Volcano Bay

lebeau

It looks like Volcano Bay is included in Early Park Admission. However, the Premier resorts do *not* include Express Passes to Volcano Bay. That's disappointing. However, it gives me even more reason to stay at Cabana Bay for my next trip!

Still no info on the new Cabana Bay Towers though.

Is that accurate?

rushtest4echo

When some of the slides have a capacity of under 200 per hour (ironically, the biggest most iconic ones besides the hydromagnetic one- which is excluded from express anyway), then it's very hard to allow paid line jumping. If they allowed passholders to line jump as well, it would just exacerbate the problem. I still think this will be the biggest unforeseen challenge that Universal will face with the "no queueing" aspect when it's combined with the "paid line jumping" stuff. Imagine this scenario:

Slide allows say 1 rider every 20 seconds (as the big iconic one in front will likely do). Universal will probably have 10 minute windows which means about 30 riders can go during that 10 minute slot. If all 30 show up at the same time, and an additional 30 people show up with Express, then there are now 60 people in line. Since it takes 10 minutes to get 30 people through, the person at the end of that process, despite being promised "no queueing" is in fact going to have to queue for 20 minutes. It's just unavoidable. At a water park where capacities are usually in the low hundreds, I think it's going to be extremely challenging to schedule enough people to keep the slide full, yet not ever having a queue especially with express.

Maybe they'll do away with time slots and just "call you" when it's time to slide with no real definitive timeframe during booking. Even then, they'll need to call 30 - 50 people at a time and hope they all arrive in a staggered order. Then they'll also have to hope 50 express people don't walk up before the timed entry people arrive.

Last edited:

trr1

TAPUTAPU AT UNIVERSAL’S VOLCANO BAY – COMPLETE GUIDE
How much does a TapuTapu cost at Volcano Bay? How do I get one?
TapuTapu is included with your Volcano Bay park admission. As you enter the gates of the park, you’ll receive the wristband device. However, it should be noted that, unlike Disney’s MagicBand, you will have to surrender your TapuTapu when you leave Volcano Bay for the day.

What can I do with TapuTapu at Universal’s Volcano Bay?
A few uses for TapuTapu have been announced. We’ll cover these, and then we will get into some of the other possibilities based off of the device.

Hold your place in line using TapuTapu at Volcano Bay
The most prominent advertised use for TapuTapu is by far to hold your place in line for the rides. All rides at Universal’s Volcano Bay will have a Virtual Line – in other words, guests will enter the line for whichever attraction they’d like to ride by tapping their wristband. When it’s time to ride, your wristband will vibrate and notify you.

(We should note here that Universal has quietly announced, in the form of fine-print details for the renting of private cabanas at the water park, that visitors will be able to both book and modify their Virtual Line reservations from within the comfort of their cabanas. Our sources, however, have cast some doubt on this possibility, as they have yet to hear anything about this – which might mean nothing or might mean everything. We’ll keep you updated as we find out more – or, ideally, as Universal officially announces more.)

Interact with the environment using TapuTapu at Volcano Bay
Another feature promoted greatly is the ability for guests to interact with the environment around them using their TapuTapu. Not much has been shared about the interactive elements, outside of guests being able to use the device to set off water jets and “dazzling lighting effects.”

Rumored Capabilities

It’s widely believed that the technology behind TapuTapu is something called Prism from a company known as Accesso. Accesso is a technology company that has worked with Universal in the past, supplying the devices for their Q-Bot program inside both Universal Studios Florida and Islands of Adventure.

The Prism, which was unveiled in November 2016, has several capabilities that have yet to be mentioned by Universal.

Payments: Prism devices have Near Field Communication (NFC) technology within them. If Universal wanted, it could enable this inside of TapuTapu to allow guests to wander around Volcano Bay without the need for a wallet or cash. (And, indeed, our sources have backed up this very possibility.)

Messaging: Universal will be able to send you messages on your TapuTapu using Bluetooth built into the device. While this is to be expected for things like notifying you that it’s your turn to ride the attractions, the company can take it a step further, if it wishes.

For example, you could be walking by a food stand within Volcano Bay and receive a notification on your TapuTapu that you’re eligible to receive $2 off Chocolate Pineapple Upside Down Cakes. Another possibility would be for the management to be able to send you a notification if they choose to extend park hours. It’s completely unknown if Universal will choose to utilize this functionality, but it’s there if it wants to.

Photography: Again, no indication if Universal will use the functionality yet, but the Prism (TapuTapu) device can automatically tag your ride and park photographs and add them to an album. If this sounds familiar, it’s because this is a feature in Disney’s MagicBands – and one that we’d be surprised to not see come to fruition at the water theme park.
Access: TapuTapu has the capability to be used for opening lockers and hotel room doors. You’ll turn in your TapuTapu at the end of the day, so we can rule out opening hotel room doors like MagicBands. However, using your new wristband to open lockers is a distinct possibility.

Intelligence: While it may never be advertised, giving each guest a TapuTapu allows Universal to collect guest “journey information” in real time, which can help operators run the new park as smoothly as possible.

How durable is TapuTapu? What if I have allergies?
Your TapuTapu will be extremely durable. Beyond being waterproof (duh), it features a touch screen 32MM high resolution LCD display protected by Gorilla Glass. The band is hypoallergenic.

Speaking of the technical specifications, the device also has a reinforced housing, a vibration notification motor, and a battery that allows for over 200 days of park usage.

We have a lot more information on Universal’s Volcano Bay. Choose the next page you wish to visit in the index below.

prism.png

Disneyhead'71

From the sounds of the new tech I'm thinking I don't want to be there until Universal irons out any problems. It's always cool to be early to something new but I'm thinking this will not run smooth for a while?

The green and purple tubes in those pics annoy me I have to say. Got to be a way to hide those or theme them. They are just straight up water park generic pipes. I don't know if there is some sort of safety reason, if the thing needs a section unbolted in a hurry?

Yes those bamboo are not looking good. They should not be brown.
I'm thinking, if they were going to hide the tubes, they wouldn't have chosen green and blue.

JoeCamel

Everything in Orlando is brown right now, we're in a pretty bad drought.
And bamboo will go brown when they are first installed, those cane die and as you water the roots it sends up new ones. Natural and can grow a foot a day. 30 days out? could be 20 - 30 foot of green by opening. We need rain though

rushtest4echo

So... you've got a virtual queueing system that requires people to walk up to the front of the attraction queue in order to book a spot in line- unless you've paid for a cabana (maybe)? Come on, seriously? They allowed you to book any attraction at any time back when express was free 15 years ago. Lame...

I really do hope Tapu Tapu ends up making the water park experience better, not worse.

Rob562

I wonder what happens when you don't return the tapu tapu?

I would assume there are sensors at the exit gates just like a store that go off when you try to leave the park with a band. If you have to leave to take a break or go back to your car, you turn the band in and get it (or a replacement) back when you return.

-Rob

Rider

It's probably like how they handle 3D glasses now. They have team members who make sure each person hands one over as they are leaving. Plus each one is alarmed and there will be another team member to stop you if you set off the alarm.

rushtest4echo

I'm sure the park gates will simply have some sort of anti-theft scanners like most stores have, and they'll be attenuated to pick up Tapu's signals. Pretty simple unless someone figures out how to remove the batteries. Even then, there are passive methods to prevent theft as well.

trr1

TAPUTAPU AT UNIVERSAL’S VOLCANO BAY – COMPLETE GUIDE
How much does a TapuTapu cost at Volcano Bay? How do I get one?

TapuTapu is included with your Volcano Bay park admission. As you enter the gates of the park, you’ll receive the wristband device. However, it should be noted that, unlike Disney’s MagicBand, you will have to surrender your TapuTapu when you leave Volcano Bay for the day.

What can I do with TapuTapu at Universal’s Volcano Bay?

A few uses for TapuTapu have been announced. We’ll cover these, and then we will get into some of the other possibilities based off of the device.

Hold your place in line using TapuTapu at Volcano Bay
The most prominent advertised use for TapuTapu is by far to hold your place in line for the rides. All rides at Universal’s Volcano Bay will have a Virtual Line – in other words, guests will enter the line for whichever attraction they’d like to ride by tapping their wristband. When it’s time to ride, your wristband will vibrate and notify you.

(We should note here that Universal has quietly announced, in the form of fine-print details for the renting of private cabanas at the water park, that visitors will be able to both book and modify their Virtual Line reservations from within the comfort of their cabanas. Our sources, however, have cast some doubt on this possibility, as they have yet to hear anything about this – which might mean nothing or might mean everything. We’ll keep you updated as we find out more – or, ideally, as Universal officially announces more.)

Interact with the environment using TapuTapu at Volcano Bay
Another feature promoted greatly is the ability for guests to interact with the environment around them using their TapuTapu. Not much has been shared about the interactive elements, outside of guests being able to use the device to set off water jets and “dazzling lighting effects.”

Rumored Capabilities
It’s widely believed that the technology behind TapuTapu is something called Prism from a company known as Accesso. Accesso is a technology company that has worked with Universal in the past, supplying the devices for their Q-Bot program inside both Universal Studios Florida and Islands of Adventure.

The Prism, which was unveiled in November 2016, has several capabilities that have yet to be mentioned by Universal.

Payments: Prism devices have Near Field Communication (NFC) technology within them. If Universal wanted, it could enable this inside of TapuTapu to allow guests to wander around Volcano Bay without the need for a wallet or cash. (And, indeed, our sources have backed up this very possibility.)

Messaging: Universal will be able to send you messages on your TapuTapu using Bluetooth built into the device. While this is to be expected for things like notifying you that it’s your turn to ride the attractions, the company can take it a step further, if it wishes.

For example, you could be walking by a food stand within Volcano Bay and receive a notification on your TapuTapu that you’re eligible to receive $2 off Chocolate Pineapple Upside Down Cakes. Another possibility would be for the management to be able to send you a notification if they choose to extend park hours. It’s completely unknown if Universal will choose to utilize this functionality, but it’s there if it wants to.

Photography: Again, no indication if Universal will use the functionality yet, but the Prism (TapuTapu) device can automatically tag your ride and park photographs and add them to an album. If this sounds familiar, it’s because this is a feature in Disney’s MagicBands – and one that we’d be surprised to not see come to fruition at the water theme park.
Access: TapuTapu has the capability to be used for opening lockers and hotel room doors. You’ll turn in your TapuTapu at the end of the day, so we can rule out opening hotel room doors like MagicBands. However, using your new wristband to open lockers is a distinct possibility.

Intelligence: While it may never be advertised, giving each guest a TapuTapu allows Universal to collect guest “journey information” in real time, which can help operators run the new park as smoothly as possible.

How durable is TapuTapu? What if I have allergies?

Your TapuTapu will be extremely durable. Beyond being waterproof (duh), it features a touch screen 32MM high resolution LCD display protected by Gorilla Glass. The band is hypoallergenic.

Speaking of the technical specifications, the device also has a reinforced housing, a vibration notification motor, and a battery that allows for over 200 days of park usage.

We have a lot more information on Universal’s Volcano Bay. Choose the next page you wish to visit in the index below.

prism.png
Make payments using TapuTapu at Volcano Bay
Guests will be able to enter a credit card (and PIN) number into their TapuTapu wearable and have that be used as the payment method for everything inside the water park, allowing them to leave their wallets behind for the day. Even better, users will be able to set, and then keep tabs on, spending limits for each individual member of their party.

BubbaQuest

Make payments using TapuTapu at Volcano Bay
Guests will be able to enter a credit card (and PIN) number into their TapuTapu wearable and have that be used as the payment method for everything inside the water park, allowing them to leave their wallets behind for the day. Even better, users will be able to set, and then keep tabs on, spending limits for each individual member of their party.

Sweet!!! Glad to read they finally added this feature!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom