Videos of SpaceMountain Mission 2 : the tests

dxwwf3

Lee said:
Stupid WDW Mountain.... :brick:

We've had this conversation before, Lee. I totally agree with you. We have the worst Space Mountain on the planet right now. Hopefully Disney will work on our Space Mountain soon and improve things. I'd love to have something positive to say about current Magic Kingdom affairs :lol:

grandmath

Cast previews begun yesterday.

And what a ride it is! Totally clean outside, and totally new inside! All of the previous effects are working (recoil, smoke etc) and inside, it is a blast!

So forget the victorian theme of the travel to the moon... here you have Rock'n Roller Coaster in space lol :lol: but it works! (well, you'll find some fans complaining that it changed so much, but hey, to each his own...) Finally we get the starfield from the US version, complete with digital projections on flat suspended screens (a nebula, an approaching comet, a supernova exploding - this last one a bit disappointing). There are wonderful strobe and other lighting effects to sustain the launch sequence and the return to earth is...surprising!! Best effect for many riders! They have all new colors and sfx projected on comets and asteroids, which make them feel like moving, or burning, nice!!! On opening day there will be smoke inside at key moments too. Music is all new, and the sound sytem is on par with RRC now, that is great!

Well, that's pretty much it. You don't know anymore where you're going, there so much to see, the rousing score is action-movie like, gone is the poetic and romantic vision of the first attraction, but the experience in itself gets a lot more exciting.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
And the onride vids are up...

Full cannon animation and recoil (with smoke)
New cannon interior lighting
Launch from the base of the cannon
New interior effects - lots of projections, too dark to see stars, animated asteroids, neon, supernova looks great (if a little dark on video) and they kept the blast through the asteroids and the Electro de velecetor (sp?)!

Music was hard to make out (wind noise) but it is definatley new.

AndyMagic

Is anyone else sad that the victorian theme was thrown in the trash to make way for a RnR type presentation? It was such a classy ride and story and now it all just seems dubbed down. Why wasn't the ride just rehabbed? Space Mountain was the least of DLP's worries. In fact, it was the best ride there. Why spend all this money "improving" something that everyone already liked when the rest of the resort is so utterly lacking? It makes so little sense to me.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
DLP is a fantastic resort - Disneyland park is anything but `lacking`. A Splash Mountain or EMV ride would make it complete (both have been considered)

As for the Studios, thats another matter. I too wonderd about the SM rehab - the original was good enough, it just needed some TLC with the effects and audio, and new ride chassis. I would have thought the money saved on this could have gone to the Studios, as could Buzz Lightyear (another story)

I`ll be sad to see the Victorian theme that was so strong watered down - but someone somewhere was paid to make the decisions.

Kristofke

outside grand disney victorian theming? Ok.

Inside? No, not really.

Inside you had some devices from the novel, but almost no guest (except fans, and even me it took several years to understand the meaning of some theming in mission 1) understood the theming.

They go like...

yeah... shot to the moon, something with jules vernes, loops and fast, fun! Electro De velecator (or something like that)? What's that? The blue moon mining company... euh , did you ride the same coaster we did? Music? Didn't notice anything.

To be honoust, the first mission was empty inside, some louzy effects, a moon and that was it!! That really was it!

As a fan, you do research, but as a guest it was just something they didn't think about when riding.

I rode it a couple of times yesterday on the preview for the shareholdersclub, and I liked the new version a lot... (and yes I am a big SM1 fan)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom