Upcoming/Rumored Projects

danlb_2000

Premium Member
was just looking around last night, and its kind of crazy how hemmed in the pars are by roads/resorts, etc. with all the land that existed in the beginning its surprising that they let this happen since that was the exact problem walt had with DisneyLand

In terms of a Studios expansion, not sure where they'd put it.. but one feasible option would be to expand the park border which could be done quite easily on the south side simply by relocating the toll booth

The problem with expanding south is that the majority of the land between the park and Osceola is considered unsuitable for construction. Same problem to the east of the park, but there is a large plot of suitable land across world drive to the west.

If they wanted to do a large expansion of DHS I think the best option would be add parking garages and expand out into the current parking.

mm121

The problem with expanding south is that the majority of the land between the park and Osceola is considered unsuitable for construction. Same problem to the east of the park, but there is a large plot of suitable land across world drive to the west.

If they wanted to do a large expansion of DHS I think the best option would be add parking garages and expand out into the current parking.

In a dream world rather than building parking garages at the individual parks, some time of centralized mega parking center with some type of trains/PRT would then connect these garages to the individual parks.. making it easier to start the day at one park and finish at a different park without then having to figure out how to get back to where your car is. Granted this doesn't affect those staying on property.

It would also speed up and simplify the park hopping process to one type of transit other than busses of course.

cmarten

In a dream world rather than building parking garages at the individual parks, some time of centralized mega parking center with some type of trains/PRT would then connect these garages to the individual parks.. making it easier to start the day at one park and finish at a different park without then having to figure out how to get back to where your car is. Granted this doesn't affect those staying on property.

When I was reading that my mind flashed by to the original design of EPCOT. Except instead of going to the center you would be going out to the parks

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member

It would also speed up and simplify the park hopping process to one type of transit other than busses of course.

I think that was the plan with the orginial Trans hub for Magic Kingdom, but when building Epcot it became improssible to handle that many people at one location at one time. Getting people from the cars to the ticketing windows would be a hugh problem.

psherman42

I once heard a rumor that Disney was going to be building a new entrance for Studios either on Victory Way or Osceola Parkway involving a new bigger, parking lot and the current lot would be Star Wars Land. However, given the source and how many rumors circulate, I do not believe it. Although I wish it were true.

jt04

This.

mm121

if theres a will theres usually a way to make land buildable. I mean in the beginning most of wdw was basically a swamp and look at it now.

I think that was the plan with the orginial Trans hub for Magic Kingdom, but when building Epcot it became improssible to handle that many people at one location at one time. Getting people from the cars to the ticketing windows would be a hugh problem.

a hub would work in addition to the current lots at the parks, but i agree it wouldn't work as a replacement for.

it works at universal to have all the parking together since the attractions are still within walking distance it would be a nightmare if they had to put everyone onto some type of train.

The only way a hub system would work would be to use some type of PRT system as that wouldn't require seperate platforms for each destination and would enable a super flexible system vs the fixed system of monorails the PRT cars would only need to stop at the destinations not all the intermediate stops.

I once heard a rumor that Disney was going to be building a new entrance for Studios either on Victory Way or Osceola Parkway involving a new bigger, parking lot and the current lot would be Star Wars Land. However, given the source and how many rumors circulate, I do not believe it. Although I wish it were true.

it would seem odd to have the entrance off of osceola since that would bypass some of the "feel" of being on property driving on world drive and seeing all the signs and stuff.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
if theres a will theres usually a way to make land buildable. I mean in the beginning most of wdw was basically a swamp and look at it now.

True, but it's something they will likely avoid unless they have no other option. If you look at the plans for the new laundry facility you can see how the access roads takes a fairly circuitous route to avoid going into wetlands.

Skibum1970

I heard two rumors today that were somewhat interesting:
1. The aviary in Pangani Forest is in rough shape and will go down for a refurbishment soon
2. Disney is training macaws to fly around the Tree of Life and return to a designated area

Has anyone else heard either of these rumors? If the second one is true, I wonder if it is at all related to the nighttime show.

They probably need to train them not to fly to Universal Studios to see all the new stuff.

Just kidding. It was the first thought that came to mind. Interesting about the macaws. I think that it would add to some of what Disney is trying at Animal Kingdom by trying to make it seem like the animals are more free-range.

Talking about training animals. I was on the safari ride a couple weeks ago and an elephant went down. A young elephant came running over and the driver started wondering, on the radio, if he should notify animal services. The elephant returned to its feet a few moments later. I wondered if maybe they had trained it to do so. Probably, it was just enjoying a break.

PeterAlt

Wait, you want discussion parameters now?
:cool:
1. Discussion may include Star Wars developments at Disneyland, specifically the the rumored Star Wars themed makeover of Tomorrowland.

2. Discussion may include news and developments of the new trilogy and how these new developments could be used within the rumored DHS Stat Wars Land.

3. Discussion should emphasize discussion about any new developing details and news or rumors of said.

4. Star Tours (or anything Star Wars) news, developments, and rumors at the foreign parks (especially DLP and TDL) shall be included in conversation.

5. Buried monorail footings on Tatooine shall not be included in thread discussion; however, a completely new thread topic shall be created for the multiple possible dimensions of expansive subject discussion material there is "out there" to talk about.

PeterAlt

Wouldn't a retheme of the astro orbiter and people movie co-inside better with the tomorrowland movie then a star wars retheme?
What about putting a spinner inside CoP? The spinner would be themed as a Tatooine landspeeder. The outer interior walls would have a a CircleVision projection on them racing the opposite direction of the movement of the spinner to make it seem you are moving faster. A new inner wall around the current stage would be constructed and have an inverted CircleVision projection to match the outer wall projection. The ceiling can have a projection to make it look like the Tatooine sky. The floor can be made to look sandy like the Tatooine surface. The spinner would have simulator elements, making the ride bumpy in places where the surface is rocky.

That's an awesome idea!!!!!

VitaminjTX

What about putting a spinner inside CoP? The spinner would be themed as a Tatooine landspeeder. The outer interior walls would have a a CircleVision projection on them racing the opposite direction of the movement of the spinner to make it seem you are moving faster. A new inner wall around the current stage would be constructed and have an inverted CircleVision projection to match the outer wall projection. The ceiling can have a projection to make it look like the Tatooine sky. The floor can be made to look sandy like the Tatooine surface. The spinner would have simulator elements, making the ride bumpy in places where the surface is rocky.

That's an awesome idea!!!!!

It is a good idea but now I cant get "There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow" out of my head.

doctornick

Could the lengthy closure of the PeopleMover and Astro Orbiter in May signal a bit of Star Wars theming?

Is there any chance of getting some (small amount of) light in the Space Mountain portion of the TTA? I don't understand why it needs to be pitch black there.

Mondo Mouse

was just looking around last night, and its kind of crazy how hemmed in the pars are by roads/resorts, etc. with all the land that existed in the beginning its surprising that they let this happen since that was the exact problem walt had with DisneyLand

In terms of a Studios expansion, not sure where they'd put it.. but one feasible option would be to expand the park border which could be done quite easily on the south side simply by relocating the toll booth

SERIOUSLY!
I wish there was were usable land around DHS for an expansion.

dstrawn9889

SERIOUSLY!
I wish there was were usable land around DHS for an expansion.
you mean other than the huge tracts of asphalt around the east of the park?

seriously, a huge parking deck across world drive for parking and tram them across to the entrance... they dont require as much parking as DS, do they?

dstrawn9889

you mean other than the huge tracts of asphalt around the east of the park?

seriously, a huge parking deck across world drive for parking and tram them across to the entrance... they dont require as much parking as DS, do they?
by google earth pictures and a SWAG(scientific wild-assed guess) 2 cars per slot, 70 slots per row, ~50 rows--- 7000 cars on pavement, give or take

Unplugged

by google earth pictures and a SWAG(scientific wild-assed guess) 2 cars per slot, 70 slots per row, ~50 rows--- 7000 cars on pavement, give or take
Good estimates on vehicle capacity. I think an easier way to estimate the gained space from garage verse asphalt is to consider the number of levels in the garages going in at DS. I think it's 3, may be 4 including the top deck. But take the area of the parking lot and divide by half for 2 levels, divide by 4 for 4 levels. A minimal amount of space for ramps and entries. Using that rough method, you can see how a 4 levels (including ground) would free up space almost equal to 50% of the current park size give or take. When I say park size, I'm talking guest accessible space, not all the western side Animation & CM buildings.

So contrary to popular belief, they have plenty of options if they have ideas that will bring in the money to justify the construction costs.

New_DHS_zps416083a0.png

WDWFREAK53

...and where do people park while the garages are being constructed?

I do agree that you'd free up a ton of space by building garages.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom