Using Disney Cruise Bus Transportation from MCO with Wine?

Blueliner

Original Poster
This may have been covered somewhere elsewhere, but I am hopeful some of you guys can help me with a challenge. My wife and I are going to be flying into MCO on August 5 for a 3-day Bahamas cruise on the Dream. We would like to bring some wine, but we also are considering Disney transportation to and from the airport.

This puts us in a little bit of a pickle, as we clearly will not be able to carry the wine onto the plane, but we clearly cannot keep the wine in checked bag as it enters the ship. My idea is: 1) carefully pack wine in a small suitcase that we can check in as baggage for our flight; 2) go to baggage claim, grab only the "wine" suitcase (all other bags can be delivered straight from the plane to our stateroom); and 3) keep the small wine suitcase with me as a carry-on when we get to the cruise terminal.

Have any of you guys employed this strategy before? Is it as simple as refraining from putting the Disney Cruise Line tag on that once piece of checked baggage, with all other checked bags being delivered straight to our stateroom? Most importantly, is there enough time/flexibility with Disney Transportation to allow me to grab a bag from baggage claim before getting on the bus?

Any thoughts or experiences you can share will be greatly appreciated!

Tom

Beta Return
I can't speak to your level of success in getting the wine to MCO in the belly of a plane, or getting it on the ship (DCL changed carry-on alcohol rules a while back, but I'm not sure what they are).

But to address your method of sending a bag through as checked baggage, and picking it up on the carousel at MCO...yes, just leave the DCL tag off of that one bag. The rest will be grabbed by Disney behind the scenes, and that one bag will come out at baggage claim.

On cruise embarkation day, they run buses from MCO to the port continuously, just like Magical Express. You will be fine getting your bag and catching a bus.

Others can chime in on how to get it on the ship.

jaklgreen

We always fly in the day before and stay overnight at the Hyatt. I would hate to have a delay on my flight and miss the cruise. That being said, if I was to bring wine, then it would be easy for my to just unpack it the night before. Your plan would work too. You can carry on 2 bottles of wine with you onto the cruise.

Blueliner

Original Poster
I can't speak to your level of success in getting the wine to MCO in the belly of a plane, or getting it on the ship (DCL changed carry-on alcohol rules a while back, but I'm not sure what they are).

But to address your method of sending a bag through as checked baggage, and picking it up on the carousel at MCO...yes, just leave the DCL tag off of that one bag. The rest will be grabbed by Disney behind the scenes, and that one bag will come out at baggage claim.

On cruise embarkation day, they run buses from MCO to the port continuously, just like Magical Express. You will be fine getting your bag and catching a bus.

Others can chime in on how to get it on the ship.
Thanks. I worry a bit about bottles breaking in flight. Maybe we should buy boxes of wine for this special occasion! :p

Blueliner

Original Poster
We always fly in the day before and stay overnight at the Hyatt. I would hate to have a delay on my flight and miss the cruise. That being said, if I was to bring wine, then it would be easy for my to just unpack it the night before. Your plan would work too. You can carry on 2 bottles of wine with you onto the cruise.
Thanks. We're rolling the dice a bit with the same day flight. Our last cruise, we came in the night before, bought some wine across the street from our Port Canaveral hotel, and carried it onto the ship. This time around, we really do not have the option of arriving the night before. However, it is a direct flight to MCO, and we are scheduled to land at 11:35, so we have a little bit of a cushion.

Sans Souci

Thanks. I worry a bit about bottles breaking in flight. Maybe we should buy boxes of wine for this special occasion! :p

I have traveled with wine so many times in checked luggage. I have never had an issue. I wrap them in bubble wrap, then I double bag. I always make sure the bottles are well-ensconced within the suitcase.

They do sell decent 750 ml boxes of wine (not Franzia ;) ), if you think that would travel better.

Blueliner

Original Poster
I have traveled with wine so many times in checked luggage. I have never had an issue. I wrap them in bubble wrap, then I double bag. I always make sure the bottles are well-ensconced within the suitcase.

They do sell decent 750 ml boxes of wine (not Franzia ;) ), if you think that would travel better.
Thanks! I'm leaning toward the bubble wrap option, although I'm also going to check on boxes.

EOD K9

However, it is a direct flight to MCO, and we are scheduled to land at 11:35, so we have a little bit of a cushion.
I always fly in the day before, however my wife and I had a direct flight getting in at 1145. There was a four and half hour delay plus our flight time. Needless to say, had we flown in that day, we would have missed our cruise. Just have your wine bag ready to go and don't mess around in case you may have to cut it close.

Blueliner

Original Poster
I always fly in the day before, however my wife and I had a direct flight getting in at 1145. There was a four and half hour delay plus our flight time. Needless to say, had we flown in that day, we would have missed our cruise. Just have your wine bag ready to go and don't mess around in case you may have to cut it close.
Thanks. Hopefully we will not have to cut it close.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom