Visiting in July / August - what does 'busy' look like?

md0u80a2

Hi all,

Once again work is looking likely to bring me to Orlando, but in the middle of next summer - this means that it will be UK summer vacation, so the family and kids can join me and we can extend into a holiday (not past 24th august when crowds drop unfortunately).

As a child, we always visited WDW in July / August and I remember the heat, I remember 3 hours for dumbo!!!!!

However, over the last decade, we have visited away from summer. The closest was 2 weeks over labour day in May, we have done early december twice and we have done first 2 weeks of september, so relatively quiet (but is there ever such a thing now?)

So I am now planning and everything says 'crowds, crowds, crowds'

My question is what will I notice?

Dining - I need to book months in advance anyway, so what will the difference be in the experience? We are on dinning plan and so pre-booking all table services and since they are all busy al lthe times I have been there, will I notice any difference?

Fastpass + - All booked online in advance, so once booked, what difference will I see or will I simply get no availability for anything if I book at midnight 2 months out (styaing on site)?

Standby wait times - this is the key item - I went to touring plans and whilst the dates in July /august are all rated as very busy, but when I look for individual ride times, at 10am, things are all below 20 mins, peaking at 40 mins to 1 hour in the middle of the day - is that it? I have seen 2 hour ride times posted when in the parks loads of times and it has never phased me - We always get up and in a park for opening, we will most likely take a midday break or call it a day when the sun is hottest and crowds heaviest, but I am missing something? These crowds just dont seem so crazy?? I am ignorning / assuming that for parades and similar will be crazy busy, but with fastpass + giving you a sure fire few crowd free hits per day, can someone who knows what I mean respond and illuminate me?

Resort - staying at OKW - did this 2 years ago and eventhough an unexpected and gratis move to the grand floridian in december was amazing, pound for pound (or dollar for dollar) nothing seems to give us more convenience, space or better price at present and a great base for work as I can set up in our master room as a mini office away from the kids. Indeed, whilst other resorts are very attractive and the conveneince of GF on monorail and boat for MK was great, we drove everywhere else!!!!
We loved the pool side games and clubhouse last time and as the kids wil lbe 6,5 (and 9 months if all is well!!!) I think they will do this everyday - will this be much busier? It use to be packed around 2pm, so anyone with specific advice?

thanks so much

md0u80a2

LAM378

My experience with August vs May over the past couple years is that August feels more crowded in every way. If there were 3 people ahead of you in line for a Mickey bar in May, there will be 9 people ahead of you in August. Lines for QS, lines for bathrooms, lines everywhere. But it's all manageable.

You'll be fine with FPs at midnight at the 60-day mark, as long as you book the most popular rides first. In summer of 2016 the hardest to get will be the Frozen Ever After ride so start with that, then whatever else is most popular, even if it means you're not booking in date order.

The best way to beat the crowds and the heat is to rope drop. 9 a.m. is as pleasant as the weather is going to be in August. You'll have minimal standby waits for the mountains and headliners first thing in the morning, but the crowds increase dramatically every hour. The standby wait forecasts you saw are about right. Not bad in the morning but increasing steadily all day (and dropping after 10, when one or more of your children will have fallen asleep in their stroller). 40 minute standby doesn't sound horrible until you're standing in a sickeningly hot, crowded queue for 40 actual minutes.

Compare the crowd calendars online and try to visit the recommended parks for each day; that really does make a difference when the whole resort is packed.

The pool will be crowded but the earlier you get there to secure seats, the better. If you're at rope drop and out of a park by noon, you're way ahead of a LOT of other vacationers.

It will rain buckets. Last year it rained daily between 3 and 6 (and often at other times, too). We'd rest after the pool, then go to dinner and hit a park again. The rain didn't cool things off much and evenings were still very humid.

A car is good because Disney transportation will be jammed, particularly after night shows have ended.

Your dining experience shouldn't be much different than any other time of year, since the TS places are always packed anyway. I find that early dinner ADRs are better any time of year so that you're not dealing with backups. I'm always seated right away for a 5 pm ADR, but I've waited 20 or 30 minutes for a 7 pm ADR, same thing for a 7:30 am breakfast vs a 9:30. Also, don't attempt quick service at typical meal times.

It will be hot, and it will be packed, but it's still worthwhile with a solid plan and reasonable expectations. I'm joyfully going back this August. Happy planning!

Upvote 0

md0u80a2

Original Poster
Thank you for such a detailed and thoughtful reply

This very much fits what my instincts were and it seems that our way of doing the parks will suite this well - out early and pm by the pool with occasional evening re visit.

Thanks so much

Upvote 0

bee

You sound like you have the right attitude for an August trip! If you have realistic expectations you can have a great time! I agree with the suggestion to do rope drop and maybe take a break during the afternoon to cool down. Stay hydrated and don't overdo caffeine, sugar, and alcohol (if you're in a non-MK park of course). Have fun!!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom