Vegas + Disneyland Combo Trip

wdrive

Starting to lose interest in the Disneyland portion of the trip. Having so many things closed, including the Matterhorn (which would be the second time for me that's happened) is a disappointment to hear. Plus, none of the 60th stuff will be up by then, not that that was ever a given when I booked.

AND I'm going to DLP this week, after having been to WDW 2 months ago, so I'm not exactly starving for a Disney trip. ;)

I dunno, it seems like a lot of money and trouble just to go on a handful of rides. I'd still have to arrange the city-to-ctiy transfers, and it may be more expensive to get an open jaw flight, vs a direct to and from LAS.

Should I still go? Help me decide Disneyland fans. :)

I'd still go to Disneyland. It's very different to WDW in the way that a closed attraction at Disneyland doesn't really make much of a difference. You'll definitely get in more than a handful of rides. There's a similar amount of rides in Disneyland's 2 parks than WDW's 4 parks. If the Magic Kingdom had as many closed rides as Disneyland I'd probably say it isn't worth it, but Disneyland has more to do so the closed attractions don't matter as much.

Animaniac93-98

Original Poster
You'll definitely get in more than a handful of rides.

Just to clarify, the "handful or rides" comment is based on my experience of visiting the 3 resorts and knowing which rides I'd want to do based on:

a) they're unique to DLR
b) they're better at DLR vs WDW and DLP
c) they're open during my trip

I'd love to ride RSR, Indy, Alice, Toad, Pirates and the Submarines and then maybe see Soundsational again and Fantasmic, but that's mostly it. Not that I wouldn't go on other things if I were there, but that would be my "must do" list.

Last edited:

Californian Elitist

Disneyland isn't going anywhere. If you don't go this time, no big deal.

There shouldn't be a problem finding other things to do in California or the West in general. Disneyland isn't a vacation destination, it's an attraction that's part of the destination, California.

GiveMeTheMusic

Starting to lose interest in the Disneyland portion of the trip. Having so many things closed, including the Matterhorn (which would be the second time for me that's happened) is a disappointment to hear. Plus, none of the 60th stuff will be up by then, not that that was ever a given when I booked.

AND I'm going to DLP this week, after having been to WDW 2 months ago, so I'm not exactly starving for a Disney trip. ;)

I dunno, it seems like a lot of money and trouble just to go on a handful of rides. I'd still have to arrange the city-to-ctiy transfers, and it may be more expensive to get an open jaw flight, vs a direct to and from LAS.

Should I still go? Help me decide Disneyland fans. :)

If you're waffling, I'd say skip it. Maybe take some extra time/money in Vegas and do it up right. This isn't your first time at DLR, right? Keep in mind Toad may be closed during your visit, we just don't know yet.

Animaniac93-98

Original Poster
If you're waffling, I'd say skip it. Maybe take some extra time/money in Vegas and do it up right. This isn't your first time at DLR, right? Keep in mind Toad may be closed during your visit, we just don't know yet.

This would be my second time at DLR. Vegas was always the main focus, but doing both in the same trip would save me the time and flight cost of making two seperate trips. If I didn't go to DLR it would be Vegas only, with possibly some day trips to surrounding natural parks and sites like Hoover Dam and the Grand Canyon.

If I knew now that Toad was going to be closed, I for sure would not go. I know that may sound silly for some, but for me that attraction is a big deal.

shipley731

If I knew now that Toad was going to be closed, I for sure would not go. I know that may sound silly for some, but for me that attraction is a big deal.

I love Toad. It was one of the brighest highlights of my trip to DLR in May 2013. I have always lived in Florida & have many fond memories of riding that ride at WDW. My husband & I were both very sad when it closed at WDW & were super excited to ride it again when we visited DLR.

They still have some of the ride vehicles from WDW's version at the design warehouse here in Florida. Husband & I went to a special event a couple of years ago & had our picture taken in one. (They also had the one ride entrance arch as well.)

056.JPG

JillC LI

Toad was cute when we finally got to experience it last Spring, but it's not something that would make or break a trip for me. Maybe I'm missing the nostalgia factor though.

Animaniac93-98

Original Poster
Long story short, next week I'm doing Disneyland for a day as part of a Vegas-centric southwest trip. I've narrowed down the list of things I want to do most, but I still have some questions that I'll post here when I think of them. First two:

- Does Mickey and the Magical Map perform everyday, or just like Wed-Sun?

- How long (on average) are the lines for the Marvel meet 'n greets at Innoventions?

GiveMeTheMusic

Long story short, next week I'm doing Disneyland for a day as part of a Vegas-centric southwest trip. I've narrowed down the list of things I want to do most, but I still have some questions that I'll post here when I think of them. First two:

- Does Mickey and the Magical Map perform everyday, or just like Wed-Sun?

- How long (on average) are the lines for the Marvel meet 'n greets at Innoventions?

Magical Map is dark Tuesdays and Wednesdays during the off-season.

Thor and Cap range from 30-60 minutes on busy days; considerably less so on very slow days (which next week should be well populated with).

Animaniac93-98

Original Poster
I'll be doing a similar trip in October, spending 7 nights in Vegas during the week of Halloween. Since I did so many shows last time, the focus will be more on tours to surrounding national parks and sites like the Hoover Dam and Grand Canyon (but still see some other shows). I also plan on spending a day at Disneyland to see the Halloweentime offerings and whatever's new for the 60th Anniversary.

Do you think it would be worth it to get a one-day hopper? With the current exchange rate it would be an extra $70 CDN to upgrade over the one-park option, but I still have never seen Cars Land and might want to see the new World of Color. How busy will be be on the Tuesday or Wednesday before Halloween?

To be clear, these are the things I want to do most in DCA:

- Radiator Springs Racers
- Tower of Terror
- World of Color
- Grizzly River Run (never been on it)
- California Screamin'

The other option would be to just do a day at DCA, since I already went to DL park earlier this year, but then I wouldn't be able to see Haunted Mansion Holiday (the thing I want to do most).

GiveMeTheMusic

I'll be doing a similar trip in October, spending 7 nights in Vegas during the week of Halloween. Since I did so many shows last time, the focus will be more on tours to surrounding national parks and sites like the Hoover Dam and Grand Canyon (but still see some other shows). I also plan on spending a day at Disneyland to see the Halloweentime offerings and whatever's new for the 60th Anniversary.

Do you think it would be worth it to get a one-day hopper? With the current exchange rate it would be an extra $70 CDN to upgrade over the one-park option, but I still have never seen Cars Land and might want to see the new World of Color. How busy will be be on the Tuesday or Wednesday before Halloween?

To be clear, these are the things I want to do most in DCA:

- Radiator Springs Racers
- Tower of Terror
- World of Color
- Grizzly River Run (never been on it)
- California Screamin'

The other option would be to just do a day at DCA, since I already went to DL park earlier this year, but then I wouldn't be able to see Haunted Mansion Holiday (the thing I want to do most).

I say go for the park hopper and make sure your day doesn't fall on a Halloween party night if possible.

GiveMeTheMusic

I heard last fall that the Halloween Party would be moved to DCA this year for the 60th, but I don't know if that's the case. We probably won't know for sure until the summer.

Animaniac93-98

Original Poster
BUMP

Now that HalloweenTime has been announced I'm trying to figure out the best way to see the attractions I want to do for my day at Disneyland. Not sure what's the best order to do the following, or if there would be time for lunch at Cafe Orleans on a limited schedule:

- Haunted Mansion Holiday
- Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy*
- Matterhorn
- Princess Fantasy Faire (meet 'n greet + Tangled show)
- Indiana Jones Adventure
- Pirates of the Caribbean
- Castle walkthrough + Mr. Lincoln (at the end of the day)

*unless DPB is wrong and it's not happening

As a side note, the trip I had planned for last October got cancelled for various reasons, so my trip this September is making up for that.

Phroobar

Just don't mention the Disneyland part of your trip and just say your going to Vegas so your coworkers won't look at you funny.

GiveMeTheMusic

BUMP

Now that HalloweenTime has been announced I'm trying to figure out the best way to see the attractions I want to do for my day at Disneyland. Not sure what's the best order to do the following, or if there would be time for lunch at Cafe Orleans on a limited schedule:

- Haunted Mansion Holiday
- Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy*
- Matterhorn
- Princess Fantasy Faire (meet 'n greet + Tangled show)
- Indiana Jones Adventure
- Pirates of the Caribbean
- Castle walkthrough + Mr. Lincoln (at the end of the day)

*unless DPB is wrong and it's not happening

As a side note, the trip I had planned for last October got cancelled for various reasons, so my trip this September is making up for that.

Are you arriving at or close to opening? You can do the patented obtain an FP & then ride standby for Space to get 2 rides in. Check the app for Indy times to see if an FP is needed. Matterhorn would be your next stop, then princesses depending on showtimes, IJA, Pirates & Mansion (which offers FP as well if needed).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom