Upgrade MYW to AP and Get DVC Discount?

Cosmic Commando

Original Poster
Hey guys... I tried to do a search on this, and I think it's a yes. If you have a MYW ticket, can you use it toward the purchase price of a discounted DVC AP?

I'm considering buying a small contract and using the points every 2-3 years. If I were to do something like a free dining (that requires you to buy park tickets to get the deal), so I'd be interested in taking those tickets and using them towards an AP for a trip on points in 2016.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
You cannot get free dining when you are using your points for a stay, but if you are only talking about upgrading a MYW ticket to an AP, then, yes you normally can. Just remember that if you use the tickets for some of the days, they will only give you the value of what is left, not what you originally paid. I don't know about the rules for free dining, since it isn't something we have ever done, or would ever do, so you might want to contact Disney to ensure that you aren't messing things up.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
When you get free dining you have to buy a package including full rack rate hotel prices plus a length of stay park ticket. I'm assuming you would look for free dining in the years you are not using your DVC points for a room. Are you saying you want to take those length of stay MYW park tickets and use them towards converting to an AP with a DVC discount? That seems possible since you can apply MYW tickets towards an upgrade to an AP, unless there is something in the terms of the free dining that explicitly prohibits it. It's probably a question for guest services.

MaxsDad

Yes you can. I have done this exact thing a few times. We go In September and get free dining packages, sometimes for a few days some times for the whole week. We then convert the tickets to DVC Discounted AP's. You get credit for the cost of the tickets towards the pass. Then when we go back in the spring, we have tickets and use our points for room.

Cosmic Commando

Original Poster
When you get free dining you have to buy a package including full rack rate hotel prices plus a length of stay park ticket. I'm assuming you would look for free dining in the years you are not using your DVC points for a room. Are you saying you want to take those length of stay MYW park tickets and use them towards converting to an AP with a DVC discount? That seems possible since you can apply MYW tickets towards an upgrade to an AP, unless there is something in the terms of the free dining that explicitly prohibits it. It's probably a question for guest services.
Thanks guys. I have done it before, upgrading the free dining tickets into a regular AP, but I wasn't sure if they would still let you get the DVC discount.

MaxsDad

Be sure you have your DVC membership cards at the ticket window and photo ID for the discount.

Also as far as your larger plan goes, it has worked for us. We have 170 points and have been able to go fairly frequently. We have mixed it in with "special offers" and been able to make some great memories.

Tom

Beta Return
Thanks guys. I have done it before, upgrading the free dining tickets into a regular AP, but I wasn't sure if they would still let you get the DVC discount.

Yes, you can apply any valid ticket toward the purchase of any more valuable ticket. But as others have said, you must book a MYW package with room and tickets in order to qualify for free dining, assuming they offer it this year. You absolutely can't get free dining if you're staying on points as a DVC member.

Cosmic Commando

Original Poster
That's fine. Because we'll have a small contract, we'll be able to squeeze in trips paying cash at times.

Now, our only problem is that somebody bought the contract we had our eyes on! :mad::bawling::banghead::arghh:

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
The lower point contracts (50 and under) go very quickly. Some of them don't even get listed and are snatched up right away. If using the Timeshare store, call them and tell them what resort and points you would like, and they can call you when something is available, maybe even before it's put on the website. Good luck!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom