Update: Escape From Tomorrow

Keys Please

I am wondering 2 things:

1) Has there been a public statement from TWDC (i.e. Bob Iger) condemning the subject matter of the film in such direct association with the Disney brand? If not, why not?

I would think every parent, sexual abuse victim and victims' advocate would be beating Iger's door down on this.

2) Why have Disney's IP lawyers not shut this down already?

This would be the easiest case in the world. Sue for unauthorized publication of any IP (artwork) that is shown in the film.

jakeman

I am wondering 2 things:

1) Has there been a public statement from TWDC (i.e. Bob Iger) condemning the subject matter of the film in such direct association with the Disney brand? If not, why not?

I would think every parent, sexual abuse victim and victims' advocate would be beating Iger's door down on this.

2) Why have Disney's IP lawyers not shut this down already?

This would be the easiest case in the world. Sue for unauthorized publication of any IP (artwork) that is shown in the film.
1. Because outside of film guys and Disney guys, no one really knows about this. Why bring attention to it when you can let it die quietly?

2. See number 1.

zeebs758

In the Parks
Yes
I remember hearing about this film last year and there would have be news that WDC is doing something about stopping the film from being released.

jakeman

Funny how the urge to let things die quietly is always the kneejerk reaction to this subject matter.
I don't think it's a knee jerk. It's in Disney best interest to ignore it right now. By all accounts I read in the 15 minutes of following links, other than the novelty of the way it was shot, it isn't a good movie.

If was a threat then Disney would take action, but right now all it does is show that security is so lax that you can shoot a feature length film that involved a gun related death on their property and not get caught.

If there is any hint that it is gaining traction that even potentially surpasses the attention that would be brought by a lawsuit, then Disney will do something.

muteki

Well they did say in another article that this release would be edited and not the original version that played at the film festival. We may never know what they took out.

The backlash would be worse if Disney tried to do anything about the film, and even if they kept it from being released officially, ultimately it would end up out there via unofficial channels. They are better off just ignoring it.

Keys Please

I don't agree. I think the fact that the movie is of poor quality is irrelevant. I also think that the film has garnered enough media and national attention already, that it can't just be brushed off like some guy's youtube video.

When certain lines are crossed, it is necessary to take a stand, if you are what you claim to be. I am of the opinion that such a stand is appropriate in this case, and I know that there are a lot of people out there who have to agree with me, and for whom such a stand would mean a great deal.

Last edited:

lebeau

Anyone who had seen this film will know it is terrible and not worth the time fighting to prevent it from going public. Disney is being smart by just ignoring it.

Haven't seen it. But I have heard it is very well done. Personally, I desperately want to see it.

But I agree Disney is smart to ignore it.

GrumpyFan

It's only known and being talked about in a couple of select circles, 1) Disney fans, who seem to either find it curiously interesting or on the flip side,disgusting, 2) Film buffs who admire how its "Guerilla style" shooting technique. Outside of those two, not very many people have heard of it.

This was discussed quite a bit when it first made its appearance at Sundance, and the general consensus was that Disney would have a hard time squashing this and making it go away without it creating a lot of noise in the press, which would give it even more publicity. A quick Google News search only turned up less than a dozen hits, and LA Times and Entertainment Weekly were the only two major news outlets covering the release. So, I really don't see that this is getting much traction.

Looking at the latest poster though, it seems as the distributor/studio is pushing the envelope and maybe their luck by featuring a bloody likeness of Mickey's hand and the well-known Disney script style font. But still, I think Disney's best move is to stay quiet on it, and if asked about it, simply state that it was unsanctioned, unauthorized and they haven't seen it and/or don't condone it. Anything more than that, and I think they run the risk of inadvertently helping to promote this garbage.

muteki

I don't agree. I think the fact that the movie is of poor quality is irrelevant. I also think that the film has garnered enough media and national attention already, that it can't just be brushed off like some guy's youtube video.

When certain lines are crossed, it is necessary to take a stand, if you are what you claim to be. I am of the opinion that such a stand is appropriate in this case, and I know that there are a lot of people out there who have to agree with me, and for whom such a stand would mean a great deal.
Disney doesn't consider something to have enough media attention unless it ends up on GMA. A few websites, blogs, and forums don't count.

By this point, they must have given it some consideration and judging from the fact that it is getting a wider release we must conclude that Disney either wasn't too bothered, or didn't think it was worth the fight. Or the worst bits were cut from the film. If it was so cut and dry we wouldn't even be discussing the movie now.

And this certainly isn't the first movie that paints a company in a not so positive light. Films like Supersize Me come to mind, which McDonalds didn't get pulled, and it turned out to be quite popular.

Last edited:

jakeman

What lines are you talking about?

Looking at the latest poster though, it seems as the distributor/studio is pushing the envelope and maybe their luck by featuring a bloody likeness of Mickey's hand and the well-known Disney script style font. But still, I think Disney's best move is to stay quiet on it, and if asked about it, simply state that it was unsanctioned, unauthorized and they haven't seen it and/or don't condone it. Anything more than that, and I think they run the risk of inadvertently helping to promote this garbage.
I'm sure they are pushing on purpose to goad Disney into a lawsuit.

DrewmanS

I don't agree. I think the fact that the movie is of poor quality is irrelevant. I also think that the film has garnered enough media and national attention already, that it can't just be brushed off like some guys youtube video.

How do we know Disney is not doing anything about it. Just because legal action has not been filed in court does not mean Disney is ignoring the film. There could be a team of layers communicating with the producers of the film. Distributors and theaters may boycott the film out of concern of upsetting one of their biggest clients. Perhaps Disney is in negotiations to buy the film and then destroy it.

Just because Disney has not taken a public stance, I seriously doubt that they have chosen just to ignore the issue. For that matter, for all we know Disney may have approved the filming of the movie and is somehow involved in its production.

Keys Please

And this certainly isn't the first movie that paints a company in a not so positive light. Films like Supersize Me come to mind, which McDonalds didn't try to get pulled.

Focusing in on this paragraph. To me, it is not an issue of painting the company in an non-positive light. I don't think Disney Parks, unlike McDonalds, need to apologize for anything as far as their product goes (in this context - hah). What bothers me is the subject matter brazenly inserted in the Disney Parks context, without authorization. And the subsequent silence.

Skyway

They are better off just ignoring it.

Exactly. Compare this film to "Blackfish", which has much wider theatrical release, with a much wider target audience, will soon play on CNN, and has been discussed as a possible Oscar nominee.

Sea World took the very unusual step of addressing that film and it blew up in their face. Sea World's comments gave it even more publicity but didn't really help blunt the film's impact.

Keys Please

Exactly. Compare this film to "Blackfish", which has much wider theatrical release, with a much wider target audience, will soon play on CNN, and has been discussed as a possible Oscar nominee.

Sea World took the very unusual step of addressing that film and it blew up in their face. Sea World's comments gave it even more publicity but didn't really help blunt the film's impact.

Don't think it compares - same as Supersize Me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom