Upcoming/Rumored Projects

doctornick

'Clones' of any ride would be fine with me.

Not too many people around who would grouse, 'Oh, we've seen this already in Shanghai...or, Dang, we've ridden this during our last visit to Tokyo !'

I can understand the desire of people to limit cloning of rides between DLR and WDW -- there's a decent overlap of people who visit both parks and having distinct attractions can draw people to one that a guest hasn't experienced in the past (e.g. people going to DLR to check out Cars Land/RSR).

That said, I don't see any reason to hesitate with cloning rides from foreign parks at WDW, especially those in Asia.

Mike S

I can understand the desire of people to limit cloning of rides between DLR and WDW -- there's a decent overlap of people who visit both parks and having distinct attractions can draw people to one that a guest hasn't experienced in the past (e.g. people going to DLR to check out Cars Land/RSR).

That said, I don't see any reason to hesitate with cloning rides from foreign parks at WDW, especially those in Asia.
Don't forget Indiana Jones. Loved that when I was there :)

polynesiangirl

I am so undecided about this whole Avatar thing. The movie(s) interest me exactly not at all. I am guessing it will be visually appealing, but given that it takes an act of God to get stuff removed or updated these days, what is the situation going to be in 10, 20 years, if no one cares about Avatar by then?

I know that it's not like Disney's never had dated attractions (including some very close to my heart,) but...eeeeh. I don't know that this thing is going to age very well.

I sound like a doom-and-gloomer. I'm not, generally. Just...skeptical on this one. Prove me wrong, WDW.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I am so undecided about this whole Avatar thing. The movie(s) interest me exactly not at all. I am guessing it will be visually appealing, but given that it takes an act of God to get stuff removed or updated these days, what is the situation going to be in 10, 20 years, if no one cares about Avatar by then?

I know that it's not like Disney's never had dated attractions (including some very close to my heart,) but...eeeeh. I don't know that this thing is going to age very well.

I sound like a doom-and-gloomer. I'm not, generally. Just...skeptical on this one. Prove me wrong, WDW.

The counter argument to this is Splash Mountain. This isn't even a movie that faded from the public view Disney actively suppressed it, yet Splash Mountain is still one of the most popular rides in MK. How many people who ride it even know what Song of the South is? If a attraction/land is well done it will stand the test of time even if it's IP doesn't.

polynesiangirl

The counter argument to this is Splash Mountain. This isn't even a movie that faded from the public view Disney actively suppressed it, yet Splash Mountain is still one of the most popular rides in MK. How many people who ride it even know what Song of the South is? If a attraction/land is well done it will stand the test of time even if it's IP doesn't.

That is a good point indeed!

ParksAndPixels

In the Parks
Yes
Good thing is even if avatar doesn't stand test of time, I think pandora likely will and they can always use environment to tell new story if necessary...

Last edited:

dreamscometrue

Great example!

I actually think that Pandora at DAK might renew interest in the Avatar original and sequels. I think people with no interest in Avatar will visit the land while at DAK, and if it's well done as a land, might then decide to check out the movie(s). This is exactly what happened to my daughter and her husband, after visiting all the Harry Potter stuff at Universal. They had no interest in HP at all, but the attractions at the 2 parks there really piqued their interest, and they watched all the HP movies once home. I'm hoping a stunning Avatarland will do the same and generate buzz.

dreamscometrue

How many people who ride it even know what Song of the South is?

I know that's a rhetorical question, but I honestly think it's ridiculously low, like 1 in 500 or less. I've not spoken to even one friend or family member* who ever went on the ride, who knew what Song of the South was.

*not my immediate family; we know :)

RSoxNo1

So many of us have been saying this as a primary defense for Avatar. I really don't think it's a bad fit thematically, but it's an odd pairing in general (Disney and Cameron). Having said that, if Avatar didn't exist and the announcement was that Disney and Cameron are teaming up for a mythical animal land, we would all be ecstatic. That's how I'm treating this. I don't have to be in love with Avatar for this land to impress me. I have very little doubt that the land will look incredible. What I fear is that the rides will underwhelm. We haven't seen Disney build a great land with great rides that anchor it in Florida under Bob Iger. He has not built an E-ticket in Florida.

HeyCosmicChild

In
Seems like it would be easier/cheaper for them to build that into the MDE app. Although obviously not everyone would benefit from that as they would from the screens.
In Miami,FL That is the only way to get times for the next bus. It actually works pretty well so I think they should implement it into MDE

gljvd

Like Avatar or not your getting a rerelease with more footage of the original next year. 2017 you get Avatar 2 . 2018 you get avatar 3 , 2019 you get avatar 4. Yes that's right. Avatar 4. They are all being written at the same time and they will be shooting for all 3 at the same time . Worthington said filming for the 2nd starts in the fall of 2014 and the 3rd and 4th will be shot over the following year.

So we are going to see all 3 of these released even if they bomb the only difference will be that if part 2 bombs the budget for part 3 and 4 will be reduced. But if part 2 does alright then 3 and 4 wont be effected.

Avatar land should open in 2016. So you get Avatar land right at the start of this new wave of advertising for the ip. You get the re-release with additional footage the same year the land opens. Then you get a sequel each year to round out the decade. The advertising for these movies are going to be huge. People will flood animal kingdom to see the new land and people will flood the movies at least for the first sequel.

If they prove as successful or close to as successful as the first when Disney may have another star wars sitting in their parks

Padraig

Didn't know about the re-release. Incredibly curious as to know how it will perform. I'm guessing that could be a nasty shock for Disney. I also believe that a great ride can overcome a poor IP; but I'm not so sure that Splash mountain is such a great example. SM, for the most part, is essentially free of the burden of its IP (I only put the connection together last year) whereas Pandora it'll be explicit and fresh in the minds of the public. A better example would be MIB over in Universal.

Last edited:

twebber55

Didn't know about the re-release. Incredibly curious as to know how it will perform. I'm guessing that could be a nasty shock for Disney. I also believe that a great ride can overcome a poor IP; but I'm not so sure that Splash mountain is such a great example. SM, for the most part, is essentially free of the burden of its IP (I only put the connection together last year) whereas Pandora it'll be explicit and fresh in the minds of the public. A better example would be MIB over in Universal.
well we hear so often on this board how its already forgotten so i actually like the Splash MTn comparison....as far as MIB i just think its a much bigger deal than MIB

ToInfinityAndBeyond

MIB was still very fresh when the ride opened. The animated TV show was still going strong, the second movie was a couple of years away, and the ride itself was critically acclaimed. How is that relevant at all?

Padraig

MIB was still very fresh when the ride opened. The animated TV show was still going strong, the second movie was a couple of years away, and the ride itself was critically acclaimed. How is that relevant at all?

All true. I'd argue that MIB was in a much, much better place than Avatar as regards the properties zeitgeist and the rides construction. Avatar has fallen off the face of the earth, whereas people were looking forward to MIB2. My point is that a quality ride can endure a poor (Avatar) or outdated (MIB/Avatar) IP and still be a draw for years.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom