Upcoming/Rumored Projects

twebber55

I'll believe it when I see construction pictures. I just can't believe it would take 2 YEARS to start construction... IMHO they should not announce things until construction has begun. (cough Hyperion Wharf cough)
i agree that seems like a long time but i imagine it takes a long time to come with plans /design ...so maybe 2 years to plan and 3 for actual construction..i do agree with you it seems like a long time

themonkeyisthesultan

I think they only made the announcement about Avatar when they did because James Cameron is a very recognizable man and he was about to tour Animal Kingdom with very recognizable Disney higher ups. People probably would have pressed for an explanation if one hadn't been provided. The announcement and Cameron's tour of the park occurred very close to each other.
I don't think the timing is too out of whack given the early stage the announcement was given at and the egos involved.

Pixiedustmaker

7DMT is cool single ride but it isn't competitive. Avatarland is essentially a vague idea mentioned now years ago of a way to waste a ton of capital on a movie people have forgotten about. Carsland is in DCA and nothing has been announced for WDW.

It's hard to figure out what 7DMT is trying to be. We've already got a mine train ride, and 7DMT doesn't have enough dark scenes to qualify as a dark ride. 7DMT is almost like they designed a smallish swinging mine train coaster and then somebody asked them to add in the Dwarfs so they changed a mine scene to have dwarfs and put in Snow White's cottage at the end.

For the price and time of construction, I don't get why they didn't just go all the way and add something like 10 dark ride scenes, that would have blown people's minds! They could have had the mine train travel to the expansion pad behind ETwB/Belle's Village-Gaston's where they could have put a showbuilding to house the scenes. Splash seems to have a fair number of show scenes, seems like in Fantasyland you'd want to push storytelling to the max. It seems that 7DMT just has the dwarfs in the mountain, and then Snow White in front of a cottage. So, the ride will rely on landscaping and thrills, but they seem kinda tame . . . can't see adults making this a must see attraction like Splash, can't see little kids making this a must-see attraction like Pooh/Peter Pan, maybe a narrow age range of 8 to 10 year old boys will call this their must-see attraction . . .

ctxak98

Does anyone know when Rainforest Café volcano will be complete!??! it looks to be almost finished in the pictures and that was like 2 months ago!

misterID

I think they only made the announcement about Avatar when they did because James Cameron is a very recognizable man and he was about to tour Animal Kingdom with very recognizable Disney higher ups. People probably would have pressed for an explanation if one hadn't been provided. The announcement and Cameron's tour of the park occurred very close to each other.
I don't think the timing is too out of whack given the early stage the announcement was given at and the egos involved.

I think they rushed to announce Avatar for two reasons: 1) Harry Potter's success blindsided them. 2) They were not expecting the backlash from D23 from the lack of WDW projects. It's the first time I've ever seen the official blog stop deleting negative posts and comments because they just couldn't keep up with the number of complaints. Staggs had to make a statement that WDW was getting some big projects in the future that they couldn't comment on yet and he understood the anger and disappointment.

Again, I never saw that before, either.

afar28

Well this doesn't look to good. Barely anything worthwhile coming. If Carsland is announced, we have a few years (with TDO's pace probably much longer than it needs to be) until it arrives. So nothing is really on the horizon besides the mine train before 2016. Sad

Lexxweb

Am I the only one that's completely content with what we already have? I don't need a new E-Ticket every year. It should be several years in between each E-Ticket, so when it comes it feels special. Disney already has a ton of classic attractions with re-ride value, and a lot of them have had advancements made in the past few years to keep them fresh and modern.
Personally, I like Disney's approach vs. Universal's. Universal has been opening up major attractions left and right, and they still have another big one coming. I'm not even all that excited about Transformers. It is what it is. It's very easy to become over-saturated with new attractions. Too much of a good thing makes you lose sight of everything that already exists. WDW is already an amazing resort, we'll always be getting new things. I'm just enjoying them as they come, because when they do it means something. It's not every year, and Disney does a great job at making a big deal out of everything (I mean that in a good way).

BrianLo

I don't need a new E-Ticket every year.

No certainly not, but each park needs a really good attraction every 4-5 years to stay fresh (along with proper refurbishments, upgrades, minor attractions and refreshing shows). That's not unreasonable at all for the industry.

In this case though WDW has 4 parks not 1 - but they feel the need to budget and operate like they are just dealing with 1. That suddenly means a park runs 16-20 years without a major attraction and starts falling behind on proper upkeep, upgrades etc. etc. That is the unacceptable problem.

It's also the reason a 5th park is a horrible idea until they change their mentality and fix the current parks they have, but that's an aside...

PhotoDave219

On w d w n e w s t o d a y they posted a photo update about MK and said that is was rumored a pirates themed restaurant could go to Adventureland.... hmmmm

OOOOOOOooooo a "photo update".... how journalistically groundbreaking! I'm sure the New York Times will be knocking at their door for the exclusive.
/sarcasm
/realmediadoesntgivea(Pooh!)
/wealreadyhavetortugatavern
/disneywontspendthemoney
/thisrumorshasbeenaroundforyears

Timothy_Q

Am I the only one that's completely content with what we already have? I don't need a new E-Ticket every year. It should be several years in between each E-Ticket, so when it comes it feels special. Disney already has a ton of classic attractions with re-ride value, and a lot of them have had advancements made in the past few years to keep them fresh and modern.
Personally, I like Disney's approach vs. Universal's. Universal has been opening up major attractions left and right, and they still have another big one coming. I'm not even all that excited about Transformers. It is what it is. It's very easy to become over-saturated with new attractions. Too much of a good thing makes you lose sight of everything that already exists. WDW is already an amazing resort, we'll always be getting new things. I'm just enjoying them as they come, because when they do it means something. It's not every year, and Disney does a great job at making a big deal out of everything (I mean that in a good way).

No, we don't need new E-tickets every year. As long as the attractions we have are still relevant, up-to-date and in good conditions. That is definitely not the case. Especially with Epcot.

RSoxNo1

The thing is, building E-tickets still results in sustained attendance growth. Disney had a trend of new E-tickets every 3.75 years to grow attendance at the parks. That seems to have shifted to larger land expansions every 4-5 years. It's hard to tell at this point whether it's a true shift in philosophy or a belief that substantial growth is no longer possible.

Conversely, Universal's build cycle has obviously been more agressive of late (after years of standing pat)

December 23: Disaster! (Upgrade over Earthquake)

May 15: The Simpsons Ride (Upgrade over Back to the Future)

August 19: Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit (New Attraction)

June 18: Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey (New Attraction)

June 9: Despicable Me: Minion Mayhem (Upgrade over Jimmy Neutron's Nicktoon Blast)

May/June: Transformers The Ride 3-D (New Attraction)

2014/2015
Wizarding World of Harry Potter Phase 2 (2+ New Attractions, Upgrade over Jaws)

For Disney fans, this is discouraging simply because for every year except 2011 (and possibly 2014 depending on construction times), Universal has opened a new D/E ticket, whether it be an upgrade or a new attraction. Comparatively, Disney's build cycle looks like this:

May 5: Soarin' (New Attraction, Significant upgrade over Food Rocks)
May 5: Lights, Motors, Action (New show, upgrade over Residential Street)

January 26: Expedition Everest (New Attraction)

May 31: Toy Story Midway Mania (Upgrade over Who Wants to be a Millionaire)

May 20: Star Tours: The Adventures Continue (Upgrade over Star Tours)

October 12: Under the Sea: Journey of the Little Mermaid (New Attraction, upgrade over 20K Leagues Under the Sea)

Seven Dwarfs Mine Train

2016/2017
World of Avatar

When the quantity and quality of attractions is compared, and the aggressiveness of the building is assessed, Disney is significantly behind. Since Expedition Everest opened, Universal has opened 6 of the next 9 attractions across the two parks (counting Transformers later this year). What's even more telling is how these 9 attractions stack up against each other.

Having said all that, Carsland as we know it isn't the answer. As awesome as Carsland is, it's simply not the answer in Florida. The Monster's Inc Coaster would be a good start, The Project Morpho simulator and boat ride could also be solid answers. The biggest thing though is that Disney needs to build things that guests haven't seen before.

misterID

Carsland would be good to a certain extent. Even though people hate to hear it, it will attract a bunch of guests who will never go to California and attract locals (imagine that?).

But you're right, originality would go a long way. If they opened Avatarland AND a Mysterious Island/Beastly Kingdom hybrid they once planned, it would be a game changer for Animal Kingdom, imo.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom