Upcoming AK character changes

drew81

Original Poster
There will be several character changes coming to DAK in the next month or so.

-Pocahontas will be leaving for good.

Rumored to be leaving:
King Louie, Baloo, Miss Bunny and Thumper. Again, those are rumored and not for certain.

mm52200

Wait seriously, they're getting rid of Pocahontas altogether??? I'm sorry but she is an official Disney princess, seems to be semi popular...I guess she'll still be at DHS for Fantasmic but that's just sad.

ToTBellHop

Who is left? The Fab Five and Dug?

I realize the parks are run separately, but it seems foolish to continually build more M&Gs at the other parks while AK has an almost weekly removal of characters. Are they hoping to turn it into a quarter-day park before they spend a fortune on Avatar to make it a full-day park?

MarkTwain

You'd think Disney would want more characters in Animal Kingdom. :shrug: More characters = a relatively quick and easy way to get people to spend more of their day in lines, and not leaving the park early / demanding new attractions.

mm52200

You know I'm starting to wonder who exactly is the entertainment manager at DAK because all they've done in the past year, year and a half, is remove things. They removed Terk, Lilo, Stitch, Jiminy Cricket, now both Pocahontas's(one in RPW and CMM), Flik, possibly King Louie, Baloo, Thumper, and Miss Bunny. Also haven't a couple of music groups left without replacements? I have a personal bias because Pocahontas is my favorite character...but there comes a point that when you take so many entertainment opportunities away from a park it really is a half day park. The only way my family could spend a day at DAK was if we took the time to meet characters. Yes they've added Dug and Russell, but that one addition really doesn't outweigh all of the other cuts being made to DAK. Really disapointing.

lazyboy97o

You'd think Disney would want more characters in Animal Kingdom. :shrug: More characters = a relatively quick and easy way to get people to spend more of their day in lines, and not leaving the park early / demanding new attractions.
I wonder if character shifts at Disney's Animal Kingdom are shorter or demand a slightly higher wage due to the park's greater overall humidity.

RWilliams

Premium Member
wow. So if this comes to pass we'll have: Pooh, Tigger, Eeyore, Russel, Dug, Mickey, Minnie, Pluto, Goofy, the chipmunks, Rafiki, and Daisy (for an hour). As well as the occasional Br'er appearance. Does Timon still show up in the oasis in the mornings? I would guess that Meeko is getting the chop along with Pocahontas?

RWilliams

Premium Member
I wonder if character shifts at Disney's Animal Kingdom are shorter or demand a slightly higher wage due to the park's greater overall humidity.

The wage isn't higher at Animal Kingdom. The overall shift lengths are shorter due to the shorter operating hours at AK but the sets are done exactly as they are at the other parks.

asianway

But aside from Rafiki, they are all outside which means 20 minute summer sets have a greater effect on the entertainment budget.

jjharvpro

Something is going on at Animal Kingdom, something behind the scenes. Like many have said, you look at the Park two years ago and then now, just see the amount of character M & G's/entertainment that have been discontinued. This is just plain strange. Of all WDW Parks, wouldn't they want more characters here to draw crowds??? :shrug:

I remember, not even 5 years ago, when one could M & G with Ratcliffe (the villain from Pocahontas) right inside DAK turnstiles..

The Empress Lilly

wow. So if this comes to pass we'll have: Pooh, Tigger, Eeyore, Russel, Dug, Mickey, Minnie, Pluto, Goofy, the chipmunks, Rafiki, and Daisy (for an hour).
Bah!

Poo and crew and the Fab Five one can see everywhere else. And they don't really have a 'DAK feel' about them anyway.

Pocahontas felt naturally at home in CMM, with it's North American foliage. Sad to see her go. She's cool, a princess who doesn't have to run around in a precious pinky princessy evening gown all of the time.

I wish they would bring back her show too.

Rescue Ranger

Pocahontas :mad:

Is Divine still there or are they gonna get rid of her too? Who wants to just see the same "main" characters in every park over and over. Thats no fun. Where is the magic in that.

One of greatest aspects of meet and greets is getting to meet the characters you do not get to see on a regular basis. Its a highlight of every trip to try and get as many unique characters photo ops as possible. Now, they are taking that all away and it makes absolutely no sense at all to me as to why they would do this. Disney has such a diverse, wide range of characters that should be showcased and yet hardly any of them are ever seen.

There should be the regulars yes, as well as the "main" cast of characters. But, with so many hundreds and hundreds of Disney characters, there should be a daily rotation so when you show up at the park lets say every day of the week, you will never know who you may just meet!!! Very sad.

JimboJones123

Is this part of weening guests off M&Gs all together?

With all the fussing on expenses of these things, maybe they just aren't pulling their weight?

I would be fine with less M&Gs. I wouldn't be surprised if this is another step in over-FASTPASSing everything. Only M&Gs with FASTPASS options being available.

Do they really add enough in PHOTOPASS $$$ to be worth the effort?

mm52200

Also I forgot to leave out that in the past year DAK also lost their welcome show and the Adventure Continues, a sort of dance party/show at park closing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom