Video - "Let It Go" on our Christmas light display

sporadic

Original Poster
I'm having some issues getting good video of this. Mainly, color rendition. The purple twinkles barely show up and I have some white wipes running across the house and creeping in while it's blue / purple, but having a hard time capturing it in video. Looks sooooo much better in person. Using a Fuji X-T1 manual focused with tungsten WB, 1/60s, wide open and ISO for exposure. Any tips for getting better video?

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
It is under exposed. Drop the shutter speed to 1/30, leave aperture wide open, and crank up the ISO higher than wherever you are currently.

Nice job on the programming. What lights are you using on the columns?

sporadic

Original Poster
Thanks! That was at ISO3200 if I recall. I pulled the exposure back to try and get better color definition as it was looking blown out. I'll bring it back up and see how that does. The columns are 40 rectangular WS2811 modules (3 leds per module) each, mounted on plywood with fluorescent diffusion panels as covers. Controllers are all my own design. Details on the columns are here - http://diychristmas.org/vb1/showthread.php?1390-Looking-for-column-ideas

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Thanks! That was at ISO3200 if I recall. I pulled the exposure back to try and get better color definition as it was looking blown out. I'll bring it back up and see how that does. The columns are 40 rectangular WS2811 modules (3 leds per module) each, mounted on plywood with fluorescent diffusion panels as covers. Controllers are all my own design. Details on the columns are here - http://diychristmas.org/vb1/showthread.php?1390-Looking-for-column-ideas
yeah you are going to have dynamic range problems. Those columns are really bright, and by bringing up the exposure you are going to blow those out. It is going to be a case of deciding to keep all highlights in, and have the majority under exposed, or take the blown out highlights.

Another option would be to do multiple angles, where you could expose properly for each component of the display.

The correct exposure and dynamic range handling of that scene in one shot exceeds the vast majority of cameras.

Thanks for the link - will take a look. Nice work doing it all yourself - its impressive.

sporadic

Original Poster
Thank you! Many many hours spent working on it this year. I'll try adjusting some of the dimming curves on the main lights so the wipes stand out more and pull the exposure up next time I shoot it. May try adding some curves to pull the brightness down on the columns as well or just let them blow out a little. Thanks!

HRHPrincessAriel

My daughter would die if she could see these in person. The girl is obsessed with lights. I have to stop at her favorite house( that plays music) every night on the way home. I'm going to share this with her tonight!

HRHPrincessAriel

We've watched it 3 times in a row already. She gasped out loud when the red lights came up. This is now her FAVORITE HOUSE and wants daddy to make ours just like it ;-)

sporadic

Original Poster
Thanks! Re-shot it tonight from a different angle and I think it came out a little better. Changed the sequencing a little to make the subtle wipes pop out more during the busy parts and had fixed a controller I was having issues with.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom