visiting Disney with a seizure disorder

DisneySurprisePA

Original Poster
Hi, I know it may be a unique question, but thought maybe someone would have some insight.

We are going to Disney World in January, and it is my husband's first trip. He has a seizure disorder that is kept fairly well controlled, but strobe light and the flickering type of lights like on some types of emergency vehicles can cause problems.

Any rides or shows he should avoid you can think of off the top of your head?? So much has changed since I went the last time...

Thanks for the help.

Weather_Lady

Ones that might pose a problem that spring to my mind are: Space Mountain and Dinosaur, both of which have "tunnel" sections with flashing lights. Also, Star Tours has a bit of light-flashing that goes along with the rougher simulator action.

tahqa

Stop by Guest Services. They should be able to provide you with lists of attractions to avoid. Also, any attraction that uses flashes or strobes should be clearly marked at the front of the queue.

Goofyernmost

Any place where they don't confiscate cameras. And that's everywhere! There is no way to completely avoid it even in places that do not have installed strobes as part of the attraction.

DistractedGenius

I believe Space Ranger Spin has a brief strobe in one of the rooms and a weird tunnel thing like the aforemention as well. Also, Stitch, but I'm assuming you won't to ride that anyway ;)
But yeah, all queues usually have a sign outside if it has things that could cause seizures and stuff.
Have fun on your trip! I have a fine motor thing that also causes some trouble with strobes, although I just get really bad headaches and not seizures. There is still fun to be had though!

JohnD

Hi, I know it may be a unique question, but thought maybe someone would have some insight.

We are going to Disney World in January, and it is my husband's first trip. He has a seizure disorder that is kept fairly well controlled, but strobe light and the flickering type of lights like on some types of emergency vehicles can cause problems.

Any rides or shows he should avoid you can think of off the top of your head?? So much has changed since I went the last time...

Thanks for the help.

Stitch: Not that you would want to go. The ride sucks
Great Movie Ride, unfortunately: It's a good ride but there are strobe lights in the Alien scene

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes

Thanks for the help.

Interesting indeed as those rides that have on-ride photography have a single strobe flash ... is your husband affected by non-sequential lights ?

Cmdr_Crimson

This is from Disney World's Website...https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/visual-disability-services/

Guests with Light Sensitivity
Should you or any member of your party have a photosensitivity or seizure disorder, we recommend that you consult your physician for specific instructions before visiting Walt Disney World Resort, as specialty lighting effects and other visual effects are used extensively throughout our shows and attractions.

JohnD

This is from Disney World's Website...https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/visual-disability-services/

Guests with Light Sensitivity
Should you or any member of your party have a photosensitivity or seizure disorder, we recommend that you consult your physician for specific instructions before visiting Walt Disney World Resort, as specialty lighting effects and other visual effects are used extensively throughout our shows and attractions.

Not very helpful on WDW's part. It's more of a CYA answer. What else would the physician say other than avoid anything with strobe lights. Because the physician would give a CYA answer also. We're right back to the OP's question.

DisneySurprisePA

Original Poster
He seems to have the most trouble with repeated flashes. Yes, things like space mountain would cause problems. I was worried about shows as well as rides. I am glad to know there are signs to guides us.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom