Upgrading to AP - Already Have Room Booked with Discount

NYwdwfan

I did a search, but can't find the same set of circumstances, so starting a thread for help.

We have a trip booked in February 2015 using the room only discount. We made it a package with tickets but will not be purchasing the meal plan. We are planning to go in November 2015 as well, so would like to purchase APs instead of the regular park tickets and then will probably book the bounce-back offer when we go in February (depending on what it is). So I have some logistics questions:

As I said, I want to buy the APs. I would also like to switch my 30% discount to the 35% AP discount if rooms are available. What should I do first? Call and remove the park tickets and book using the AP discount, then purchase the APs? Or will I need proof of AP to book with the discount? Is the 35% even still available for February or has that already expired? Does order of events even matter?

I also want to get the TIW card - is that also good for one year?

Thanks in advance.

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
You can book the AP discount without already having one in hand. You will need it by check In day though to show them when you check in. Sometimes they don't even check at check in (has happened to me before) but I would not risk that. AP room discounts usually book pretty fast and there is not a large availability of them at certain resorts and certain room types. So I would book the AP discount ASAP if it is out already for Feb.
Also yes TIW is good for a year but that you have to get when you get there and have your AP in hand. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
You can check in on an AP discount booking and show your AP later when you have it.

The TiW card is valid until the end of the month after the anniversary of purchase. If you buy it in January, it will expire at the end of February the following year.

Upvote 0

NYwdwfan

Original Poster
You can book the AP discount without already having one in hand. You will need it by check In day though to show them when you check in. Sometimes they don't even check at check in (has happened to me before) but I would not risk that. AP room discounts usually book pretty fast and there is not a large availability of them at certain resorts and certain room types. So I would book the AP discount ASAP if it is out already for Feb.
Also yes TIW is good for a year but that you have to get when you get there and have your AP in hand. :)

You can check in on an AP discount booking and show your AP later when you have it.
The TiW card is valid until the end of the month after the anniversary of purchase. If you buy it in January, it will expire at the end of February the following year.

Thanks!

I called and they don't have standard room available at BC, but they have garden rooms, and with the discount it works out to be the same as I am paying now for the nicer view. I still haven't pulled the trigger but at least I am armed with all the information now and can proceed when ready.

Upvote 0

ToTBellHop

Thanks!

I called and they don't have standard room available at BC, but they have garden rooms, and with the discount it works out to be the same as I am paying now for the nicer view. I still haven't pulled the trigger but at least I am armed with all the information now and can proceed when ready.
I wouldn't wait too long on the AP discount. They dry up quickly.

Upvote 0

Rob562

Also, the booking, deposit and cancellation requirements are different between the package you have now and the AP rate.

A package reservation requires a flat $200 deposit and then full payment of the balance by the 45-day mark. That 45-day mark is also your deadline to cancel for a full refund.

Most AP Rate bookings would be Room Only, and thus would require a one-night deposit to be paid, but then the balance isn't due until you check in. The cancellation deadline is also 5 days (at least it was the last I checked).

You can also save some money on buying the AP, though it'll take a little online footwork to do. You can buy a discounted MYW ticket from a reseller, use it to enter a theme park once, and then upgrade it to an AP for the price difference between the gate price of that ticket and the price of the AP. The trick is finding the ticket that gives you the biggest discount off of its own gate price while still having a gate price below the price of the Annual Pass (because if you buy a ticket that'll be worth *more* than an AP you don't get a balance refund and you've wasted the money).

When I did this a couple years ago, the ticket that fit the bill was an 8-day Hopper with Non-Expiration. I saved about $40-45 off the price of that ticket, and then only paid $4 to upgrade it to an AP at Guest Relations. You can then also buy the TiW card at the same time.

(Edit to add: A quick glance and a 7-day Hopper with No-Expiration appears to be the exact same price as a new AP, so it'd be an exact exchange. The 7-day ticket from Undercover Tourist using the Mousesavers newsletter link gets you a $40 savings)

-Rob

Last edited:
Upvote 0

NYwdwfan

Original Poster
Also, the booking, deposit and cancellation requirements are different between the package you have now and the AP rate.

A package reservation requires a flat $200 deposit and then full payment of the balance by the 45-day mark. That 45-day mark is also your deadline to cancel for a full refund.

Most AP Rate bookings would be Room Only, and thus would require a one-night deposit to be paid, but then the balance isn't due until you check in. The cancellation deadline is also 5 days (at least it was the last I checked).

You can also save some money on buying the AP, though it'll take a little online footwork to do. You can buy a discounted MYW ticket from a reseller, use it to enter a theme park once, and then upgrade it to an AP for the price difference between the gate price of that ticket and the price of the AP. The trick is finding the ticket that gives you the biggest discount off of its own gate price while still having a gate price below the price of the Annual Pass (because if you buy a ticket that'll be worth *more* than an AP you don't get a balance refund and you've wasted the money).

When I did this a couple years ago, the ticket that fit the bill was an 8-day Hopper with Non-Expiration. I saved about $40-45 off the price of that ticket, and then only paid $4 to upgrade it to an AP at Guest Relations. You can then also buy the TiW card at the same time.

(Edit to add: A quick glance and a 7-day Hopper with No-Expiration appears to be the exact same price as a new AP, so it'd be an exact exchange. The 7-day ticket from Undercover Tourist using the Mousesavers newsletter link gets you a $40 savings)

-Rob

Wow - thanks!!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom