Vandalism already happening at Shanghai Disneyland

EmmaGreenMachine

Gosh so many ppl are hugely racist! Did thousands of ppl really trash the resort? or was it a few? I only saw one lamppost with a name scratched on it, only 1 man peeing, only 1 kid pooping. Yes there was some rubbish thrown on the ground but I also read in the same article that many chinese brought plastic bags and took their rubbish with them! Every one is not misbehaving and all Chinese are not the same.

The flower issue is different, how would you like it if a flower was such a special thing for you that you needed your pic with it? im lucky, i see them everyday, all day long, but im guessing thats not the case in china. Overall I think many ppl who constantly put down shanghai dinsey, the castle and chinese ppl are just plain old jealous! Disney is allowed to expand through out the world and give more kids happiness, its not just the american kids that count you know! I am so glad for tokyo, hong kong and now shanghai Disney, if not for them , my kids would have never seen a Disneyland! (no im not keen for 24 hour flights to America and $5000 in just AIRFARE for my family)

tirian

Guys, guys, this is terrible. Not the news, but the reactions. The Chinese are not bad people. Not at all. Their culture is just different, and they find many things we do to be as disgusting and inhumane. Americans are no better. And disclaimer, I'm not Chinese. I'm an American, and I can't say I'm proud of that today.

Vandalism is terrible and inexcusable, and Chinese people are well aware. That's why, out of the thousands who've visited, only a few committed such damage. It's a tiny percentage, but of course we blame them all! Littering is rude, but just like vandalism, it occurs no less in American cities. These kind of people exist everywhere and in every nationality.

Sitting on the grass and wading in the bushes (and peeing in them)... these are two things that most Chinese see nothing wrong with, and preventing them might be serious challenge. Honestly, these photos mean little to me, and I'm not sure why everyone is so obsessed over minor damage. I'd be much more interested to see how it all looks a day later. How well Disney cleans up here is the real question I have.

In the end, it's Disney's responsibilty. If people are walking and peeing in grass and bushes, maybe Disney should put some fences up. If people are littering, maybe they should put a garbage can in that spot. Also, people have a habit of following others' actions. If there's a pile of trash on the grass, someone walking by would be more inclined to throw theirs right on top. Similarly, vandalism encourages others to do the same. It's a chain reaction. Disney needs to keep the place clean to prevent this stuff from catching on.

So I'm not depressed by the vandalism and the photos. What I am depressed by is all of the closed-minded and racist comments, here and elsewhere, pegging the Chinese as a horrible and filthy group of people.

I really thought we'd do better in the year 2016. I really did.
I'm so sorry you're not proud of being an American because one or two people made ignorant comments on a thread barely anyone has seen.

No Name

How much time have you personally spent on mainland China?

I have been to China three times, all for short trips. Not as much time as many, I'm sure. But I've spent far more time in American cities, where I see how much vandalism exists in our country and how Americans are no better than Chinese.

I'm so sorry you're not proud of being an American because one or two people made ignorant comments on a thread barely anyone has seen.

It was more to make a point. I said that I was not proud that day, and it was true. It's depressing to see so many people generalize an entire race as bad because of a few stupid, one-sided pictures. People do that type of thing all the time. Heck, they're about to elect a president who does the same. Lots like to say "they're all bad" rather then realize that only a tiny, tiny percentage of those people are actually bad.

Also, the comments are not just here, they're on many other articles. This story was published by many major news outlets, and with the frequent articles about SDL, I have to imagine they get quite a few clicks. So no, the comments were not just from a "thread that barely anyone has seen."

Really they didn't have to put up plastic over the painting at Big Thunder because guests were drawing on it? People were literally tearing up the rose mosaic tiles at BOG and taking them. I know I have read about children peeing in bushes etc at US parks as well.
Oh yes, it's not really any better in the US. That's the point that some people have trouble seeing.

Last edited:

No Name

Having small signs instead of railings to keep people off the landscape is a clear indicator that Disney was caught off guard. The lack of activities is not really an excuse because this is the same types of behavior Hong Kongers were complaining about just over a decade ago.

I agree, at least they did this a month and a half in advance. That way they can be prepared and know what to expect for when the real park opens. But yeah, I agree, all signs point to this having been unexpected. Haha, get it? All signs?

I don't exactly get what you mean about lack of activities not being an excuse. Sure, Disney should've been prepared, but the visitors paid $10 for parking and then realized there wasn't much to do. And so they spent their time taking selfies in the grass and bushes, and having their kids play in the grass, because what else would they have done?

Anyway, here's a recent ariel shot of the park that looks far better in terms of keeping people off the grass:
image.png

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

I don't exactly get what you mean about lack of activities not being an excuse. Sure, Disney should've been prepared, but the visitors paid $10 for parking and then realized there wasn't much to do. And so they spent their time taking selfies in the grass and bushes, and having their kids play in the grass, because what else would they have done?
Similar behavior was noted at Hong Kong Disneyland when the park was open. If the lack of activities was an issue then it would not have happened in Hong Kong.

brb1006

I agree, at least they did this a month and a half in advance. That way they can be prepared and know what to expect for when the real park opens. But yeah, I agree, all signs point to this having been unexpected. Haha, get it? All signs?

Anyway, here's a recent ariel shot of the park that looks far better in terms of keeping people off the grass:
View attachment 140961
The park looks good so far judging by this clip of Mickey's Storybook Express.

mimitchi33

Wow, that's terrible. Even worse than those stories about kids peeing and/or pooping in the aisles on airplanes in that country. Who would vandalize a brand new park right before it opens to the public? That parade someone shared does look cool.

Homer fan

In what civilized world is it okay to destroy a nicely planted garden on someone's private property? Let alone peeing and pooping in it! Who thinks the nice flowers are there to get trampled on? I'm sorry, it is cultural for the Chinese. I worked with a Chinese woman who was very embarrassed every time another article showed up in the mainstream news, where Chinese tourists left a disaster behind.. That is not racist, that's just the truth.

Bocabear

In what civilized world is it okay to destroy a nicely planted garden on someone's private property? Let alone peeing and pooping in it! Who thinks the nice flowers are there to get trampled on? I'm sorry, it is cultural for the Chinese. I worked with a Chinese woman who was very embarrassed every time another article showed up in the mainstream news, where Chinese tourists left a disaster behind.. That is not racist, that's just the truth.
My first trip to Disneyland Paris I was surprised to see the level of vandalism there as well...though they blamed it on German tourists at the time...lol But I saw families stepping and climbing over guard rails to set up their blankets on the lawns and landscaped area, Kids trampeling the planted landscapes, trash being thrown on the ground... Reverence for something beautiful and well kept is not a universal value...I think the problem is more than just Chinese... Though when I was in Thailand in January, the friends of mine that live there were always complaining about the Chinese tour groups messing everything up...
So....who knows...probably opening the Disney station in advance of the park opening itself was a bad idea...the curious come to see, and when there is nothing to do...well that is when trouble starts.

Texas84

This doesn't surprise me. I was reading an article a few weeks ago about Japan media wanting to limit Chinese tourists to certain locations. They had several issues with the tourists damaging the cherry blossom trees.

This needs to be repeated. It's a big problem in Japan.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom