Video of West Side Fire

tn1999

Original Poster
Here is a You Tube link to one of five videos I took of the West Side fire. This one video pretty much encompasses everything all five videos do.

Side note: I had tickets to the Dress Rehersal of Cirque the night of the fire, and was very upset becuase I thought that Cirque was on fire - or at the very least the show would be cancelled due to smoke damage. But it wasnt, the show was great, and they did (as expected after hiatus) change some of the staging of the show - although all the acts are the same (and I believe in the same order from last time I saw it).

The fire ended up being an Asphult Paver that litterally had a meltdown. The flames...???? I dont know... I think maybe an asphult paver carries a flamable gas to heat the asphult?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z26MnSZU3AM

WeLComeHomE OKW

that is so bizarre.

that isnt an explosion. it looks like the vehicle is releasing gas which is engulfed in flame.

that black smoke goes so high! it looks like something much worse happened!!!

jmvd20

The fire ended up being an Asphult Paver that litterally had a meltdown. The flames...???? I dont know... I think maybe an asphult paver carries a flamable gas to heat the asphult?

I am not familiar with the exact piece of equipment but similar ones use propane to heat the paving materials. Asphalt is very hard to get burning, simple sparks etc.. will not light it. Propane on the other hand, well anyone who has ever seen RoE knows it burns pretty darn good

Thanks for the videos.

WDWCPbrandon

that is so bizarre.

that isnt an explosion. it looks like the vehicle is releasing gas which is engulfed in flame.

that black smoke goes so high! it looks like something much worse happened!!!

What an exciting morning that was! I was there that morning opening DQ. I don't know much about the equipment, but apparently the high flames you see is the equipment blowing off chemicals or gas, which I heard was a good thing. It was said that had that piece of machinery actually exploded it could have cause damage to an area about the size of a city block.

turkyman

It appears that the paver had a pressurized gas cylinder aboard. The loud hissing and flames is actually a safety mechanism designed to prevent a BLEVE (boiling liquid expanding vapor explosion). A BLEVE is a major explosion of a tank that sends shrapnel and hot, burning gases flying every direction from the explosion. The fire you see is the safety valve slowly releasing the pressure from the tank.

That was a very impressive smoke column. I assume it was so dark because of the burning asphalt. Good thing it didn't damage any nearby structures.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom