Updated Flight Ban over WDW Property

AEfx

I find it ironic how some of you guys talk about how many hungry kids could be fed by the financier of the sky writing and yet make no mention of the big wigs at Disney grabbing cash hand over fist while the CMs try to live off of scab wages. Don't you think TDO leadership could make just as big of a dent in that hunger as the sky writing folks could?

I've quite strongly spoken about that, as well. That said, this isn't a standard "the money could be used for better things" argument - it's if the purpose was actually what folks thought it was, that it is, specifically aligned with the message he uses.

The difference is, though, that Disney is not co-opting the same messaging which actually espouses those values.

Basically, with the thousands of bucks a month that guy spends on this, he could actually fulfill the meaning messaging instead of just propagating it to folks it's going to be completely ineffective at best to.

All that said, the guy doesn't do it for the reasons folks think he does anyway, which is comic and sad at the same time. It's intent is anti-consumer activism against the Disney Corporation - and he chooses that spot specifically to chastise folks for giving Disney their money. In his opinion, if one believes that message, they would not be giving Walt Disney World their money, which is why he feels it needs to be pointed out in such a crass way. He's basically insulting people who go to WDW as he does not believe you would go there if you understood/believed in his message.

AEfx

Or... to take it a step further, and more personal, just imagine how many people we could all help if we donated the money we spend on Disney vacations.

Sure, that could be said about nearly anything.

But the point made was made that someone is spending money on the ineffective advertising of specific values instead of actually demonstrating those same values.

draybook

Disney isn't saying the same message as the sky writer yet they sponsor or whatever the Night of Joy, which happens to be a Christian event. You can't have your cake and eat it to. If they are sponsoring/hosting a Christian event then how can you not compare them to a Christian message written in the sky?

AEfx

Agreed (and in fact I agree with much of your post), but there is a difference between being annoyed that a skywriting message is in the background of your view (or pictures) and actually finding an innocuous message offensive just because you personally disagree with the viewpoint.

The thing is, the people who are most offended that I have seen are those that don't disagree with the viewpoint at all but actually agree with it very much - they simply think that sky writing is about as crass as it can get and that it cheapens their deeply held personal beliefs.

In any case, I think the word that keeps coming to mind is "unnecessary" - it's simply not the time nor the place for such things.

AEfx

Disney isn't saying the same message as the sky writer yet they sponsor or whatever the Night of Joy, which happens to be a Christian event. You can't have your cake and eat it to. If they are sponsoring/hosting a Christian event then how can you not compare them to a Christian message written in the sky?

If you can't see the difference between an up-charge WDW music event and this topic, I don't think I could explain it in a way that would satisfy you.

I agree, Disney could do more. But Disney's purpose for existing is not to propagate that message. The only reason this sky writing exists is to propagate a message - one that no one seems to actually receive. The point of the message being sky written is actually the opposite of the meaning of the values behind it. I understand because of the topic folks are being intentionally obtuse, but this is not a difficult concept.

Again, though - the entire thing is pointless because he's actually not espousing those values - his point is to say that if you visit WDW you do not have those values and therefore need to see the message, which if I did share those values would actually be quite offensive to me knowing the intent. But since his message is lost, the very folks who defend or support the skywriting don't even realize that it's actually being very critical of them in particular.

draybook

If you can't see the difference between an up-charge WDW music event and this topic, I don't think I could explain it in a way that would satisfy you.

I agree, Disney could do more. But Disney's purpose for existing is not to propagate that message. The only reason this sky writing exists is to propagate a message - one that no one seems to actually receive. The point of the message being sky written is actually the opposite of the meaning of the values behind it. I understand because of the topic folks are being intentionally obtuse, but this is not a difficult concept.

Again, though - the entire thing is pointless because he's actually not espousing those values - his point is to say that if you visit WDW you do not have those values and therefore need to see the message, which if I did share those values would actually be quite offensive to me knowing the intent. But since his message is lost, the very folks who defend or support the skywriting don't even realize that it's actually being very critical of them in particular.

I don't need anything explained to me.

Last edited:

Provocateur, Rancanteur, Plaisanter, du Jour
Ultimately, if you choose to attend an up charge event with religious overtone, that is not prothletising, that's worship. If someone visits upon you their religious views without invitation, that is prothletising. Disney always has a profit motive, not a religious one.

*1023*

Trauma

Wow I came here expecting one thing and found another. I can't believe there are actually people here defending the sky writing as "ok". Sure it's ok in the sense that it's within the law but it's done in extremely poor taste. I'm sure disney can't stand it. Imagine if you had a plane always flying over your business with idiotic messages.

Goofyernmost

Chances are that the sky-writer isn't over Disney Property anyway. You can see the same message from Universal. Big Letters can be seen long distances away so they could put a ban of flight over from the ground to the moon and he would still be able to write his message. Solution? There are two actually. The first one is don't look up! The second is.. if you do look up, ignore the message. No one can offend you unless you allow yourself to be offended.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Chances are that the sky-writer isn't over Disney Property anyway. You can see the same message from Universal. Big Letters can be seen long distances away so they could put a ban of flight over from the ground to the moon and he would still be able to write his message. Solution? There are two actually. The first one is don't look up! The second is.. if you do look up, ignore the message. No one can offend you unless you allow yourself to be offended.
Thanks...it makes no difference if you are defending or condemning the skywriters right to free speech...just ignore it.

WildcatDen

We deal with posters here and still get by, idiotic or not. I am not saying there are not intolerant religious people, there are. It just seems that the vocal majority are those that complain about it.

Last edited:

draybook

We've had the KKK come here to Memphis multiple times since I moved here. So believe me, if that doesn't bother me then no messages in the sky anywhere near WDW or Universal will move me.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Yeah, but the extremists Islamist are to Muslim like the Westwood folks are to Christians, imo. But anyhow, we have a better chance of dying in a car wreck on the way to work than we do at the hands of extremists.

That IS true - you are about 3 times as likely to win the Powerball drawing, and 10 times as likely to be hit by lighting as you are to be killed in a terror attack.

draybook

That IS true - you are about 3 times as likely to win the Powerball drawing, and 10 times as likely to be hit by lighting as you are to be killed in a terror attack.

Semi off topic, but am I the only one that likes to dabble with the package maker on the Disney site, assembling my dream vacation if I were to win the lottery?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom