bring a special feel to the place!LOL!!!

Ha...just kidding. Lighten up.

5. Corey P

Corey P Well-Known Member

From ground level this will look much different then a heli view.

I do have to say they should have used tubes that were less colorful and blended in better with the whole theme.

We will see and if you don't like it don't go to it. I think it will serve my purposes fine.

Last edited: May 12, 2017
    CanadianGordon and mergatroid like this.
  6. Tom Morrow

Tom Morrow Well-Known Member

"Oh, you wanted immersion? You must be a Disney fan boy then, because nobody else would care that much!"

- the calling card of the Universal fan boy

7. mergatroid

Not falling out with you but what a strange post and I'm afraid you will have to contend with me as I'll be visiting to try it out and I'm looking forward to it :). I'm a huge fan of both Disney AND UNIVERSAL and others will hopefully testify to this from my numerous HHN threads. I'm just debating the new water park using the same logic people do about Disney on here. I think and have said that I believe VB will be both excting and thrilling, just a tad disappointed about some of the appearances but it won't stop me having fun there.

Seems on here if you say anything deemed 'negative' about Universal then you're a Disney fan boy but if you criticise Disney you're just expressing an opinion?

8. EpcotEric01

EpcotEric01 Member

You're disappointed about the appearance of a park you've only seen from a drone? Take a drone above any park and you'd be "disappointed", as far as traffic, you won't see any traffic once you are in the park, you won't see I4 or Turkey Lake Rd. Sure you'll see them once you go up to ride a slide, but how is that any different than say Summit Plummet?

9. mergatroid

Sorry I don't think I mentioned the view of traffic, possibly mixing me up with somebody else? The disappointment isn't particularly from the drone either, I'm assuming the coloured tubing will still look coloured from the ground and the side of the mountain won't be there from the ground either?

It won't stop me going to what I believe will be a fun and exciting park in a place I love, I'm merely saying it's slightly different to how I expected and is just my opinion. If it makes you feel any better I think the restaurants in Pandora look a bit disappointing too, I love both parks but can see things I'm a tad critical of at times?

Tom Morrow likes this.
  10. danpam1024

danpam1024 Well-Known Member

Why are people "disappointed" BEFORE the place is 1. Finished and 2. OPENED???:confused::confused::confused: Seems this way for some about EVERYTHING UOR does. So there's not a back side of the volcano- don't you think for a second the creative people wanted one? It's obviously not there for a reason, most glaringly because of darkness and heat. They'd probably have to use so much chlorine it would melt your skin off in order to keep the mold/algae away. And can you even imagine how HOT it would be inside the tubes? Yuck! Is everyone still upset that the bamboo isn't green as well. In the drought? Sheesh.:facepalm:

Princess Leia, Corey P and JoeCamel like this.
  11. TheDad

TheDad Member

So I'll give this a shot since I am not a critic of the park but perhaps have been critical. Universal is setting the bar high on this one. Essentially they are calling it their third gate. If you are going to do that, then you better bring it!!!
    You are right. To be fair the park is not open and I won't be there till July 20th, so no one should have formulated a conclusion on this one yet.

With that being said, from the looks of it this it is going to be a really nice water park but if this is all that was accomplished I will disappointed because this is not what was promised and just based on looks today, this is NOT aesthetically nicer that the two Disney water parks. This looks like any water park USA with a mountain in the middle which in all honesty should have been closed off for added effect. Regarding the "heating the tubes comment" there are methods to cool down the mountain.

I just expect more from Universal these days and I feel like after Harry Potter they are starting to cheap out on some things. That's all.

Last edited: May 14, 2017
    Tom Morrow, danpam1024 and mergatroid like this.
  12. mergatroid

If that's the case then fair enough, though Expedition Everest, Space Mountain and Big Thunder Mountain have managed to control the temperatures inside them ok so the technology to do it has been around for well over 40 years? I won't mention it again though as my intention isn't to upset folk, just thinking out loud really and it surprised me after seeing the concept artwork. Again I can't stress enough that it looks like a fun park, it will no doubt be a great day out and another fine addition to the Orlando attractions.

13. danpam1024

None of those examples have tubes of water running through them. Different animal.

14. mergatroid

Splash Mountain?

Edit: sorry I said I wouldn't mention it again.

15. danpam1024

Not an enclosed tube :D

mergatroid likes this.
  16. mergatroid

Make the tube unenclosed then :D

danpam1024 likes this.
  17. Disneyhead'71

Disneyhead'71 Well-Known Member

Everyone is saying that the backside of the volcano is "unfinished" like the backside of Everest. The backside of the volcano is finished. There are no exposed metal supports for the volcano visible. And the entire interior of the volcano is lined with rock work. There is more rock work inside the volcano than they would have used if the had rounded out and enclosed the back. The "blown out" volcano is the look Universal Creative wanted and the colored slides will be visually striking inside the cauldera.

You guys are acting like Universal ran out of money and said good enough. Which is ridiculous. And no, Universal did not get a deal on "ugly colored" slides and they didn't refuse to pay more for the special "Disney Xtra-Tan" slides. They actually chose the colored slides on purpose.

Not everyone does everything the Disney way. And having colored slides is only an abomination to a few closed minded individuals.

Last edited: May 14, 2017
    andysol and danpam1024 like this.
  18. danpam1024

Can you imagine the drop slide with a partial tube:eek:

mergatroid likes this.
  19. mergatroid

Would be exciting :)? They could have the 'drop slide' elsewhere or have it in a transparent tube on the side of the volcano. If they'd have wanted to enclose the entire volcano with slides in it, they could have done it. Probably like Disney with the Yeti, they weigh up the costs and then decide no to do it.

Anyway as much as I'm enjoying our chat, I'll respectfully pull out of it at this point. I don't want to come across as being anti-Uni or trolling unnecessarily and the more I discuss my point, I fear the more I'll seem like I'm doing that.

danpam1024 likes this.
  20. TheDad

TheDad Member

WOW! Throw insults around much?
    Don't put words in my mouth.
    Secondly, I think you could take your own advice on being closed minded.
    Just sharing ideas and thoughts. It's a forum. Just because thoughts differ from yours doesn't give you the right to open up the firing range on people.
    I read your OPINIONS and guess what I strongly disagree but doesn't mean I'm going to mow you down.
    Geezzzz...

mergatroid likes this.