VERY memorable Kings Dominion (Virginia theme park) commercial from 1981!

KentB3

Original Poster
I found a video of a Kings Dominion commercial from 1981 or so, with a very catchy jingle and great visuals, that I have been looking for for years on the Internet. I have only been to Carowinds (in Charlotte, NC, under the same ownership), never to Kings Dominion, but I do remember this commercial.

Enjoy! :)

KentB3

Original Poster
Oh, I remember this commercial. I worked at Kings Dominion in 1982-83. It was a fun park back then. I haven't been since about 2007. And I still thought it was a solid regional park.

I'm glad you enjoyed it! BTW, what is the stage show at about 10 seconds into this video? It looks like Hairspray or High School Musical to me.

Goofyernmost

Years ago when we used to drive down almost yearly from Vermont we drove by Kings Dominion on I-95. Always in February and it was closed during that time. So I never went. Now I live in North Carolina and am only a couple hours away, and I still haven't gone. I was under the impression that it is more of a thrill park now then the mixed experience that video seem to be showing. Is that correct?

Disneyhead'71

Years ago when we used to drive down almost yearly from Vermont we drove by Kings Dominion on I-95. Always in February and it was closed during that time. So I never went. Now I live in North Carolina and am only a couple hours away, and I still haven't gone. I was under the impression that it is more of a thrill park now then the mixed experience that video seem to be showing. Is that correct?
It still has a host of family fun, but it has always had a large thrill element. But even in the thrill categories it has notables. Rebel Yell is one of the John Allen coasters that literally breathed life into the industry. He worked at The Philadelphia Toboggan Co., and with The Racer at Kings Island in 1972, he revitalized the amusement park industry.

This is The Rebel Yell at Kings Dominion in 1975.

Rebel-Yell-620x300.jpg

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_C._Allen

Last edited:

KentB3

Original Poster
It still has a host of family fun, but it has always had a large thrill element. But even in the thrill categories it has notables. Rebel Yell is one of the John Allen coasters that literally breathed life into the industry. He worked at The Philadelphia Toboggan Co., and with The Racer at Kings Island in 1972, he revitalized the amusement park industry.

This is The Rebel Yell at Kings Dominion in 1975.

Rebel-Yell-620x300.jpg

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_C._Allen

A roller coaster with the exact same layout as Rebel Yell was built at Carowinds, but renamed Thunder Road. Sadly, Thunder Road was demolished last year to make way for an expansion of the water park.

KentB3

Original Poster
A roller coaster with the exact same layout as Rebel Yell was built at Carowinds, but renamed Thunder Road. Sadly, Thunder Road was demolished last year to make way for an expansion of the water park.

I forgot to mention that this was not the first time Carowinds lost a roller coaster. Another roller coaster called White Lightnin' (a shuttle loop coaster) was removed in 1988 to make way for the water park when it was originally constructed, then called Riptide Reef.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom