Visiting WDW for the first time in 20 years

Nina14

Hello everyone,

I will be visiting Orlando from November 17th to the 25th with my family. This trip is extra exciting for me since I haven't visited WDW in 20 years, the first and only time I've visitied the parks. I know a lot has changed and I want to experience as much as possible (I'm mot a big fan of thrill rides since they make a bit anxious but I want to ride everything I can, except TOT and RNRC). I'm writing this post asking for any tips and recommendations you can give me. We plan to visit at least 2 WDW parks since we're on a budget: MK and we're still undecided between HS and Epcot (my brother wants to skip AK). We're also visiting Universal / IOA, Gatorland, and the Kennedy Space Center.

Any suggestions for this newbie will be much appreciated!!

NonnaT

Hello everyone,

I will be visiting Orlando from November 17th to the 25th with my family. This trip is extra exciting for me since I haven't visited WDW in 20 years, the first and only time I've visitied the parks. I know a lot has changed and I want to experience as much as possible (I'm mot a big fan of thrill rides since they make a bit anxious but I want to ride everything I can, except TOT and RNRC). I'm writing this post asking for any tips and recommendations you can give me. We plan to visit at least 2 WDW parks since we're on a budget: MK and we're still undecided between HS and Epcot (my brother wants to skip AK). We're also visiting Universal / IOA, Gatorland, and the Kennedy Space Center.

First WELCOME!:D:D:D!!!
For a one time visit with what sounds like limited time, I would do 2 days MK and another day at HS.
Get yourself a decent touring plan (Not talking commando here) but at least have a plan... Look at Easywdw.com or touring plans.com to get a game plan. Another really good site for a first timer (I'd consider you a Disney virgin after 20 years no visit, lol) is yourfirstvisit.com.
All those websites give overviews about all the rides.
Since you are going to HS make sure you plan to stay until after 6pm to catch the Osbourne lights and Fantasmic. You might want to consider getting an ADR for one of the dinner F+ to save you time waiting in line.
The only other piece of advice I will give you (and then I'll shut up, I promise) is to maybe get a MVMCP ticket instead of 2 days at MK, one park day, and one party day. That way you would get to see the Holiday wishes as well as the holiday parade...
Something to think about!
Above all, have fun!

Upvote 0

Figgy1

Premium Member
Welcome and if you only can do 2 parks I'd do MK and EPCOT and just eat cs if you're on a budget as You can eat your way around both parks and not have even one burger. The other thing I'd say to do is get a copy of the Unofficial Guide to Disney and read it yesterday cover to cover. Have a magical trip. At KSC do not miss the Atlantis exhibit!

Upvote 0

Weather_Lady

The other thing I'd say to do is get a copy of the Unofficial Guide to Disney and read it yesterday cover to cover.

I just wanted to second this advice! So much has changed, and the pre-planning mechanisms have become so much more intricate, that it's a good idea to start from square one -- familiarizing yourself with the current attraction lineup, hours, ADRs and FP+ system (and if you're staying onsite, MagicBands and EMH). How many days are you spending in the parks? If it were my family, the two parks they would want would be MK and Epcot, and we'd spend 2/3 of our available time in the MK, but HS is a fine choice, too, especially if you only need to fill "most" of a day rather than a full one. Enjoy every minute of planning your adventure, and have a wonderful time!

Upvote 0

alissafalco

MK & Epcot for the 2 days gets my vote! HS has many closers right now and you don't want to do 2 of the few rides that are actually left open. Skip HS...There is so much to see and do at Epcot, especially World Showcase (all the different countries) is beautiful.

Upvote 0

MissingDisney

Another vote for MK and EPCOT. MK is a given and EPCOT has way better dining options, quick and/or table service, "street entertainment", attractions/rides. The scenery in World Showcase and shopping are events themselves! There is just not enough at HS these days to justify the cost one day's ticket, especially since TOT and RnRC are already no-nos for you. While EPCOT doesn't offer a ton of rides, there's still much more to see and do whereas HS is struggling a bit during its transition phase. Just my opinion, certainly your call. I wish you the best during your visit. No matter...you'll be at Disney with your loved ones! Enjoy!

Upvote 0

JourneysEnd

Hello everyone,

Universal is far more intense than the Disney parks. Harry Potter FJ is really rough (if thrill rides bother you).
Escape from Gringott's is okay, part coaster, part simulator, but you'll enjoy. Mummy is coaster but no inversions.
MIB is cool, Spiderman and Transformers are simulators and they do spin you around. Everything open in Disney (with the two exceptions you noted) you'll be fine on. There's so little open in HS if you're not going on RNRC and ToT. I think I'd go Epcot.

Upvote 0

NonnaT

Sorry about the HS advice, I must have read too quickly and thought you said you WANTED to ride TOT and R&R. So my very bad! I second all the above who said head into EPCOT... At any rate, enjoy your trip!

Upvote 0

JohnD

There's so much I could mention but rather than talk about things you could do on this and returning trips, I'll mention one thing you can do only ONE time when you arrive -- the Osborne Lights. Perhaps you visited them when they first started 20 years ago. This is the LAST year for them. Ignore the advice about not visiting HS. If you do nothing else, see the Osborne Lights because you'll never be able to see them again. Mix in other rides in HS if you want.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom