Using a FastPass Plus on IllumiNations

10Magic

Original Poster
Hey, I could use some expert opinions here. Is there an advantage significant enough to make it worthwhile spending a Tier One FastPass on IllumiNations? Or how about Wishes or Fantasmic for that matter?

cw1982

When is your trip? What are the ages of the people in the group?

For Illuminations, honestly there are so many great places around the lagoon to watch the show that I personally wouldn't give up my tier one for it unless you're just not interested in anything else that you need a tier one to do. Give me Test Track or Soarin' any day, and I'll find another good spot for Illuminations.

For Fantasmic, IMO it depends on when you're going to be there and whether or not you're interested in the meal package that includes preferred seating. The reason I say it depends on when you're going is because some nights there are two shows; some nights there is only one. We went on a day when there were two shows, and there were still FP's available for the second show after we had used FP's for everything else we wanted to do that day, so we used that rolling FP to get into the second show without waiting and got in extra RnRC and ToT rides while the bigger crowd was in the first show. If you're going at a time when there is only one show and definitely want to see it, you may want to consider the meal package so that you don't have to choose between the FP for the show and another tier one. We didn't do this because I don't eat enough to warrant buying meal packages of any kind (usually), but from what I've read the Fantasmic package only adds about five bucks to the cost of the meal.

For Wishes, IMO it depends on the ages in your party and how many other things you want to use FP for. If you have younger children, I'd say Peter Pan, Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, and a meet and greet or two might be higher priorities. Personally, DH and I used ours at MK for Space Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain, and Splash Mountain and then used the rolling FP for other things we wanted to do, and we were able to find a decent view of Wishes with no problem just minutes before the show... it was a crowded view, but a decent one nonetheless. Basically anywhere that provides a good view of the castle will work. Of course, if you're going to be elsewhere during the day and plan to hit up the MK a few hours before the fireworks, you might not need a FP for some of the other things anyway, so in that case it would make more sense to use a FP for fireworks.

ETA: keep in mind that there are no tiers at the MK, so your choices for your first three FP's can be a little more versatile.

I hope that helps :)

cw1982

Remember though if you have that late fastpass it will keep you from getting anymore for the day.

Yep. I was going to mention that in my post as well, but since we didn't book any FP's for any fireworks shows during our stay, I couldn't say for sure that this was true. That's the other reason why I said it might make sense to use a FP for Wishes if the OP will only be at MK for the evening hours... by then, depending on who else is in their group, there may be fewer other things that need a FP that catch their interest.

10Magic

Original Poster
Thank you so much. I appreciate the input! It's a group of four adults going during a low-crowd time in mid-September.

eblaz37

Remember though if you have that late fastpass it will keep you from getting anymore for the day.
I was thinking about this-- was curious if they would kind of bypass you using that one and just let you keep it, AND get your rolling FPs. But I suppose it makes sense. Kinda like, how bad do you want that Fant/IllumiNations/Wishes FP?!?

ninjaprincesst

I was thinking about this-- was curious if they would kind of bypass you using that one and just let you keep it, AND get your rolling FPs. But I suppose it makes sense. Kinda like, how bad do you want that Fant/IllumiNations/Wishes FP?!?
No, all your original fastpasses then you can make more one at a time as they are used, that being said though, they might be one of the few things with fastpasses available later in the day so you might be able to grab one as a fourth or later fastpass.

Ralphlaw

How does it work for Illuminations? We are considering booking this for New Years Eve, but check-in is before 6:00pm! My questions: Do we then just sit there for 3 hours? Or is it a check-in and then free to go? Can one person in the party hold it while everyone else goes a-wandering?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Last edited:

JohnD

I think it's worthwhile if you arrive late in the day. For example, on my arrival day, 11/29, I have an ADR at Artist Point at 6:15. Regular hours in MK are until midnight. So I scheduled my three FP+ for the evening following my ADR. I decided to use one for Wishes. But then again I was just at WDW last week and pretty much tackled everything so I can be more discriminating on the next trip.

Ralphlaw

Thanks all of you, especially Epcotisbest. We've never been there for New Years eve, thus my questions. I also heard the New Year's Eve Illuminations is the best ever. True?

Epcot-Rules

Sorry if I missed it. Is this your first time seeing it? There are so many places to watch it from. I would never waste a FP. Get your cold brew and grab one of many seats close to the lake early and enjoy!!

Dean1953

I'm in the same spot as the OP, and will be at Epcot on NYE and plan on being there through the midnight fireworks with my 18 and 7 year old. I noticed on a British Disney site that has calendars that show the availability of FP's for various popular rides and attractions that illuminations is pretty open for the later part of December, except for NYE. It was unavailable 63-64 days out. With Epcot being jam packed for NYE, I really don't want to stake out a spot 2-3 hours in advance. Has anyone been to Epcot on NYE for illuminations?

JohnD

This is a question I have. Do you need a FP for Fantasmic? If you don't have one will you be stopped?

Three ways to see Fantasmic:
  1. Dining Package: Eat lunch or dinner at HBD, H&V, or Mama Melrose and receive a ticket for VIP seating, usually directly in the center, think "50 yard line to either 40 yard line"
  2. FP+: Seating: "30 to 40 yard line"
  3. Stand by: Just get in line and wait then be directed to whereever they put you. Basically, "End zone to 30 yard line"

WDW 3

Thank you. Right now I do have a FP+. Have to say, so far, not a big fan of FP+. Too much advance planning for my family that really likes to tour and hop with total spontaneity.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom