UOAP and WDWAP discussion thread

Kman101

I think it's a great and interesting discussion to have. The benefits of each, why some find value in one and maybe not the other, why some find value in both ... I'll add more when I can but I'm on my phone and hate typing on it on here LOL

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
Original Poster
I think it's a great and interesting discussion to have. The benefits of each, why some find value in one and maybe not the other, why some find value in both ... I'll add more when I can but I'm on my phone and hate typing on it on here LOL

I think the biggest benefit is that with all of the entertainment options here, it changes the entire definition of staycation. :hilarious:

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
All I know is I lived in the Tampa area from 1994 to 1999, and again from 2003 to 2008, and I foolishly waited until 2008 to visit Universal. Kicked myself big time for waiting so long...

pax_65

Man, we LOVED having APs for years - probably over a decade. My wife and I even talked about retiring one day to Florida so we could go to Disney anytime we wanted.

But FP+ has changed that. If I have to plan a trip months in advance to get FPs for the most popular attractions, the value of the AP is significantly diminished in my view. Don't get me wrong, I'd still have a good time walking around especially during Food and Wine, but still... WDW is a theme park - I want to experience the attractions (without waiting in line for hours).

I know Disney talked about doing something to accommodate APs on the FP system, especially locals, but I never heard anything. Did they do anything, or are APs just out-of-luck when it comes to riding 7DMT on a last-minute impulse trip?

SteveBrickNJ

Would I be correct in guessing that the A P in WDWAP and UOAP stands for Annual Pass?
Yeah, has to be...duh! I read the other posts and came back here to edit. Just ignore my silly question.
:)

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
Original Poster
Man, we LOVED having APs for years - probably over a decade. My wife and I even talked about retiring one day to Florida so we could go to Disney anytime we wanted.

But FP+ has changed that. If I have to plan a trip months in advance to get FPs for the most popular attractions, the value of the AP is significantly diminished in my view. Don't get me wrong, I'd still have a good time walking around especially during Food and Wine, but still... WDW is a theme park - I want to experience the attractions (without waiting in line for hours).

I know Disney talked about doing something to accommodate APs on the FP system, especially locals, but I never heard anything. Did they do anything, or are APs just out-of-luck when it comes to riding 7DMT on a last-minute impulse trip?

I still enjoy my WDW AP still, but it has become more of a burden than it should be. F&W is still my favorite time of year at Epcot. I checked this morning and so many things are already booked that the "day trip" notion only works if you aren't riding anything great. HS is still open today though, but that's because it's a dead park. They didn't ever do anything for AP holders except bump the discounts for a year, and give us our own entrance which just has lines longer at times than the other turnstiles.

If I want to ride 7DMT, I have to rope drop it (which never happens because of my schedule), wait in standby for a few hours, or wait 30 days for an FP+ unless I get lucky and something pops up in between.

All I know is I lived in the Tampa area from 1994 to 1999, and again from 2003 to 2008, and I foolishly waited until 2008 to visit Universal. Kicked myself big time for waiting so long...

Universal was good during those years, but it didn't really get great until Transformers and WWHP opened. I'd love another go at BTTF though, even if the projection was terrible. :joyfull:

pax_65

I still enjoy my WDW AP still, but it has become more of a burden than it should be. F&W is still my favorite time of year at Epcot. I checked this morning and so many things are already booked that the "day trip" notion only works if you aren't riding anything great. HS is still open today though, but that's because it's a dead park. They didn't ever do anything for AP holders except bump the discounts for a year, and give us our own entrance which just has lines longer at times than the other turnstiles.

If I want to ride 7DMT, I have to rope drop it (which never happens because of my schedule), wait in standby for a few hours, or wait 30 days for an FP+ unless I get lucky and something pops up in between.

I don't even know what to say. I don't know how you can think that Disney cares about their AP holders at all. FP+ really diminishes the value of the AP if you like doing the popular attractions (as most people do).

By the way, rope drop was always my strategy. In the days of paper FPs we'd get to the park before opening, do the rope drop, do a headliner attraction immediately, grab an FP for something and then ride another. We could do all the big attractions before noon and spend a few hours at the pool in the afternoon.

That doesn't work these days, because the Standby lines are "broken" by FP+ (except maybe at very slow times of year). So you might get one attraction in first-thing, but then the Standby lines are clogged a few minutes after park open.

Thanks for the heads up about F&W. We're planning to go next year (taking this year off). So I'll be sure to get my FP+ the first day that I can. Do I need to set an alarm clock? Unreal...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom