Upcoming/Rumored Projects

Rutt

I don't want to be a Debbie downer, but I believe this coaster will be tamer than you think. It is a short coaster with 2 tame launches. If the coaster is longer than a minute and 20 seconds, I will be surprised. It will make the SDMT seem like an epic journey in comparison and that's just sad.
Too short maybe, but thrill wise i think it will be something that is sorely lacking at TPSTBFKADHS. It will be nice to have a couple other things that my little ones can ride with me.

Goofyernmost

Too short maybe, but thrill wise i think it will be something that is sorely lacking at TPSTBFKADHS. It will be nice to have a couple other things that my little ones can ride with me.
What degree of wild is wanted in Toy Story Land primarily for kids and their family's.

rd805

No, that is what is blatantly incorrect.

Here are some facts:

The partnership with Avatar was announced when I was a sophomore in college, either Fall 2008, or Spring 2009. Development began over 2 years later in 2011, and we are just seeing this opened in 2017. For comparison, the entire Wizarding world of Harry Potter phase 1 was announced in 2007, broken ground in 2008 and opened in 2010.

Diagon Alley / Wizarding World Phase 2 was announced in 2012, and opened by 2014. These are highly immersive lands too.
Race Through New York was announced in 2015, opened in 2017.
Skull Island was announced 2014, and opened in 2016.

Star Wars was announced in 2015, and is targeting an opening in 2019.
Toy Story Land Orlando was announced 2015, and will open 2018? -- i actually don't know the estimated opening date so i hope 2018 is right haha!

Rutt

Here are some facts:

The partnership with Avatar was announced when I was a sophomore in college, either Fall 2008, or Spring 2009. Development began over 2 years later in 2011, and we are just seeing this opened in 2017. For comparison, the entire Wizarding world of Harry Potter phase 1 was announced in 2007, broken ground in 2008 and opened in 2010.

Diagon Alley / Wizarding World Phase 2 was announced in 2012, and opened by 2014. These are highly immersive lands too.

Toy Story Land Orlando was announced 2015, and will open 2018? -- i actually don't know the estimated opening date so i hope 2018 is right haha!
This is of course assuming the announcement date is the actual date of work commencement.

Not saying youre wrong, but Disney announcing things way early had nothing to do with build time.
Do we have shovel in ground to completion comparisons?

rd805

This is of course assuming the announcement date is the actual date of work commencement.

Not saying youre wrong, but Disney announcing things way early had nothing to do with build time.

I totally understand what you are saying --- and i'll try to do some research to compare, but it definitely frustrates me that they "announce" things so far in advance for it to sit for years without carrying out and completing.

Also, the lack of new attractions at WDW over the past 10 years is probably the bigger issue for me than actual completion time.
Great little debate, this is why I love these boards.

trainplane3

I totally understand what you are saying --- and i'll try to do some research to compare, but it definitely frustrates me that they "announce" things so far in advance for it to sit for years without carrying out and completing.

Also, the lack of new attractions at WDW over the past 10 years is probably the bigger issue for me than actual completion time.
This is exactly what the computer world has been like. Intel and AMD fought it out 15 years ago and Intel was champion. CPUs have been stagnant since 2010-11ish. Now that AMD is coming out swinging, Intel is straight up panicking with their poorly put together i8, i9, and x299 chipset.

Point is, once Disney really feels the Universal threat then we'll see quick change. Competition is good in all spaces. Disney will figure out they can't drag their feet in Florida anymore eventually.

Last edited:

RSoxNo1

Here are some facts:

Actual facts:
September 20, 2011: The partnership with Cameron was announced for an AVATAR land in DAK. No date was given for the opening.
October 24, 2012: the blueprints leaked and it appears they went largely unchanged.
February 14, 2013: In a press release Disney states that construction will begin in 2013
October 12, 2013: First concept art released, announced that Camp Minnie Mickey would close in 2014.
November 25, 2013: Paperwork filed for the project with the OC Register, expiring in 2016.
January 10, 2014: Disney breaks ground on the land with Joe Rohde, George Kalogridis, Jon Landau and three random people present.
May 27, 2017: Official opening of Pandora

Goofyernmost

They also had Mr. Cameron to deal with, and you cannot go by announcement days because that can vary like the wind. Construction time is determined by when the actual construction begins. While I will admit that it took a while for Pandora to be built, just from my amateur status, that project, in building alone, was far more complex then Harry Potter. You need to not count it from the "shovel in the ground". It is when the first movement was made to actually prepare the site for it. And remember they had to build a building for Lion King and move that as well. Even with that it took a long time to build, but, from things that I read about Cameron, he was a class A piece of work. But, that may be why we have a creative and totally different attraction. If it took a couple of years longer... so be it. I am not sure why the obsession of it takes to long comes from. Where are there any rules that say it should take a specific amount of time. It's just another topic for people to be negative about. It's their playground, it's their timing and necessity, and their call. All we can do is wait for it to be built, when is of no real consequence for us.

Last edited:

Rutt

That I get. They do tend to announce well in advance and then us diehards sit here for years going 'Come on!!!!'. It kills me too. But the actual construction seems pretty quick from what I can tell.
edit - see below - 4 years for Pandora. Matter of opinion but I personally think even better themed than WWOHP but arguably could have been done quicker.

As for the additions, they've actually added quite a bit but sadly its generally been at the cost of something else, and most of it has not been very 'big' for the adult side (other than upsells and parties). I personally wish they would step away from the IPs but thats their current deal.
I think it's also important to remember that Walt Disney World was already pretty far ahead and that while Universal has been building like mad, lots of it is stuff Disney already has (resorts, waterpark, which looks amazing btw).

I myself AM pretty excited by TSL as an excellent family option. I wish the roundup had stayed, but what can you do. I am also excited to see how SWE turns out and how and if any of the other rumoured changes come to fruition.

Goob

If they decided to expand on Pandora, what are people thoughts on what could be done? Attraction/ride wise.

I'm having a hard time thinking of anything that could be done.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
January 10, 2014: Disney breaks ground on the land with Joe Rohde, George Kalogridis, Jon Landau and three random people present.
May 27, 2017: Official opening of Pandora

And if you use the groundbreaking/demolition date to opening date, here's how the 'lands' compare...

upload_2017-6-6_23-28-59.png

Please let me know if any of the dates are wrong. It was hard to find some of the dates that were considered groundbreaking dates. I'm presuming TSL will open Memorial Day of 2018 and SWL on Memorial Day of 2019.

Attachments

• upload_2017-6-6_16-49-16.png
    upload_2017-6-6_16-49-16.png
    11 KB · Views: 253
  • upload_2017-6-6_16-52-41.png
    upload_2017-6-6_16-52-41.png
    12.2 KB · Views: 419
Last edited:

britain

And if you use the groundbreaking/demolition date to opening date, here's how the 'lands' compare...

View attachment 208572

Please let me know if any of the dates are wrong. It was hard to find some of the dates that were considered groundbreaking dates. I'm presuming TSL will open Memorial Day of 2018 and SWL on Memorial Day of 2019.

Throw in an "Announcement Date" column too.

And then add Haunted Mansion for kicks. :)

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
Throw in an "Announcement Date" column too.

And then add Haunted Mansion for kicks. :)

Announcement means very little. If you look at a project like Bay Lake Tower, it was almost completed before announcement was made. Does that mean the project was done any faster. No one knows how much planning, design, redesign, or actual construction was done before announcement date. I for one want Disney to do it right even if it takes more time than others.

Exomonia

View attachment 208572

I'm not sure of the Cars Land dates specifically, but it opened in 2012 (not groundbreaking in 2012). Just a heads up :)
Thanks for putting that together though, that's great!

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
A roller coaster can be thought up, designed, manufactured, shipped, installed, tested and opened in 18 - 24 months. Two years just for construction is slow.

While I won't argue Disney is quick, they did have to do a lot of demo first in DHS. It's not like they had an empty field to work with. If we used the dates from which the land was finally an empty dirt lot, it would take about six months off the timeline.

But then again, Universal also had to demo, too.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom