Upcoming/Rumored Projects

MGMBoy

My family generally rents a car even when staying on property. We'll all drive over to a park together, hang out for a bit, then scatter and regroup for a dinner ADR. Love the flexibility of that option but the added cost can be a bit prohibitive.

KYmickey

What I'm specifically referring to is an elevated, automated people mover type system above traffic. These can be built to recognize "issues" on the track when they occur. Many systems have cutoffs in the tracks and smart logic where a train can be switched to a different track or go a different route if need be to bypass a stalled train or track issue.

I'm not anti-bus, nor necessarily pro-light rail, but I do think buses are an unexciting and ugly form of transportation at WDW. I think a fully automated system linking up most of the property would be a much more glamorous solution. Also, if you take in to consideration the traffic issues around Downtown Disney where there are a lot of cars and people mixing about, it's not the safest environment for a bus.

The problem with any type of tracked system, be it monorail, light rail, etc. is lack of flexibility. If a single vehicle breaks down it can backup the entire system. The only way to avoid that is install at least 2 tracks everyplace with multiple crossover switching locations. Doing that totally negates any potential savings. Buses, which I agree or not the best aesthetically pleasing option a much more flexible in routing options and I'm afraid the only thing we will be seeing in the future.

Bulldog1653

Hello all,

Most of you who know me know that I am a HUGE advocate of expanding the monorail. The buses might be helpful for people right now but it's a Band-Aid and not a permanent fix. Building the rail piers will have little impact on the overall landscaping (as opposed to something like a light rail train where you have to take out a major swath of land).
Here's something else to think about: the monorails have a much higher passenger capacity than any of the buses. If Disney was to add another couple of platforms at the TTC (Transportation and Ticket Center) with trains going to Animal Kingdom and Animal Kingdom Lodge (think about the way EPCOT's track is set up. It could be similar to that). There could be a monorail line that stops at the various resorts (1 train going to say the value resorts, 1 to the moderates, etc).
I briefly touched on environmental impact earlier. Monorail trains run on electric power and that means less emissions. Buses run on diesel fuel and it's NOT cheap to fill them up. I suspect that if monorails were expanded and the use of buses were either cut back or phased out completely that Disney could save a ton of money on operating costs. If that happened, it's possible that guests wouldn't see a drastic price increase every few years.

seascape

Hello all,

Most of you who know me know that I am a HUGE advocate of expanding the monorail. The buses might be helpful for people right now but it's a Band-Aid and not a permanent fix. Building the rail piers will have little impact on the overall landscaping (as opposed to something like a light rail train where you have to take out a major swath of land).
Here's something else to think about: the monorails have a much higher passenger capacity than any of the buses. If Disney was to add another couple of platforms at the TTC (Transportation and Ticket Center) with trains going to Animal Kingdom and Animal Kingdom Lodge (think about the way EPCOT's track is set up. It could be similar to that). There could be a monorail line that stops at the various resorts (1 train going to say the value resorts, 1 to the moderates, etc).
I briefly touched on environmental impact earlier. Monorail trains run on electric power and that means less emissions. Buses run on diesel fuel and it's NOT cheap to fill them up. I suspect that if monorails were expanded and the use of buses were either cut back or phased out completely that Disney could save a ton of money on operating costs. If that happened, it's possible that guests wouldn't see a drastic price increase every few years.
Natural gas is the way to power busses. They should just switch over from diesel. Same thing with the boats I hate the fumes.

jt04

Natural gas is the way to power busses. They should just switch over from diesel. Same thing with the boats I hate the fumes.

Hello all,

not possible to completely eliminate bussing, unless you replacement the smaller parts of the routes with peoplemovers... Lets face it.. a monorail stop for mini-golf isn't realistic.

So, this happened today......

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...-orlando-international-airport-267499611.html

The future will be amazing. :happy:

jt04

Could everyone please get back on topic - upcoming or rumored projects - rather than having a discussion about what YOU want in the future? Thank you.

There are rumors that this new project will connect to International Drive by maglev. So perhaps rumors of it also connecting to WDW someday are now not so far-fetched.

But I did also start a thread in Imagineering to cover all bases. Thanks.

PeterAlt

There are rumors that this new project will connect to International Drive by maglev. So perhaps rumors of it also connecting to WDW someday are now not so far-fetched.
I'm going to do The Mom a favor and start a monorail thread. I happen to agree this is not the thread for that. Had that had been me posting those posts, I would have been dealt the death penalty.

The new thread will be under General as "Monorails - because people can't stop talking about it!".

See you there!

TXDisney

Any rumors on more countries in epcot? I've read that there is room for 2 countries if they want to. Any truth to this? I thought Brazil and Australia would be cool additions.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Any rumors on more countries in epcot? I've read that there is room for 2 countries if they want to. Any truth to this? I thought Brazil and Australia would be cool additions.

There is actually room for many more then two, but although there have been a few vague rumors over the years, there has been nothing concrete.

TXDisney

Hopefully they add a couple countries than, if they have plenty of room for it. I also wish they kept the world showcase part of epcot open a little longer than right after the fireworks. I know they experimented with the "extra hours wind down" theme this spring, hopefully they make it year round. I'm going in 2 weeks and have heard they might be extending it, but not sure what days and all.

jdmdisney99

There's actually room for 8, if need be...
worldshowcase_sites.gif

Map from Yesterland.com

mm121

There's space for a bunch of countries, even more if that pavilion was removed that was intended to be temporary from the start.

The issue is they want some type of financial commitment/sponsors from the host countries.

There have been rumors about Brazil which would be appropriate since they have tons of Brazilian tourists.

Australia would also be great as it is a country and a continent.

mm121

Previous thread on this topic
New Countries / Attractions for World Showcase (Past Rumors/Announcements)

Officially theres space for 10 as the american pavillion is currently a triple space.

epcot-world-showcase-jpg.49243

If they truly wanted to get ambitious and add more, heres a plan I made that would allow for 7 additional new counties, making for 17 new countries, WOW that would be amazing and would make the showcase truly representative of the WORLD.
epcot-world-showcase-ultimate-jpg.49244

PeterAlt

I can now dispel the rumor about Star Wars Land coming to Toonstown at DL. I know this is WDW board, but sometimes what happens at one park is relevant to the other.

While at DL earlier in the week, I spoke with a CM there about the latest Star Wars Land rumors. He told me it definitely won't and can't come into where Toonstown is because of fireworks code. The code forces that area to close earlier. There are building height restrictions and the taller show buildings required can't be built there. Also, the current rock work there acts as a shield against fireworks that go astray.

With this rumor now debunked, this leaves the original rumor of Star Wars land coming into a rethemed Tomorrowland the only viable one for there. This leaves Star Wars Land as a a separate expansion for us at DHS still possible.

Also, after riding RSR at Carsland, let me say that cloning it here really isn't necessary. We have a full version of Splash Mountain and Test Test (a completely original ride) in its place. RSR would be a redundancy of similar types show elements, if it were brought here. I would prefer it if they cloned Indiana Jones, Alice in Wonderland, and their version of It's a Small World, rather than cloning RSR.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom