Upcoming WDW Trip...kicked out of Coronado Springs

mousehockey37

With the recent incident at the GF, and having two children under 10, I pretty much vetoed the GF option as I didn't want that extra worry (rational or not...I know FL is full of gators....)

Wait... So because you'd have to be a parent you chose to not stay there? o_O

Poor reason to not stay there IMO. It was a random incident where parents let their guard down and there still isn't a fully conclusive story to what actually transpired.

That said, I'll stay at the GF in your place. ;)

mouse_luv

I have never stayed at AKL, just recently booked a Club Level room there for Thanksgiving 2016, so I can't speak for their transportation. I'm just a fan of smaller resorts, views, and boat or monorail access. This may sound crazy, but after a little over a week at Poly we tried to extend for an extra night to give us time to do Disney Springs, they were sold out. I chose POFQ over a few other options solely because of size and convenience to Disney Springs. I thought CSR had multiple bus stops, but maybe I'm confusing it with CBR?lol

Anyway, I was surprised to learn how many activities AKL has throughout the day!!! Make sure to check some out! Also with club level they have apps, samples, and deserts from Boma and Jiko apparently! I'm excited bc we only plan on ordering room service and probably eating falafels at Mara (I've hear they have good ones!), so the club level selections will be great for us to try.

I never once considered AKL before this trip, solely due to location, and now I understand why people choose to stay there. I'm sure you will love it!!! Your trip is before mine, so please post photos and give some reports!

AKL is our "home" resort (KIDANI side) and sigh I dream of that place all the time when I'm not there. From the atmosphere to the smells and then the animals. There are so many activities during the day at the community room and the pool. And there's usually a CM from somewhere in Africa out on the little deck area to talk about the animals etc (I love talking to them about their country and everything).
You are going to love it there. BTW-We've never had a problem with buses at AKL and they have the ETA screens up now. ENJOY! :cat:

As for the poster with the option of moving, you will love AKL as well, but if it was me I would have snatched up GF in a heartbeat b/c there is no comparing that resort with all the others. IDC about the beach etc, you don't even have to go near it and they have things up now where Alligators can't even get in/on the beach.

21stamps

Can you imagine if guests staying at either GF or Poly received such phone calls?! There'd be calls for Iger's head (like that's not happening now).

In reading through posts, it appears that the relocations were due to large groups (convention, sports competition, etc.) staying at the affected resort(s). I doubt if either GF or Poly books large groups such as those, even though GF does have a convention center.
I would totally freak out... I'd probably cry...and then rage.lol
AKL is our "home" resort (KIDANI side) and sigh I dream of that place all the time when I'm not there. From the atmosphere to the smells and then the animals. There are so many activities during the day at the community room and the pool. And there's usually a CM from somewhere in Africa out on the little deck area to talk about the animals etc (I love talking to them about their country and everything).
You are going to love it there. BTW-We've never had a problem with buses at AKL and they have the ETA screens up now. ENJOY! :cat:

As for the poster with the option of moving, you will love AKL as well, but if it was me I would have snatched up GF in a heartbeat b/c there is no comparing that resort with all the others. IDC about the beach etc, you don't even have to go near it and they have things up now where Alligators can't even get in/on the beach.
this is good to hear!! We won't be doing any parks on that stay, so looking forward to experiencing all that AKL has to offer!

Last edited:

AndrewsJ

Before we were DVC we loved Coronado but it can be a little hectic during a convention so I would be happy to go to Riverside. The place-making and themeing really take you out of the real world. Have a great trip!

daisyduckie

Does a downgrade ever happen? If I'm booked at CR or the Poly could they ever switch me? I would probably change my trip dates of that happened, no joke. Booking the resort is my biggest decision of the trip..and I choose them for very specific reasons.

It happens, but it is very rare.

Jon81uk

The compensation to a deluxe resort is nice/awesome, however this is one of those cases of who moved my cheese. My family likes staying in the BC rooms at CSR because of location, the resort pool, and the restaurants. With only 6 weeks til trip time, this was sort of a stressful decision since we had never been to any of the other resort offerings. With the recent incident at the GF, and having two children under 10, I pretty much vetoed the GF option as I didn't want that extra worry (rational or not...I know FL is full of gators....). We had been interested in the Wilderness Lodge but the current construction and seemingly large complaints on transportation issues made that decision a little hesitant. We then ended up with taking the Animal Kingdom Lodge option with Savanna view club level access. The kids and wife and pretty excited now about that resort after watching a lot of YouTube videos and review sites. I'm more excited now as well.

I've read the opposite about Wilderness Lodge transport, as half the rooms are closed for remodelling to villas the buses and boats are much quieter than normal. Don't forget AKL is a long way from Magic Kingdom, whereas Wilderness Lodge is a short bus ride or boat trip to MK.

Also you are right the fear of staying at the Grand Floridian is completely irrational, I'm sure you wouldn't let your children play in the lake and also Disney have added fences so that children can't get in the lake easily.

Last edited:

Club34

CSR to POR is not an upgrade. on what planet is that an upgrade? CSR has deluxe amenities and better transport at a moderate price. their theme pool might be the best on property. but by all means, please don't stay there. i love going in january and i have the place to myself.

RustyB.

Wait... So because you'd have to be a parent you chose to not stay there? o_O

Poor reason to not stay there IMO. It was a random incident where parents let their guard down and there still isn't a fully conclusive story to what actually transpired.

That said, I'll stay at the GF in your place. ;)

No need to be rude about your perceived lack of my parenting skills, especially considering you don't know me at all. As a parent, it has and still does give me nightmares about what that child's last moments must have been like and the father who was unable to save him. Pure terrifying nightmare fuel. I don't want the added stress of that looming over our supposed vacation and I don't want to stay somewhere that has a constant reminder of that event. It doesn't have a single thing to do with me *having* to be a parent.

21stamps

No need to be rude about your perceived lack of my parenting skills, especially considering you don't know me at all. As a parent, it has and still does give me nightmares about what that child's last moments must have been like and the father who was unable to save him. Pure terrifying nightmare fuel. I don't want the added stress of that looming over our supposed vacation and I don't want to stay somewhere that has a constant reminder of that event. It doesn't have a single thing to do with me *having* to be a parent.
Just remember, sometimes people can't pass up an opportunity to proclaim their amazing parental skills.

I may not agree with your reasons for not choosing GF, and that's ok, I don't need to. It's YOUR vacation. But coming from someone who knew that alligators could be in that water, yet still let her child play at waters edge, and would still let him near there today, I'm sick and tired of hearing people blame the poor parents for what happened. The father tried to fight an alligator!! They suffered the worst kind of hell anyone can imagine. It doesn't mean they were bad parents. I wish everyone could just let it go, let them grieve without accusations. Unfortunately, our society is not one of empathy now, it's always looking for a way to judge or condemn someone else's parenting.

UncleFastpass

pretty happy with the transportation at CSR - the BC rooms are right at El Centro, so it's like a 30 to 60 second walk to the bus stop. Haven't had any problems catching buses - most likely to us going in 'off season' in September. Hopefully as you are stating, the AKL transportation is just as good or better!
There are two stops at AKL, Jambo house and Kidani the stops are close to the lobbies,however depending on where you are it can be a hike.Kidani village has some very long hallways and it can take a while to get to the bus.

Last edited:

mousehockey37

If you're a good parent, you won't let your kid get in harms way. So you are undermining your skills, GREATLY.

It's a lesson learned. Don't let your kids near the water when it's getting dark. Common sense. It's amazing how uncommon common sense really is.

Again, I'll take your ressie if gators make you scared...

wdwfan22

CSR to POR is not an upgrade. on what planet is that an upgrade? CSR has deluxe amenities and better transport at a moderate price. their theme pool might be the best on property. but by all means, please don't stay there. i love going in january and i have the place to myself.

I agree Coronado Springs is about as close to a Deluxe Resort you can get without paying for it.

LongLiveTheKing

It was a random incident where parents let their guard down and there still isn't a fully conclusive story to what actually transpired
Not to change the thread topic, and I don't want to have a discussion on this, but the father didn't "let his guard down." He was right next to the child the entire time and had time to fight the gator before the kid were dragged off.

That said, yes, I don't agree with ruling out a free upgrade to the GF because of that. Even if you're irrationally paranoid about gators like me, you can easily avoid the beaches.

LongLiveTheKing

I've booked a room at POR for the week of Labor Day. An upgrade to GF, Polt, or even Contemporary would be nice. ;):cool:
Tbh I think Contemporary is the coolest one just because the monorail goes through it. Also, just look at it structurally. It's two massive structures leaning on each other and they balanced that out and made a hotel.

mousehockey37

Not to change the thread topic, and I don't want to have a discussion on this, but the father didn't "let his guard down." He was right next to the child the entire time and had time to fight the gator before the kid were dragged off.

That said, yes, I don't agree with ruling out a free upgrade to the GF because of that. Even if you're irrationally paranoid about gators like me, you can easily avoid the beaches.

Were you there? No one has given a conclusive story as to what happened.

I've heard the older child was in a play pen further back on the beach, why not the younger one?

The fact is the parent failed. Enough of this PC society sympathy. The world owes you nothing. If people can't handle the fact that nature was there before the people, then don't vacation there.

To agree though, just because there are beaches doesn't mean you need to step foot on one.

21stamps

Were you there? No one has given a conclusive story as to what happened.

I've heard the older child was in a play pen further back on the beach, why not the younger one?

The fact is the parent failed. Enough of this PC society sympathy. The world owes you nothing. If people can't handle the fact that nature was there before the people, then don't vacation there.

To agree though, just because there are beaches doesn't mean you need to step foot on one.
I truly hope that you do not believe what you are saying. Maybe it's some defense mechanism so you can convince yourself that nothing bad will ever happen to you. Maybe you don't let your kids go in the ocean, in a lake ,jump off the diving board, play a sport, on an airplane, in a car, camping, or anywhere else where you could technically be putting them in danger. If you do let them do these things, and they would get harmed, it would not make you a bad parent or that you failed. It would just mean that something horrible happened..because sometimes bad horrible things happen, that's all.

mousehockey37

I truly hope that you do not believe what you are saying. Maybe it's some defense mechanism so you can convince yourself that nothing bad will ever happen to you. Maybe you don't let your kids go in the ocean, in a lake ,jump off the diving board, play a sport, on an airplane, in a car, camping, or anywhere else where you could technically be putting them in danger. If you do let them do these things, and they would get harmed, it would not make you a bad parent or that you failed. It would just mean that something horrible happened..because sometimes bad horrible things happen, that's all.

Bad things do happen, but it doesn't mean you avoid things like the plague or go demanding compensation or such. My thoughts are you are more in jeopardy at home than on vacation. However, failure to know common sense things about your travel destination are your fault. I prepare thoroughly for travel and make sure I know what dangers are present and how to avoid them.

21stamps

Bad things do happen, but it doesn't mean you avoid things like the plague or go demanding compensation or such. My thoughts are you are more in jeopardy at home than on vacation. However, failure to know common sense things about your travel destination are your fault. I prepare thoroughly for travel and make sure I know what dangers are present and how to avoid them.
I'm glad you know about the destinations you are going to do. I wish everyone took a few moments out of their day to that.
We don't know if these parents knew or didn't know. Either way I don't blame them, and I definitely don't think they should be blamed or judged by anyone. We, as a society, have started attacking parents instead of having empathy. I don't know when that trend happened, but it's not a good one.

Regardless, I also don't think people should be scared of beaches or any area near a body of water. That's been discussed thoroughly in another thread though.

AndrewsJ

Kidani is one of my home resorts as well and I feel the same way. That place is truly an escape from reality. When I'm there I can actually breathe and all of my daily stress just melts away. I own at GF and OKW as well but they don't give me the same feeling Kidani does.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom