Upgrades

mpeters

Original Poster
So we are leaving for the World in 12 days........the longest 12 days ever, but nevertheless, are very excited with anticipation. During these final countdown days I often sit and daydream about getting upgraded with our resort. We are staying at the CBR once again and always, in the back of my mind, I remember a post (long time ago) of someone getting an upgrade from a moderate to a deluxe. I know during this season it's a far fetch but I can still dream! The only upgrade we have ever received was when we stayed at POLY a few years ago, we were upgraded to concierge. So my two questions are:

What kind of upgrades have you received?
Did you do anything specific to get your upgrades or was it just by chance?

gonetowdw

We were just in Disney last week and we got an upgrade. We had a split stay. We started at the Polynesian, got the building and floor that we requested. We then moved offsite for a convention that I needed to attend. I was surprising my 15 year old and her friend and extending the stay after the convention. We were to check in to POR Royal room on Wednesday. I had reserved a standard view. On Tuesday night, I went to POR and asked what the cost would be to upgrade to a garden view. The concierge told me she would check the prices and went into a back room. She came out and said, "we comped the upgrade, have a great trip". It was the best room I have ever stayed at. Not only was the room incredible with all of the details, we had a corner room with a view of the fountain and the river.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I am going to be the bubble burster here....Upgrades are only given out due to operational needs of the resort. If you ask for one and it is available you will be charged for the upgrade. A guest getting upgraded from a moderate to a deluxe (the process is called walking) would be because they did not have room for them at the resort in which they were booked. Getting upgraded from a standard room to water view, prefered, etc., typically happens when they are trying to condense the guests into a particular part of the resort or if your room has gone out of service for one reason or another.

There are over 26,000 rooms at WDW, so upgrades happen every day, but they are becoming increasingly rare.

Vader2112

I have received a few upgrades in the past few years. On at CSR. It was a Magical Moment they gave me a huge Suite in the main building as a upgrade no charge for my 40th B-day. Granted my wife sent a letter in advance excplaining I was turning 40 dueing the MK 40th anniversary celebration. The others I asked on check in and offered to pay for the upgrade. Simple things like asking if the Royal Rooms at PORS were still available and asking if I could pay for the difference. I have to say in the past 2-3 years I have been receiving minor upgrades at check in without prompting. Just basics like a perferred room or a better vierw when I had book standard. With that said I have never checked in at a time when I could be walked. I let you all lnow if the streak continues next visit on Labor Day weekend @ WL.

DizneyPryncess

We were upgraded at the Boardwalk Villa's in 2009. We had booked a studio, and when we opened our door it was a 1 bedroom villa. She didn't tell us at check-in, we didn't know until we opened the door to a surprise. We did nothing special, just checked in as normal. It was our 1st anniversary, and that was noted on our reservation, but I don't think that had much to do with it. The CM that helped w/luggage said the same thing Master Yoda said above. He believed they were trying to fill a certain part of the resort, rather than have guests scattered.

Mukta

I was upgraded to concierge level at the Beach Club resort in 2009. I had my 2 Godkids with me.

Unfortunately, it was my first time staying deluxe, we were on the DDP and we were park commandos. I never really took advantage of the lounge offerings other than breakfast.

bethymouse

I was upgraded to concierge level at the Beach Club resort in 2009. I had my 2 Godkids with me.

Unfortunately, it was my first time staying deluxe, we were on the DDP and we were park commandos. I never really took advantage of the lounge offerings other than breakfast.
Wow- weekly visits, annual visits. Lucky!:D

coachwnh

We were given a savanna view just two weeks back at AKL and paid for a standard view. Also been given water views twice at YC only paying for standard. The most recent upgrade at YC was last Christmas. At no time did I ever request the upgrade so it can still happen.

wdwfan22

I am going to be the bubble burster here....Upgrades are only given out due to operational needs of the resort. If you ask for one and it is available you will be charged for the upgrade. A guest getting upgraded from a moderate to a deluxe (the process is called walking) would be because they did not have room for them at the resort in which they were booked. Getting upgraded from a standard room to water view, prefered, etc., typically happens when they are trying to condense the guests into a particular part of the resort or if your room has gone out of service for one reason or another.

There are over 26,000 rooms at WDW, so upgrades happen every day, but they are becoming increasingly rare.

That's not always true. We just recently had an upgrade at the Grand Floridian. We arrived and were given our room keys and location (standard garden view) so I went ahead and asked if they could upgrade us. The clerk went back and spoke with someone and then said she could upgrade us to Sugar Loaf. So it does happen sometimes just by asking.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
That's not always true. We just recently had an upgrade at the Grand Floridian. We arrived and were given our room keys and location (standard garden view) so I went ahead and asked if they could upgrade us. The clerk went back and spoke with someone and then said she could upgrade us to Sugar Loaf. So it does happen sometimes just by asking.

By policy you are supposed to be charged. Was there a problem with your original room?

gonetowdw

Nope we never even saw the original room. I just asked for the upgrade and they gave it to me. I know the policy states no upgrades but it does happen from time to time.
I totally agree with this. I for one can say that I have rarely been given any request that I have made. I have been reading this forum for many years and see many people who post and say that they have been given all of their requests. It is exremely rare that I get any request. Case in point, I went for a Huge(to me) milestone birthday and we had been staying at that point for 15 years at POR (formerly Dixie Landings). I requested the Mansion section, checked in and they gave me one of the worst buildings in the Bayou section. It was the one and only time that I broke down at check in because I could not believe the room they were giving us. They upgraded us to a River view room in the Mansion section. I did not want to get it this way. I would have happily paid to stay where I wanted to stay. The resort was pretty empty at the time as it was one of the slower times of the year. At POR you can pay for a preferred room but that does not guarantee that you will be in the Mansion/Bayou section. From this point forward, I will pay for a Royal room as that is the only way I will guarantee a Mansion room.

WLBound

When we stayed at the WL back in 2007 we were upgraded from Woods View to Courtyard View. We were there for our 10th Anniversary and our TA had noted that on our res along with the fact that we were repeat visitors to the Lodge. If I remember correctly, the clerk who checked us in did mention she was moving us up due to our anniversary (which is in Sept so it was value season so I'm sure there were more rooms available). Whatever the reason, we were very happy with the room.

jmorri26

Stayed at YC a few months back and when we checked in there were no standard view rooms ready at the moment so the girl just gave us a pool view that was ready instead. It helps if it's a slow season. Never been comped to concierge level or anything like that but usually if you ask for a certain building they'll see what they can do with things like that. My mom has blatantly asked at check in and you can see some CM's kind of do that "geez, not another one" half smile and say nothing is available. If it's meant to be, I'll happily let it happen though:)

zero creativity

We were given an upgrade to Club Level at the Poly last year. It was a great surprise but I have no idea why we got it. We were there for our anniversary maybe that had something to do with it.

luv

I somehow lucked out on getting upgrades. I didn't ask for them. I didn't even hope for them. Never listed any celebration. Didn't chat up the staff to make them like me. It was just dumb luck.

Most were just a better view than I'd paid for.

rob0519

We checked into the CR a few years ago for two rooms on the Bay Lake side of the building. After check-in we discovered that the pool was under contruction with all the noise that goes along with it and since it was stilll Spring Break season, there was blasting music until well after dark as well.

I went to the Front Desk and asked if was anything they could do to move our rooms. I was told sorry, but no. I then asked if they would check the Polynesian or GF for availability for even a part of our stay. The Front Desk clerk said she would check and went into the back room. Several mintues later a Manager came out and said there was no need to leave the CR for another resort and upgraded us to two rooms, Concierge Level Park View at no charge. Needless to say, I was shocked and then of course accepted his offer. In 20 + trips that is the only upgrade we've ever received.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom