Upcoming/Rumored Projects

NelsonRD

Fortunately, I have the option of getting rid of the glasses. The bands at WDW these days, not so much. But, it's the brand that's magic....

Get rid of the glasses? How are you going to experience Transformers, Gringotts, Simpsons, Spiderman, and on and on, without the glasses? The glasses are the magic.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Get rid of the glasses? How are you going to experience Transformers, Gringotts, Simpsons, Spiderman, and on and on, without the glasses? The glasses are the magic.
No, I'd say the experiences and environments around those rides, particularly the HP ones, are what is to be enjoyed. And let's not sell WDW too short in the 3D field either. Even though disparaging Universal seems to be your primary function....

dstrawn9889

for people that really have a problem with 3D these really are a godsend. my wife cannot 3d anything because of the type of glasses she wears, and was left out of alot of things the last time we went home. so i am ordering these so that she can see Philharmagic, ITTBAB, Star Tours, TSMM, EO(SHE MISSED OUT IN THE 80S), muppets... should also help with my headaches when watching them

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
None of the recent new rides at Universal are thrill rides in the sense they are fast, extreme, etc

AND I'M HAPPY AT THAT - they're thrilling, exciting, cutting edge, just perfect - idon't do rollercoasters, etc

Their recently made rides ARE thrill rides. Harry Potter Forbidden Journey, Curse of Gringotts, Transformers, heck.. Even the projections on Spider Man were upgraded a while back.

A ride does not have to be a roller coaster to be a thrill ride. These rides are "extreme" and have the sense of feeling very fast.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Their recently made rides ARE thrill rides. Harry Potter Forbidden Journey, Curse of Gringotts, Transformers, heck.. Even the projections on Spider Man were upgraded a while back.

A ride does not have to be a roller coaster to be a thrill ride. These rides are "extreme" and have the sense of feeling very fast.

I think different people have different definition of thrill ride. I also don't consider these thrill ride.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
I think different people have different definition of thrill ride. I also don't consider these thrill ride.

Definitely. I consider them thrill rides, though. It's like saying Mission: Space isn't considered a thrill ride. Which, I guess to some people, it isn't.

lazyboy97o

for people that really have a problem with 3D these really are a godsend. my wife cannot 3d anything because of the type of glasses she wears, and was left out of alot of things the last time we went home. so i am ordering these so that she can see Philharmagic, ITTBAB, Star Tours, TSMM, EO(SHE MISSED OUT IN THE 80S), muppets... should also help with my headaches when watching them
I believe they will do nothing on Star Tours as it uses a different type of polarization.

JT3000

Spiderman and Simpsons are also the same experience. Blurry video, loud noise, and an impossible to follow 'just in time' storyline.

4K is the highest resolution currently available for mass consumption. If you find the picture on Universal's screen-based attractions blurry, you need to schedule an appointment with an optometrist.

And I follow their plots just fine. As another poster suggested, I think it's a personal problem.

NelsonRD

4K is the highest resolution currently available for mass consumption. If you find the picture on Universal's screen-based attractions blurry, you need to schedule an appointment with an optometrist.

And I follow their plots just fine. As another poster suggested, I think it's a personal problem.

First of all, blurriness is not caused by resolution. It is caused by scan rates and refresh rates.
Second, the last projection room I was in, was using Barco projectors, and I can assure you, it was not 4K.

RSoxNo1

There is still quite a bit of all action and no build up. For lack of a non-ironic metaphor, many attractions are the equivalent of revealing the shark from Jaws in scene one. As others have said on here, their reliance on screens is also beginning to be an issue. I'm not sure who had the quote, just that it wasn't me: They're turning into a one trick pony, the good thing is, it's an impressive trick.

So many of their attractions are, "put you in front of a screen shake you around." Personally, I think the genesis of these attractions, Spiderman, is the best of all of them.

With all that said, the emphasis on the importance of a linear story is exaggerated in theme park rides. I am far more interested in having a great experience than being told a great story. There are times when those don't have to be mutually exclusive (Splash Mountain is a great example), but there are other non-linear stories that are still great attractions. I'd argue that the linear story in Spiderman is better than Haunted Mansion, but I'm sure there are fanbois on here that find the Haunted Mansion to be a better attraction.

NelsonRD

There is still quite a bit of all action and no build up. For lack of a non-ironic metaphor, many attractions are the equivalent of revealing the shark from Jaws in scene one. As others have said on here, their reliance on screens is also beginning to be an issue. I'm not sure who had the quote, just that it wasn't me: They're turning into a one trick pony, the good thing is, it's an impressive trick.

So many of their attractions are, "put you in front of a screen shake you around." Personally, I think the genesis of these attractions, Spiderman, is the best of all of them.

With all that said, the emphasis on the importance of a linear story is exaggerated in theme park rides. I am far more interested in having a great experience than being told a great story. There are times when those don't have to be mutually exclusive (Splash Mountain is a great example), but there are other non-linear stories that are still great attractions. I'd argue that the linear story in Spiderman is better than Haunted Mansion, but I'm sure there are fanbois on here that find the Haunted Mansion to be a better attraction.

While I disagree that motion simulation rides are attractive, I do agree not all rides need a great story. Case in point, I enjoy kilimanjaro safari much better now without the Poaching angle.

RSoxNo1

While I disagree that motion simulation rides are attractive, I do agree not all rides need a great story. Case in point, I enjoy kilimanjaro safari much better now without the Poaching angle.
I did like the interjection of dialogue from Warden Wilson and Ms. Jobson, but mainly for nostalgia purposes. The components of the poaching story line didn't really work, I'd much rather see more animals like what's available now.

Does anyone know if the Imagination pavilion is getting it's long-needed refresh any time soon? I know there was quite a bit of rumors going on earlier this year that it was going to be closed over the summer, but I guess that never happened. With the top section closed and Captain EO gone, I beleive that we will see a refurb sometime in the 2015 season.

Haymarket2008

Does anyone know if the Imagination pavilion is getting it's long-needed refresh any time soon? I know there was quite a bit of rumors going on earlier this year that it was going to be closed over the summer, but I guess that never happened. With the top section closed and Captain EO gone, I beleive that we will see a refurb sometime in the 2015 season.

Captain EO is gone?? You sure? I think it is still there. But out of all of the rides at WDW I think Imagination is the one I'm most looking to getting refurbed. So I am just as curious.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom