Upcoming WDW Trip...kicked out of Coronado Springs

Back to the original issue...its funny, we have stayed at the moderates a decade ago when we last visited. We visited yearly for about 5 - 6 years. I recall liking Riverside and CS. Around 9/11 we were actually upgraded from CB to WL; as I recall they closed CB. We were disappointed because at that point because we were looking forward to a return visit to CB. It was Xmas time and WL lobby etc was beautiful but the room was no better than CS or Riverside. In fact we rather enjoyed the walking around the moderate resorts that WL really did not offer. Further the Deluxes do not have food courts. It seems the moderate food courts are an upgrade over the All Stars and perfect for parties with diverse eating habits not wanting to break the bank at a sit down and being able to eat on site without another bus trip. It was an enyoyable trip but upgrade or not, we'd have been just as happy, if not happier at the less expensive CB.

I do know that AK and WL started off as moderates so perhaps I never really experienced a true deluxe but sometimes you just want what works best for you. If you were happy at Riverside, great. If AK is a new experience that works for you so much the better. Remember, unless you are a Rockefeller, this is very expensive trip...be sure to be where you will enjoy yourself.

FYI - we are taking a chance next week and heading to Old Key West. We got a great deal form a DVC member we know. I almost turned it down, again because of the whole food issue--there is very little on site at OKW from what I see. It also looks like a condo complex and I like the resort feel of CB/CS etc so I am a little worried. However, sometimes it's nice to try new things especially if a good offer comes along. Hope I have an enjoyable experience as do (or did) you!

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Back to the original issue...its funny, we have stayed at the moderates a decade ago when we last visited. We visited yearly for about 5 - 6 years. I recall liking Riverside and CS. Around 9/11 we were actually upgraded from CB to WL; as I recall they closed CB. We were disappointed because at that point because we were looking forward to a return visit to CB. It was Xmas time and WL lobby etc was beautiful but the room was no better than CS or Riverside. In fact we rather enjoyed the walking around the moderate resorts that WL really did not offer. Further the Deluxes do not have food courts. It seems the moderate food courts are an upgrade over the All Stars and perfect for parties with diverse eating habits not wanting to break the bank at a sit down and being able to eat on site without another bus trip. It was an enyoyable trip but upgrade or not, we'd have been just as happy, if not happier at the less expensive CB.

I do know that AK and WL started off as moderates so perhaps I never really experienced a true deluxe but sometimes you just want what works best for you. If you were happy at Riverside, great. If AK is a new experience that works for you so much the better. Remember, unless you are a Rockefeller, this is very expensive trip...be sure to be where you will enjoy yourself.

FYI - we are taking a chance next week and heading to Old Key West. We got a great deal form a DVC member we know. I almost turned it down, again because of the whole food issue--there is very little on site at OKW from what I see. It also looks like a condo complex and I like the resort feel of CB/CS etc so I am a little worried. However, sometimes it's nice to try new things especially if a good offer comes along. Hope I have an enjoyable experience as do (or did) you!
A couple of things....

WL and AKL were never moderates. They have always been classified as Deluxe resorts. The difference between them and their counterparts such as the Poly and Contemporary is they were built at a time where market research showed that resort guests were more concerned about the resort amenities than the size of the room. Hence, they built smaller rooms. This also allowed them to increase the number of rooms without the overall footprint of the resort getting larger.

Another reason you will see a lot of similarities between WL and AKL is they were both designed by the same architect, Peter Dominick.

If you look at the lobbies of both resorts and strip off the theaming, you will find that they are almost identical.

While the food courts do have a few more options than the counter service restaurants in the deluxe resorts, you will find that they have about 70%-80% of the menu items that the food courts have. They just are not divided into separate stations. What can be a minus to some picky eaters is the deluxe resorts tend to theme their menu offerings at the quick service locations to the theme of the resort.

Jon81uk

While the food courts do have a few more options than the counter service restaurants in the deluxe resorts, you will find that they have about 70%-80% of the menu items that the food courts have. They just are not divided into separate stations. What can be a minus to some picky eaters is the deluxe resorts tend to theme their menu offerings at the quick service locations to the theme of the resort.

I disagree with this.

If you compare the menu of Roaring Fork at Wilderness Lodge http://allears.net/dining/menu/roaring-fork/lunch-dinner
that menu is mainly centered around hot sandwiches, cold sandwiches and flatbread pizza.

Then look at the menu at Riverside Mill Food Court at Port Orleans http://allears.net/dining/menu/riverside-mill-food-court/lunch-dinner
where in addition to hot and cold sandwiches there is also create-your-own pasta or salad, there is also the carved meats at dinner. The menu might not be much bigger, but it does have a larger dinner offer.

Old Port Royale at Carribean Beach http://allears.net/dining/menu/old-port-royale-food-court/lunch-dinner is still hot & cold sandwiches and pizza but also offers baked fish, or chicken and the sandwiches are much different to other places.

Captain Cooks at the Poly http://allears.net/dining/menu/capt-cooks/lunch-dinner does seem to offer some different dishes with pho and thai meatballs. But in general the selections at a deluxe are a little more limited for quick service.

Courtney6682

A couple of things....

WL and AKL were never moderates. They have always been classified as Deluxe resorts. The difference between them and their counterparts such as the Poly and Contemporary is they were built at a time where market research showed that resort guests were more concerned about the resort amenities than the size of the room. Hence, they built smaller rooms. This also allowed them to increase the number of rooms without the overall footprint of the resort getting larger.

Another reason you will see a lot of similarities between WL and AKL is they were both designed by the same architect, Peter Dominick.

If you look at the lobbies of both resorts and strip off the theaming, you will find that they are almost identical.

very informative and interesting! thank you!!

rob0519

(Apologies if I'm posting in the wrong group here...)

Last October, I booked our WDW trip, staying in the Coronado Springs, arriving late November after thanksgiving. Today, I had an answerphone message from WDW asking me to urgently contact them. The person I spoke to told me that some convention has not long been reserved there and all affected guests (us) are being relocated. In my case, it was to the Riverside. I have no problem with POR, except that I hear this is the resort used to accommodate the overspill of Pop Warner. The compensate being that we will get three extra FP's each per day.

I am curious as to what this sudden convention actually is that warrant's canning people's reservations, we tried booking POR before Coronado's and it was full - so how come its suddenly available? And has this happened to anyone else?

I'm not sure if I should be glad or feel angry about this....

Here is this year's Pop Warner Schedule. If you're not staying past the weekend of 12/02-12/03, Pop Warner shouldn't be a problem.

Pop Warner Week – The Pop Warner Super Bowl and National Cheer & Dance Championships are held at Disney World in early December (2016 dates: December 5-9). The Value resorts and some of the Moderate resorts will be FULL of kids (both football players and cheerleaders – there are 64 football teams and 400 cheer squads competing). Expect a lot of noise if you stay there. This event can cause increased crowds at the parks in the evenings (not during the day, since they are busy competing).

AndrewsJ

A couple of things....

Thank you! I laughed out loud when I read AKL and WL started out as moderates. No offense to anyone but where in the world do folks come up with this stuff. :facepalm:

Graham9

Original Poster
Here is this year's Pop Warner Schedule. If you're not staying past the weekend of 12/02-12/03, Pop Warner shouldn't be a problem.

Pop Warner Week – The Pop Warner Super Bowl and National Cheer & Dance Championships are held at Disney World in early December (2016 dates: December 5-9). The Value resorts and some of the Moderate resorts will be FULL of kids (both football players and cheerleaders – there are 64 football teams and 400 cheer squads competing). Expect a lot of noise if you stay there. This event can cause increased crowds at the parks in the evenings (not during the day, since they are busy competing).

Thanks for the info, but we won't be a WDW this year and probably not any year after as our Disney days have come to an end. Sadly.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom