Upcoming/Rumored Projects

epcotWSC

Many thanks for the list :). I agree with some here, it doesn't seem like there's a lot going on right now. A few rumored projects that I've been reading about here for a few years and that's about it. Hopefully the Monsters Inc coaster gets a push after Monsters University comes out.

djkidkaz

These are "nice little additions" given that they are the entire potential for what will likely come this decade. I don't even view these projects as "additions" as much as "taking care of unfinished business". All Avatarland and Carsland will do it make those parks (hopefully) worthy of their ticket price, and perhaps make those parks full days to every guest. DIsney Springs will be a decade overdue once complete, since TDO decided to prematurely kill PI, and allow Downtown Disney to deteriorate. 7DMT is simply making an expensive expansion worthy of mentioning beyond "Wow, this looks nice..."

Just my opinion.

I think why MK does so well is that it has enough E-Tickets to soak up a majority of the guests that even if you don't want to wait in line for those, there are plenty of smaller attractions you can ride to make yourself feel like you've actually done something. At Studios, you have TSMM, Tower and RNR all with huge waits, your not left with many options besides shows. Same problem at AK, with Everest and Safari having long waits, your left with very few options.

Take for example, Disney adding Soarin 2.0 to Avatar, which we know will have long waits with Everest and Safari. Basically that just adds that C-Ticket boat ride to the list of smaller options to do. The problem arises in the fact that building a new E-Ticket just brings more guests to that park thus keeping the long waits that are already there.

What Disney really needs to do is add a bunch of smaller attractions to AK, Studios and Epcot. We need more Maelstroms, Living with the Lands, Peoplemovers, etc. Definitely give us our E-Tickets, but you have to add atleast two C or D Ticket attractions to go along with it. This is what they did with Carsland in DCA, so Im hoping that we get what is rumored, which is Carsland, Maters Junkyard jamboree and the Monsters Inc Coaster to replace Luigis which has horrible waits.

MerlinTheGoat

Speaking of which, is there any news on the Cars Land expansion besides what has already been discussed months ago? Updates about whether it's more or less likely to happen at this point I mean.

Fox&Hound

Whoa, I definitely don't think we need another "maelstrom"- talk about a really weird, outdated ride.

But I totally know what you mean. I looooooove WDW and have grown up going there. And when I go to Magic Kingdom I find so much to do and enjoy. Once I get to the other parks (Studios, EPCOT, and Animal Kingdom) I always feel like there's not as much to do besides walk around.

In my dream world they'd announce Carsland or Pixar expansion to Hollywood Studios (and do the rumored Tangled show) while also announcing a new project for Animal Kingdom (I can't say I'm thrilled about Avatar but at least it would be something). I'd love to see them grow Holloywood Studios and Animal Kingdom in stages. Stage 2 being adding Star Wars to the Studios and maybe some mythical animal rides to Animal Kingdom.

I feel like Disney has the captial to add to their parks and blow the guests away and at a much faster pace than they are currently operating. Why does it seem like things are in stagnation???? Is it the almighty dollar or do they feel like people will come no matter what???

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Does anyone know how the construction progress is coming along with the Four Seasons resort? Haven't seen updates (at least picture ones) on it in since concept art for this came out and since we're mentioning WDW upcoming/rumored projects here, figured I'd ask. At least I found this article on the resort: http://latteluxurynews.com/2013/02/14/four-seasons-orlando/
The building itself is topped out, but is still a basic structure without any of the exterior facades etc. Progress is fairly similar on the outside to the new GF DVC wing.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I wouldn't call 7DMT, Avatarland, Disney Springs (as described by Spirit and others) or Carsland/Pixar 'Land' "nice little additions". Except for the former, which is likely still an expensive, wonderfully themed family coaster, the other 3 projects would each likely be several hundred million dollars. Just sayin' :)
Errr.... The train will be a nice D. Opens next year. Avatar is still not green. DTD is a messy repair of a mistake that will take a long time to complete and may not be the "fix" that's needed, and Carsland is neither green nor near.

Meantime you can ride Transofrmers, Antartica, Gringotts (just wait!), Hogworts and Amber Mine whilst Space Mountain, Tomorrowland, Futureworld, Kali, Dinosaur, Everest etc. etc. etc. continue to crumble...

RunnerEd

Seems like it would be easier/cheaper for them to build that into the MDE app. Although obviously not everyone would benefit from that as they would from the screens.

A large part of my job involves using GIS (GeoSpatial Information Systems). While I don't work with the type of applications that WDW would require, I work with very similar ones. You are entirely correct that buses/boats/monorails can easily be tracked in real time along with near real time estimated times of arrival for their destinations. Further, this can be served in a "device agnostic" manner that will display easily on any device from a desktop computer to an IOS/Windows/Android phone or tablet. I truly hope this is the way forward for Disney transportation since the tech is not that complex or, for a place like Disney, expensive (easily <$10,000 for start up if contracted and < $3000 per year after that). However, I fear that they will go cheap and stupid like they seem so fond of doing.

doctornick

What Disney really needs to do is add a bunch of smaller attractions to AK, Studios and Epcot. We need more Maelstroms, Living with the Lands, Peoplemovers, etc. Definitely give us our E-Tickets, but you have to add atleast two C or D Ticket attractions to go along with it. This is what they did with Carsland in DCA, so Im hoping that we get what is rumored, which is Carsland, Maters Junkyard jamboree and the Monsters Inc Coaster to replace Luigis which has horrible waits.

Agree, although less necessary with Epcot than with the other two (because the World Showcase tends to gobble up people well without rides per se). All the parks except for MK need generic "stuff to do" more than singular E-tickets.

doctornick

So, the OP list is depressing. What is crazy is that nothing of substance has been planned in the past 1-2 years. You had the Avatar announcement but no follow up/construction. TDO has four theme parks and literally has not started building any new attractions in the last 18 months or so (I guess the Jack Sparrow thing in DHS was the most recent attraction to begin construction, right?).

That's just unbelievable. How can there not be something being planned to open in the 2014-15 timeframe except for the 7DMT. Is there anything to look forward after the second half of 2014? We are realistically looking at 2016 as the absolute earliest to get Cars Land/the door coaster or Pandora and even that would require a much quicker build schedule than Disney has done in recent years. How could they not approve and start building something in the second half of 2012?

bubbles1812

I wouldn't call 7DMT, Avatarland, Disney Springs (as described by Spirit and others) or Carsland/Pixar 'Land' "nice little additions". Except for the former, which is likely still an expensive, wonderfully themed family coaster, the other 3 projects would each likely be several hundred million dollars. Just sayin' :)
You do realize that the two actual big projects you just listed aren't even guaranteed? No not even an announced project like Avatar.. We've all seen how announced projects can turn out or rather not. And Carsland is nothing more than a rumor right now. Obviously we've learned from insiders that it is being talked about but there hasn't been an official announcement. There really hasn't been any movement in weeks. And at the earlie

Your right that 7DMT will probably be a nice family coaster. But that's all it is. It's most likely going to turn out somewhere below Big Thunder, albeit nicely themed. But it's nothing jaw dropping and nothing that will bring people in droves to see. NFE as a whole isn't even doing that.

Also, even if they both do come, which is a big if, they are at the earliest 5 years away given how slow Disney builds. Your post seems naive. But dreams do come true... TDO got their bonuses this year after all.

dreamscometrue

You do realize that the two actual big projects you just listed aren't even guaranteed?
Your post seems naive.

I do realize that, and my post isn't at all naive.

Steve gave his list of upcoming/rumored projects, Martin commented on his take on the list, and I disagreed with Martin's comment. That's about it.

Goofnut1980

oh how i love the rumor-mill... I can't even think about projects until they are in motion. No sense in anyone getting bent out of shape over a rumor... JMO

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom