Upcoming/Rumored Projects

ToInfinityAndBeyond

All true. I'd argue that MIB was in a much, much better place than Avatar as regards the properties zeitgeist and the rides construction. Avatar has fallen off the face of the earth, whereas people were looking forward to MIB2. My point is that a quality ride can endure a poor (Avatar) or outdated (MIB/Avatar) IP and still be a draw for years.

Ah, well I certainly agree with your point.

twebber55

Didn't know about the re-release. Incredibly curious as to know how it will perform. I'm guessing that could be a nasty shock for Disney. I also believe that a great ride can overcome a poor IP; but I'm not so sure that Splash mountain is such a great example. SM, for the most part, is essentially free of the burden of its IP (I only put the connection together last year) whereas Pandora it'll be explicit and fresh in the minds of the public. A better example would be MIB over in Universal.

All true. I'd argue that MIB was in a much, much better place than Avatar as regards the properties zeitgeist and the rides construction. Avatar has fallen off the face of the earth, whereas people were looking forward to MIB2. My point is that a quality ride can endure a poor (Avatar) or outdated (MIB/Avatar) IP and still be a draw for years.
is there a smidge of contradiction here?

msteel

The counter argument to this is Splash Mountain. This isn't even a movie that faded from the public view Disney actively suppressed it, yet Splash Mountain is still one of the most popular rides in MK. How many people who ride it even know what Song of the South is? If a attraction/land is well done it will stand the test of time even if it's IP doesn't.

My 6.5 year old son and I were watching a video of Splash Mountain the other day and he said something to the effect that they should make a movie with these characters. So I had to explain how in fact the ride was based in a movie but it isn't available anymore.

RSoxNo1

I have this on dvd , I can see why people wouldn't want it shown, esp Disney who want to cultivate a certain image. At the same time its something that should be preserved for future generations. Its a snap shot in history that's extremely important
I think they should rate it R and re-release it with a new introduction discussing the racial scenes in the movie to place them in context.

RSoxNo1

I haven't heard it yet, but apparently on the 3/27 Unofficial Guide's Disney Dish w/Jim Hill he mentioned a new Canada restaurant. The episode is behind a pay wall, and I'll likely listen to it tomorrow.

Has anyone else heard anything on this?

NiarrNDisney

I haven't heard it yet, but apparently on the 3/27 Unofficial Guide's Disney Dish w/Jim Hill he mentioned a new Canada restaurant. The episode is behind a pay wall, and I'll likely listen to it tomorrow.

Has anyone else heard anything on this?

Oooo maybe the Mouse has heard my ideas and now wants to implement them!

- CS spot in the old travel center bulding that serves B,L,D,S and especially Beaver Tails

- TS/Lounge in the old store complete with bar outdoor seating there own menu and a few items from Le Cellier

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
So many of us have been saying this as a primary defense for Avatar. I really don't think it's a bad fit thematically, but it's an odd pairing in general (Disney and Cameron). Having said that, if Avatar didn't exist and the announcement was that Disney and Cameron are teaming up for a mythical animal land, we would all be ecstatic. That's how I'm treating this. I don't have to be in love with Avatar for this land to impress me. I have very little doubt that the land will look incredible. What I fear is that the rides will underwhelm. We haven't seen Disney build a great land with great rides that anchor it in Florida under Bob Iger. He has not built an E-ticket in Florida.

And I don't expect that he will, Come on this new 'Land' does not even have a restaurant TS or QS slated for it, Perhaps they plan to sell MRE's for the 'experience'... This is smelling like 'value engineering' at its worst, Just like the cutbacks in RoL.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom