Volcano Bay

lazyboy97o

I wonder if they are going to have only water rides.....I can not swim so I don't go on slides or anything so I wonder if it would be a waste to but a ticket or not
It is a water park, so I am not sure what other type of attractions you would be expecting. Not all water slides end in a pool of water, so there would be experiences that don't require actual swimming.

Tom Morrow

Looking at recent aerial photos, I realized that I kind of question the choice to build the two Cabana Bay towers so close to the park. They aren't there to block the view of anything else, they aren't really in theme with the park, and they will throw off the scale of the volcano structure. Then again, it isn't all that surprising, since Universal rarely considers how new things will affect the aesthetics and sightlines of existing things. (with the exception of Diagon Alley, of course).
And disagee that the Disney parks will be more relaxing. Just because VB will have some large exciting slides doesn't mean the park won't have a serene relaxing feel. I'm thinking VB will have an almost DAK lushness. Everything I've seen makes me think that having a pretty chill day at VB would be pretty easy.
It will absolutely have to rival DAK in lushness of the vegetation and landscaping for it to feel immersive on a world-class level.

My gut seriously tells me though that it's more along the lines of Aquatica + volcano structure + themed awnings over slide loading platforms.

JoeCamel

Looking at recent aerial photos, I realized that I kind of question the choice to build the two Cabana Bay towers so close to the park. They aren't there to block the view of anything else, they aren't really in theme with the park, and they will throw off the scale of the volcano structure.

I think once they build the glass tower across the street the CBBR towers will look more natural

JT3000

It will absolutely have to rival DAK in lushness of the vegetation and landscaping for it to feel immersive on a world-class level.

Why do you keep applying various theme park standards to a water park? Why does Volcano Bay have to reach a level that Disney's own water parks fall well short of in order for it to be justified? First it was the Diagon Alley of water parks, now it has to be the DAK of water parks.Those things don't exist, and we both know Volcano Bay won't change that.

If Disney were the ones building a new water park, I feel like it could be the Chester & Hester's Dino-rama of water parks and we still wouldn't hear a peep out of a certain crowd.

mergatroid

Why do you keep applying various theme park standards to a water park? Why does Volcano Bay have to reach a level that Disney's own water parks fall well short of in order for it to be justified? First it was the Diagon Alley of water parks, now it has to be the DAK of water parks.Those things don't exist, and we both know Volcano Bay won't change that.

If Disney were the ones building a new water park, I feel like it could be the Chester & Hester's Dino-rama of water parks and we still wouldn't hear a peep out of a certain crowd.

I think he may have been following this post?

And disagee that the Disney parks will be more relaxing. Just because VB will have some large exciting slides doesn't mean the park won't have a serene relaxing feel. I'm thinking VB will have an almost DAK lushness. Everything I've seen makes me think that having a pretty chill day at VB would be pretty easy.

lazyboy97o

Universal's Volcano Bay Water Theme Park

And good job bringing up Disney, again.

Last edited:

21stamps

As for the arguing about the interstate views, well to some they don't appear to matter and to others they do. I guess we'll have to wait and see how it turns out, though the slides do look exciting and to some that may be the most important factor.

For me personally however, I love the 'secluded' feeling that Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach have by not being right next to a highway. Yes you can see the odd building in the distance from certain points, but you feel far removed enough from civilization to be completely immersed as though on a tropical island. Maybe you'll get this feeling in Volcano Bay on the ground, though I doubt it will feel the same at least not in the same relaxing sort of way?

As for arguing which is going to be the better of the water parks, again it appears to me it will depend on what sort of experience you're looking for as I think they'll be rather different. For those wanting faster, bigger water slides who aren't that bothered about seeing plastic and metal everywhere, then Volcano Bay may win. For those wanting a more serene, immersive and relaxing experience, then the Disney water parks may very well win? It's possible to give both water parks their merits and see they both have a great deal to offer.

This is the entire Uni vs WDW debate imo.
2 very different experiences, not completely comparable. I love them both, for different reasons.

AndrewsJ

I wonder if they are going to have only water rides.....I can not swim so I don't go on slides or anything so I wonder if it would be a waste to but a ticket or not
I'm not a swimmer either but I do water slides. I've never encountered a pool at the end of a slide that was too deep. I just stand up and walk out of them. Of course always check the depth before going down the slide because there could be some that require swimming I just haven't seen them.

21stamps

I'm not a swimmer either but I do water slides. I've never encountered a pool at the end of a slide that was too deep. I just stand up and walk out of them. Of course always check the depth before going down the slide because there could be some that require swimming I just haven't seen them.
If you're over 5ft tall you should be ok an any water slide.
Even the ones that exit into deeper water.

I have to ask though.. you and @kare5625 said that you don't swim..but can you tread wat for a moment or two, just to get to where you can stand?

Tom Morrow

Yes. It'll throw off the scale of the volcano much in the same way the Eiffel Tower in world showcase throws off the scale of spaceship earth.\

Seriously... what are you even going on about at this point? They aren't even by each other or sharing any sight lines. You'd have to turn around and see one. Then turn around and see the other.

Some people just love to find things to complain about I guess...
A quick measurement using the ruler tool on Google Earth shows that the Eiffel Tower structure is 0.5 miles from Spaceship Earth, while the Cabana Bay Towers are ~0.1 miles from the volcano structure. The Eiffel Tower structure is also less than half the height of Spaceship Earth, while the Cabana Bay towers are almost as tall as the volcano. Spaceship Earth does not have any scale to be thrown off since it is a complete structure and not using any forced perspectives to represent something bigger, such as how the dimensions of Tower of Terror do not make it a complete full scale skyscraper but it is intended to appear as one. Or how everything about Expedition Everest's design, including its placement in the park, is intended to make it appear as big as possible.

When you have no other tall structures adjacent to your giant icon, they appear bigger, taller, and more grand than they really are, again like Expedition Everest and Tower of Terror, Cinderella Castle, Tree of Life, etc. It seems odd to me to invest in and place so much emphasis on this massive volcano and then have it's presence be downsized by not one, but two glass towers in close proximity that are almost the same height.

Last edited:

rushtest4echo

The towers will have a fantastic view of the volcano.

The view of the volcano with the towers behind, not so much. That's why the focal point/entry is located on the other side of the volcano. Most of the photo ops will occur on the side between the volcano and the towers, so it shouldn't be a big issue. Still though, the placement of the park is ridicubad. I understand the land constraints and all, but it still is a lousy spot to put a park. The Cabana towers aren't going to detract from the view nearly as much as freeway overpasses next door- which will also throw off any perspective that they were going for.

Tom Morrow

I can't help but think that they should have swapped the locations for Volcano Bay and Sapphire Falls. Anyone have an explanation as to why they didn't do this instead? It just seems to make so much more sense.

JoeCamel

I can't help but think that they should have swapped the locations for Volcano Bay and Sapphire Falls. Anyone have an explanation as to why they didn't do this instead? It just seems to make so much more sense.
Don't know but my guess is the convention space and water taxi

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom