Upcoming/Rumored Projects

MDactor1980

which is the better service, cab or car?
and which is cheaper?
I honestly can't say I have compared the two. When we were down in January we had fantastic experience with City One Xpress Car Service. Their driver was friendly and helpful, and noted that if we use them for airport pick up they do a stop off at a grocery store on the way to your hotel for free. Will definitely use that next time!

Sorry to sound like a commercial, but we were pleased with them. Fast and efficient, and we never felt ripped off!

But as far as a cab, or comparison to other car services I can't definitively say. Their rate to/from the airport was cheaper than then another car service we used previously, but we haven't used any other Orlando cab service.

GrumpyFan

Interesting, but they did say 21 cars, 1500 passengers a day. WDW would probably need 3000+ cars, more to handle peaks. I wonder what that would cost?
It's possible to make the cars/pods bigger. There are similar systems around the world with bigger cars. I think it would be neat to have a mix of big and small pods with the smaller ones specially equipped for ECVs, wheel chairs and special needs access.

Mawg

It's possible to make the cars/pods bigger. There are similar systems around the world with bigger cars. I think it would be neat to have a mix of big and small pods with the smaller ones specially equipped for ECVs, wheel chairs and special needs access.
Yes, they could make them, well, maybe, the size of busses.
Then they would get rid of the bus driver completely and there would be no more rumors on these boards.

GrumpyFan

Yes, they could make them, well, maybe, the size of busses.
Then they would get rid of the bus driver completely and there would be no more rumors on these boards.

Bombardier makes just such a system they call an Automated People Mover. It's in wide use at many airports and cities around the world.

dstrawn9889

so if they have the capacity of buses, and you have to add infrastructure and right-of-ways... wouldn't it be more expedient to just run the buses instead?

Cesar R M

so if they have the capacity of buses, and you have to add infrastructure and right-of-ways... wouldn't it be more expedient to just run the buses instead?

you cant just keep throwing more and more buses.. some of the roads are already loaded, and some have only 2 lanes (one on each side).
they would have to expand the roads as well.

38053WDW

I think they need to stay with the futuristic theme. Sugar rush doesn't fit in tomorrowland. If they did like others have said add some lighting at night, design some new cars etc it's a fix that makes the ride fit better in the area and it doesn't seem out of place. I would like them to do something but it doesn't seem like they are anytime soon.

Take people mover to the next level around Magic Kingdom - change the sides to LED scenes .. as you go from land to land the sides change to reflect the land you are in ...

GrumpyFan

I suppose a single car would have the approximate capacity of a single bus, but the cars can be linked making a train of multiples. Yes, a system like this would require infrastructure additions, but it is significantly less than monorail infrastructure. Sure, it's more expedient to just keep adding and running buses, but the problem with buses is they must mix with cars on the road and traffic signals as well as drivers. An automated system that had its own "road" for transport would in the long run be much more efficient. I guess the big question would be whether in the long run a system like this would be less expensive to operate than buses. I would like to believe that it is, but I don't have the facts to back it up.

dstrawn9889

but now, with all routes established and all the roads around the resorts and parks themselves, adding a light rail in the equation would only be a token gesture. better to be would add more alt fueled buses and better routing algorithms... the bus system is far from efficient, but unless you arrive at your hotel pickup just as a bus is pulling out it is unlikely that you would wait more than ten minutes for a bus TO a park. light rail has its problems as well, because in a bus, if there is a backup (someone triggers a sensor for emerg stop, or a car is parked on the track) a bus can go around...

GrumpyFan

What I'm specifically referring to is an elevated, automated people mover type system above traffic. These can be built to recognize "issues" on the track when they occur. Many systems have cutoffs in the tracks and smart logic where a train can be switched to a different track or go a different route if need be to bypass a stalled train or track issue.

I'm not anti-bus, nor necessarily pro-light rail, but I do think buses are an unexciting and ugly form of transportation at WDW. I think a fully automated system linking up most of the property would be a much more glamorous solution. Also, if you take in to consideration the traffic issues around Downtown Disney where there are a lot of cars and people mixing about, it's not the safest environment for a bus.

dstrawn9889

all that needs to happen is restrict car traffic to certain roads, and run the buses through bus only roads. the transponders are already on the buses, just block off the needed roads/lanes for bus travel only, and the transponders to have the barriers raise/lower

GrumpyFan

That might work in some places, but not Downtown Disney (Springs) without some significant reconfiguration in a space that's already tight. Others would probably work, but I think they would need to build special roads and/or access ramps in some areas.

Unplugged

... the bus system is far from efficient, but unless you arrive at your hotel pickup just as a bus is pulling out it is unlikely that you would wait more than ten minutes for a bus TO a park.

First, I agree with your perspective that at this point the addition of light rail makes little sense unless the whole system were to be reworked, which we know makes little financial sense.

This reply is on bus wait. I'm not sure if you're always at the same resort or not, perhaps you're just lucky. I can say with absolute certainty that every vacation we've ever take has had numerous wait times of over 45 minutes. This doesn't trouble us as we are there to relax so it is what it is and we plan that into our travel times. Most often we stay at Wilderness Lodge and the park buses there can be nightmarish at times. We've arrived in the morning with no buses in sight, seen 3 buses for 1 park and none for the park we want on numerous occasions. Seriously, this is not an uncommon thing as we have friends at different resorts with similar experiences.

If we only had to wait 10 minutes for a bus to a park every time, it'd be a dream vacation! As it stands, we consider anything under a 15 minute wait lucky.

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.
First, I agree with your perspective that at this point the addition of light rail makes little sense unless the whole system were to be reworked, which we know makes little financial sense.

This reply is on bus wait. I'm not sure if you're always at the same resort or not, perhaps you're just lucky. I can say with absolute certainty that every vacation we've ever take has had numerous wait times of over 45 minutes. This doesn't trouble us as we are there to relax so it is what it is and we plan that into our travel times. Most often we stay at Wilderness Lodge and the park buses there can be nightmarish at times. We've arrived in the morning with no buses in sight, seen 3 buses for 1 park and none for the park we want on numerous occasions. Seriously, this is not an uncommon thing as we have friends at different resorts with similar experiences.

If we only had to wait 10 minutes for a bus to a park every time, it'd be a dream vacation! As it stands, we consider anything under a 15 minute wait lucky.

With you 100%. We have had very long waits, especially at CB even at the second stop with buses for all other parks coming multiple times and even a couple that were "too full" to load my wife in a wheelchair after a 40 minute plus wait to begin with.

Over the years we have found Disney transportation spotty and unreliable sometimes but in general pretty good with 15-20 minute waits at resorts and 10-15 minute waits at the parks. DTD has always been the worst especially from the BWI or YC/BC where it is absolutely horrendous and actually made us not want to go.

Unplugged

With you 100%. We have had very long waits, especially at CB even at the second stop with buses for all other parks coming multiple times and even a couple that were "too full" to load my wife in a wheelchair after a 40 minute plus wait to begin with.

Over the years we have found Disney transportation spotty and unreliable sometimes but in general pretty good with 15-20 minute waits at resorts and 10-15 minute waits at the parks. DTD has always been the worst especially from the BWI or YC/BC where it is absolutely horrendous and actually made us not want to go.

We've had to catch the bus at YC/BC a few times due to dinner ADR's at Yachtsman or such. Considering we're rarely there, we are 100% always getting 45-60 minute waits. I understand an occasional wait, but by now they should stop quoting the (attempted) practice of 20 minutes as it's rarely the case.

dstrawn9889

and that was at an all star. 10-12 for POR the trip before

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom