Upcoming/Rumored Projects

RSoxNo1

And I don't expect that he will, Come on this new 'Land' does not even have a restaurant TS or QS slated for it, Perhaps they plan to sell MRE's for the 'experience'... This is smelling like 'value engineering' at its worst, Just like the cutbacks in RoL.
The initial leak had a quick service restaurant in it. However, it seems that things have changed a bit since that leak as I'm hearing more favorable things about the boat ride.

PorterRedkey

The initial leak had a quick service restaurant in it. However, it seems that things have changed a bit since that leak as I'm hearing more favorable things about the boat ride.

Anything you can mention? If you can't say anything I understand. It is just good to hear positive things about the part of Avland I am most excited about.

RSoxNo1

Anything you can mention? If you can't say anything I understand. It is just good to hear positive things about the part of Avland I am most excited about.
I'd say is largely speculative at this point, but if you look in the Avatar sub forum, it seems that there is a drop in the boat ride. I don't think we were anticipating that.

I don't have anything definitive, other than I'm slightly more optimistic about the boat ride than I was before when all I knew about it was that it was a "C-ticket".

TP2000

I'd say is largely speculative at this point, but if you look in the Avatar sub forum, it seems that there is a drop in the boat ride. I don't think we were anticipating that.

I don't have anything definitive, other than I'm slightly more optimistic about the boat ride than I was before when all I knew about it was that it was a "C-ticket".

Maelstrom had a drop, and even in the 1980's I thought it was kind of lame. I wouldn't put too much stock into a drop.

PorterRedkey

Maelstrom had a drop, and even in the 1980's I thought it was kind of lame. I wouldn't put too much stock into a drop.

A Maelstrom type of drop is perfect. AK needs rides for the whole family and too big of drop might scare some families away. I image the Soarin' over Pandora ride will have a height limit (Soarin' is 40", I believe). Maelstrom had no height requirement.

Last edited:

PorterRedkey

It should be beautiful even without a drop, but it could make a nice finale for the ride. A small thrill to send you on your way. Very excited!

PorterRedkey

Is the drop on POTC in DL bigger then Maelsrom? That also has no height limit and a couple of small drops and a bigger one.

There was a discussion here about the height of the drops in Pirates at DL's. I believe the final consensus was that the tallest drop was around 15ft tall. I would say Maelstrom's drop was around that height as well.

Does anybody have the official numbers?

Prog

That could have worked a decade or two ago but now the head lines will be that Disney released a racist movie. Its to late I think
I assure you that the anti-"political correctness" crowd has grown large enough that Disney could pull it off as long as they made the context correct.

Dice50

Didn't want to start a new thread, thought this would fit in here since they are rumors and news to be. I was thinking about things we might finally learn the details of this year, could be pretty exciting:

Possible 2015 News/Major Announcements:

- Details of AvatarLand
- Details of Shanghai Disneyland
- Details of Frozen ride at Epcot
- StarWars Land announcements for DHS, DL

Possible 2016 News/Major Announcements:
- Tomorrowland revamp at DW/DL
- Epcot overhaul
- Random new E-ticket type rides at any of the parks around the world

Would love it if all that happened (and in 2015), guess we'll find out by the end of the year if all of that is wishful thinking or not

TP2000

There was a discussion here about the height of the drops in Pirates at DL's. I believe the final consensus was that the tallest drop was around 15ft tall. I would say Maelstrom's drop was around that height as well.

Does anybody have the official numbers?

From a couple excellent sources, here's the stats of the two drops at Disneyland's Pirates ride:

1st Drop: 52 Feet Long, Angle 21 Degrees
2nd Drop: 37 Feet Long, Angle 21 Degrees
Lift Hill: 90 Feet Long, Angle 16 Degrees

The only statistic I can find for the WDW's Pirates "drop" ("short slide" is a more appropriate term, really) is that it's 14 feet long. I can't find any stats on the angle, but my guess from riding is that it's maybe 10 to 12 degrees.

Dice50

Wow I never knew the DL POTC was so much more "intense" than the DW equivalent. Is the drop big enough at DL you have a seatbelt on for the ride?

TP2000

Wow I never knew the DL POTC was so much more "intense" than the DW equivalent. Is the drop big enough at DL you have a seatbelt on for the ride?

No, there's no seat belts. The 21 degree angle is just enough to be thrilling, yet mild enough to prevent seat belts and height requirements. That it happens in pitch blackness also adds to the thrill, while the second and smaller Disneyland drop is in the caverns and is dimly lit enough to see it coming.

The drop on Splash Mountain is 53 feet long, but it's at a 47 degree angle, much steeper than the Pirates drop of similar length. But there aren't seatbelts or lap bars on Splash Mt. either.

Last edited:

PorterRedkey

From a couple excellent sources, here's the stats of the two drops at Disneyland's Pirates ride:

1st Drop: 52 Feet Long, Angle 21 Degrees
2nd Drop: 37 Feet Long, Angle 21 Degrees
Lift Hill: 90 Feet Long, Angle 16 Degrees

The only statistic I can find for the WDW's Pirates "drop" ("short slide" is a more appropriate term, really) is that it's 14 feet long. I can't find any stats on the angle, but my guess from riding is that it's maybe 10 to 12 degrees.

Yes, but length is not height. The angle affects how high you start the drop. If the angle is 90 degrees you are going straight down, so a drop of 52 feet at 90 degrees would start at 52 feet and end at ground level (0 feet). So if you prop a 52 feet long board up at a 21 degree angle, how high off the ground is the top of the board?

Also, I have not ridden the DL version (1st trip in August!) and it sounds like you have ridden both. Is the DL version a lot higher than the WDW version?

TP2000

Also, I have not ridden the DL version (1st trip in August!) and it sounds like you have ridden both. Is the DL version a lot higher than the WDW version?

I'm not a mathematician, but my rear-end dynamometer tells me that the Disneyland version drops a lot more than the WDW version. Then there's the second drop that is shorter, but still has more of a kick than WDW's lone drop. I assume it's the steeper 21 degree angle that does it.

One of the things I love most about visiting the various Disney parks around the world is comparing/contrasting the differences. Make sure you hit all the Disneyland-exclusive rides, but also try going on the cloned rides that have noticeable differences, like Haunted Mansion, Small World, Jungle Cruise, Space Mountain, Tower of Terror, and most especially Pirates.

Interestingly, Tokyo Disneyland has a Pirates that's almost a direct clone of the Anaheim version, right down to the Blue Bayou restaurant inside. But due to the high water table of the Tokyo site, they had to go the WDW route and they have just one very gentle slide as their lone "drop".

Last edited:

PorterRedkey

I'm not a mathematician, but my rear-end dynamometer tells me that the Disneyland version drops a lot more than the WDW version. Then there's the second drop that is shorter, but still has more of a kick than WDW's lone drop. I assume it's the steeper 21 degree angle.

One of the things I love most about visiting the various Disney parks around the world is comparing/contrasting the differences. Make sure you hit all the Disneyland-exclusive rides, but also try going on the cloned rides that have noticeable differences, like Haunted Mansion, Small World, Jungle Cruise, Space Mountain, Tower of Terror, and most especially Pirates.

Interestingly, Tokyo Disneyland has a Pirates that's almost a direct clone of the Anaheim version, right down to the Blue Bayou restaurant inside. But due to the high water table of the Tokyo site, they had to go the WDW route and they have just one very gentle slide as their lone "drop".

That's awesome! I was excited by the two drops, instead of one, but if they are actually a little thrilling all the better. I feel like I could jump to the bottom of the WDW version's drop and still be okay.

We plan on staying for a week with 5 days at the parks. I plan on seeing every show, parade, ride there is. I am even riding the smaller attractions like Golden Zephyr and the canoes. I can't wait! It will be fun to compare attractions.

TP2000

We plan on staying for a week with 5 days at the parks. I plan on seeing every show, parade, ride there is. I am even riding the smaller attractions like Golden Zephyr and the canoes. I can't wait! It will be fun to compare attractions.

Fantastic. The Diamond Celebration summer is a great time to experience Disneyland for the first time. And the compare/contrast game with WDW will be fascinating for you, I'm sure.

Be sure to check out a couple helpful threads over in the Disneyland Forum here...

Guide to DLR for WDW Veterans
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/guide-to-dlr-for-wdw-veterans.875596/

The Official Explore Southern California Thread
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/the-official-explore-southern-california-thread.872243/

PorterRedkey

Fantastic. The Diamond Celebration summer is a great time to experience Disneyland for the first time. And the compare/contrast game with WDW will be fascinating for you, I'm sure.

Be sure to check out a couple helpful threads over in the Disneyland Forum here...

Guide to DLR for WDW Veterans
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/guide-to-dlr-for-wdw-veterans.875596/

The Official Explore Southern California Thread
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/the-official-explore-southern-california-thread.872243/

I thought it would be a good time, since all of the rides will be open and polished up for the 60th. Thanks for the links, I will definitely check them out!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom