1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

Verandah, obstructed View? (first cruise)

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line' started by DisneyDoug85, Jul 17, 2017.

1. DisneyDoug85

DisneyDoug85 Active Member

As the title says, we just booked our first cruise a few days ago. We booked room 8596 on the Dream which is a Deluxe family verandah room. I'm doing some research and just found in a few spots that some rooms have what looks to be a cosmetic piece of metal running vertically between two verandas. I'm wondering if anyone can tell me if my room will be one of these, as it wasn't listed as obstructed view. It's not a huge deal, but if we can avoid it we'd like to. Anyone else have a room with this, were you bothered by it?[​IMG]

2. ScoutN

ScoutN OV 104 Premium Member

[​IMG]

3. DisneyDoug85

DisneyDoug85 Active Member Original Poster

Perfect, thank you! so it looks like it would be. I dunno if its worth trying to change rooms or not....

4. EOD K9

EOD K9 Well-Known Member

That's not obstructed as it's right in the middle of the plexiglass. The rooms towards the front and aft that have the metal curving into the verandah are obstructed. I've been in 6552 and 6588. You're fine.

DisneyDoug85 likes this.
  5. MaryJaneP

MaryJaneP Well-Known Member

We had metal dividers between our verandah and those on either side of us. Not a big deal for us and we were able to look fore and aft to our hearts desire. But maybe it is more of an issue for some than it was for us. Have a great cruise whatever you decide.

DisneyDoug85 likes this.
  6. EOD K9

EOD K9 Well-Known Member

Oh, by the way, congrats on booking your first cruise. I hope you have a blast.

7. DisneyDoug85

oh you're right, i saw the slightly larger space between my room and room 8598, and assumed thats what the divider was. I see the curved pieces though, for example between rooms 7624 and 7626. Well thanks, that makes me feel better. I was informed by someone in a direct message that the AFT rooms with the extended verandahs are spectacular. I may switch to one of those anyway....I leaned toward mid to avoid as much "movement" as possible, but i know plenty of people say they never really feel a thing anywhere on the ship.

Thanks, we can't wait!!!

8. DisneyDoug85

Thanks. Its not really that big of a deal i don't think....just one of those things that if we know about it, we'll avoid it if possible.

MaryJaneP likes this.
  9. EOD K9

EOD K9 Well-Known Member

I've been on 6 cruises. The two rooms I mentioned are pretty much in the middle and had no issues. I was also on 8510 on the Magic which is right towards the front and had zero issues. The ships are really stable.

10. Tiggerish

Tiggerish Resident Redhead Premium Member

It almost sounds like you're referring to the privacy dividers between each stateroom's verandah. If your sailing party has two or more adjacent staterooms, those can be opened up for a long verandah that's shared between the rooms. If you don't know your next door neighbor, those dividers are a good thing. ;) And they don't obstruct your view, which is considered from the railing.

The aft verandahs are spectacular, I've stayed in 7194, 9174 and 7690 on the Dream, and my favorite is 7194. Here's a photo of the entire verandah, and one of the view from the verandah:
    IMG_1838.JPG

IMG_1860.JPG

Mrhappyplace, ScoutN and DisneyDoug85 like this.
  11. DisneyDoug85

I did attach a photo, it's not showing up on my end anymore. Not sure if you see it? It's not the white dividing wall, it's a cosmetic piece of metal on the outside of the ship that restricts part of the view. Not a huge deal but was wondering if the room I booked had it.

Those verandahs look amazing! Did you notice any more movement aft as compared to mid or forward? Most people say these boats don't move much but I like getting as many opinions as possible. Thanks for your help!!!

12. Tiggerish

No, I don't see a photo in your post. But the room you've booked is in the center of the ship and would not have any sort of obstructed view like that. I think the obstructed views are their own booking category, too. Navigator's verandahs have obstructed views because they have the "faux" portholes.

Assuming calm waters during the cruise, the only time that there is noticeable movement in an aft stateroom is when the ship is docking. There is a tremendous amount of shuddering and engine noise during that time, but it doesn't bother me at all, and even if it did, the trade-off for that view is worth it. ;)

We ran into rough seas on our March Bahamian cruise, and believe me, every stateroom felt the motion. :)

DisneyDoug85 likes this.
  13. DisneyDoug85

So we went ahead and switched our stateroom to room #8188. We'll be dead center aft with a huge Verandah, can't wait!!! Thanks to everyone for your help!

Tiggerish likes this.
  14. Tiggerish

I will be right next door to that one in 8186 for my Sept. 25 cruise. :) 66 days!!

DisneyDoug85 likes this.
  15. DisneyDoug85

Awesome, enjoy! Make sure whoever is in 8188 takes good care of it for me!! hahaha. So jealous, we're at 479 days and i could cry lol

16. Tiggerish

It'll be here before you know it. I've been on Halloween cruises, but never Merrytime, so now I'm jealous! ;)

DisneyDoug85 likes this.
  17. DisneyDoug85

haha i hope! Yeah we've never seen Disney World decorated for Christmas, so we'll do that for a few nights first then do the Merrytime Cruise! Knocking out a bunch of "firsts" in one trip!