Village Haus at Disneyland changing into the Red Rose Taverne

Californian Elitist

Can somebody explain to me why a low budget overlay to an existing counter service restaurant would be as popular as a new E-ticket to Disneyland's fan base? Are they that desperate for something new?

It's the Beauty and the Beast craze in general. The upcoming film is creating a lot of buzz and excitement. I myself am planning on seeing Beauty and the Beast at the El Capitan. In saying that, I have no interest in waiting for more than 15 minutes for these new Village Haus offerings.

Curious Constance

What a mess. After 15+ years of observation, these types of highly demanded theme park debuts seem to fall into three distinct categories depending on which department is running them;

New Attraction Offering - Hours of queue wrangled into endless but professionally organized switchbacks, overseen by an entire army of Ride Op CM's who tend to know what they are doing but take queuing very, very seriously. Sometimes they smile. Lots of barking orders to the endless queue, with a couple of managers in Dockers and radio earpieces glaring at everyone from the sides. STAY TO YOUR RIGHT!!! FILL IN ALL THE AVAILABLE SPACE!!! KEEP HAVING FUN!!!

New Merchandise Offering - A slightly messy wristband distribution (if it's limited edition) followed up by a few switchbacks of slap-dash queue, overseen by overwhelmed store CM's who smile a lot to make up for their lack of planning and dwindling stock. Off to the side is a gaggle of well-dressed female manager types who have tight smiles but look worried and are just counting the minutes until they can scurry back to the safety of their cubicle. They run out of stock two days later, with Ebay markups three times what Disneyland was charging.

New Restaurant Offering - A very messy look and feel. No queue plan, no crowd control plan. No communication. No CM's in sight to help, except for a couple of overwhelmed busboys clearing tables. A few menu items that would obviously be in high demand run out of stock by about one o'clock in the afternoon, with no word on when it might return to the menu. No one is smiling except for one young hostess type who, bless her heart, is trying to say all the themed words her trainer told her to say, except she's using them all in every sentence. Never a single manager type in sight, just uniformed CM's scurrying around without any plan or organization. The tables are sticky.

It's almost like Disneyland senior management doesn't quite believe this whole Disneyland thing will work out long-term, so they never really plan for much. Except for the ride operators who just keep yelling STAY TO YOUR RIGHT!!!

In Disney's slight defense, a large majority of APers seem to be completely off their rockers. WHO WOULD WAIT A 100 MINUTES FOR VILLAGE HAUS?!

Curious Constance

And THAT is the reason I'm so afraid of what DLR will be like after Star Wars Land opens.
Agreed.

I think anyone who feels the added expansion will help spread out crowds is kidding themselves. Sure there will be more acreage, but the droves of people making a trip specifically for Star Wars Land and want to check out the rest of the resort while they're there will more than make up for it.

I keep telling myself that I'll wait a year or so to let it cool down before heading down, but I think realistically, it'll be YEARS before it gets anywhere near manageable.

Curious Constance

I'm trying to imagine my nearly 13 year old daugher's reaction to me saying we were going to wait right here on this curb for the next five hours so we can see the MSEP.

Or telling her to wait in this line for the next hour and forty minutes to try some really yummy grey dessert.

Her world would, quite literally, end.

Californian Elitist

People come to the parks for different things. I have a friend who enjoys the shows more than anything, and will camp out for new entertainment. Maybe the people in line are foodies and really enjoy trying new Disneyland food. Are the people who wait hours in line for rides just as bad as these people, or no?

I have no room to judge people who wait in long lines for things they want because I've done that very same thing. An average drive-thru wait time is what? 5-10 minutes? I am welcomed with a line spilling out into the street every single time I stop by an In-N-Out drive-thru, but I happily join it and am willing to wait because I enjoy it. I've showed up in the wee hours of the morning to wait in line for something I wanted multiple times. That's what people do.

D

Deleted member 107043

In Disney's slight defense, a large majority of APers seem to be completely off their rockers. WHO WOULD WAIT A 100 MINUTES FOR VILLAGE HAUS?!

This comment deserves a constellation of likes. People are desperate for escapism and fantasy, and Disney, right or wrong, is quite adept at designing appealing traps to take their money.

OAN the initial success of this place should be the end of any further debate about why Disney Parks continues to invest almost exclusively in IP based experiences.

Curious Constance

@TP2000

Inviting curtains.....

IMG_2630.jpg

FerretAfros

A friend of mine posted this on FB yesterday:

Ate dinner at Red Rose Taverne, promptly was sick when I got home. I suspect these events were related.

...which naturally led to jokes about there being something there that wasn't there before. Like salmonella.

I've long complained about the lack of speed at DLR's counter service restaurants, but I really can't fault them for this one. They've done all sorts of tortured movie tie-ins in the past (usually a "themed" hot dog at Award Wieners, or some such nonsense) and never had a huge crowd. To me, this is a result of the local AP crowds who will rush to anything "new" and line up for hours to do so. If this gets people out of the queues for other things in the park, I see no real harm in it; I just don't quite understand it

TP2000

@TP2000

Inviting curtains.....

IMG_2630.jpg

Ah, yes. The Disney Parks Blog doesn't lie, because those curtains certainly are inviting.

What the heck? Were random "inviting curtains" some part of the movie I don't remember?

I love this image, where a slight breeze blew the fabric sign up over the balcony and the restaurant instantly became the Village Haus again. Here the busboys work their magic while the line goes out to the Carousel.
20170224_163026.jpg

https://disneygeek.com/disneyland/pictures/2017/02/24/63

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom