Universal vs. Disney

Disneyhead'71

Holy crap.... this thread actually worked?!?!?

So obviously Nintendoland is gonna kick the tar out of TSL. Same demo, strange enough. Nintendoland is supposed to be families, right?
No, mostly 29 year old portly guys that live in their parents basement or garage. A lot like most Star Wars fans.

Haha. No, it's going to be family stuff. And possibly 2 E Tickets plus a D.

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
No, mostly 29 year old portly guys that live in their parents basement or garage. A lot like most Star Wars fans.

Haha. No, it's going to be family stuff. And possibly 2 E Tickets plus a D.

I look forward to it. I think Nintendo has a much broader appeal than Toy Story does. It will likely draw in new fans and guests rather than just marketing towards the whims of the current guests.

It going to be a great next five years for all of theOrlando Theme Parks.

JoeCamel

I don't think Avatar will be that big of a draw. Impressive, yes, but not a big draw in the same way Harry Potter and Star Wars are. Star Wars won't even be open until 2021 anyway, which gives Universal plenty of time to significantly change the parks if they keep working at the speed they have been.

USF:
Fallon ride taking over Twister
Fast & Furious taking over Disaster
Nintendoland (& Phase II between KidZone & Men in Black)
Potter Phase III (Ministry of Magic?)

IOA:
King Kong
Hulk revamp
Avengers ride
Toon Lagoon revamp (& TL theater)
Seuss Landing expansion pad
Lost Continent revamp

I'm not saying all this will happen, but I think Universal could have 4-6 more E-tickets by 2021. Throw in Volcano Bay and Universal will be fine. It remains to be seen if Disney goes all out with the expansion. Just look at New Fantasyland.

I think you left out the redo of SFA and Dr. Doom in that corner.

JT3000

I don't know what is going to happen with SFA but I know Disney wants F4 and X-men removed. Doom is doomed for the Avengers attraction.

I don't read the comics, but this whole "Let's leave our own intellectual properties for dead just because we don't own their movie rights" logic they're reportedly working with absolutely astounds me. I've never heard of anything like it before. It shows a flippant disregard for their source material, which makes you wonder what will happen when the superhero movie fad inevitably dies.

Considering how central it is to the Marvel brand, and how successful the film series has been (for the most part), if I were Disney, I would be swallowing my pride and trying to partner with Fox in order to get a major X-Men attraction off the ground, instead of eliminating it entirely out of spite.

F4... Okay, they've got some work to do there. Grab your hazmat suits.

Last edited:

Vegas Disney Fan

Honestly at this point I believe Potter is bigger then Star wars.

I'm not going to argue which is more popular but the beauty of movies like Potter, Star Wars, and even Avatar is the settings have so much detail and depth you could still love the rides and lands even if you've never seen any of the movies. These lands all have the potential to be Splash mtn on steroids, most people have never seen Song of the South but Splash is one of the most popular rides in the park simply because it's fun and has great theming.

Bairstow

Honestly at this point I believe Potter is bigger then Star wars. SW has more of a parents like it vibe as opposed to what the under 30 crowd knows and likes which is Potter. I have a feeling Disney will make new SW movies that are way to much about selling stuff then having an actual movie. I think SW land in WDW is exactly the crowd Disney goes after, old people with children. My parents took me to see SW when I was fairly young, they still have love for SW and probably think the grand kids would love all the SW stuff but my kids no nothing about SW and they have no interest in it. Same in my neighborhood, the kids just don't identify with SW at all. My parents are in their 70's BTW and I saw SW in the 70's I think?

It surprised me, but according to Google Trends, Star Wars and Harry Potter have been about neck-and-neck for years when it comes to general internet interest, barring the spikes for film releases.

It's harder to get a good handle on where Avatar is because of word confusion with the Nickelodeon series and general usage of the term.

potterwars2.jpg

brb1006

This reminds me of the time Knotts and Disneyland (Now huge competators) each took out ads wishing each other Happy Birthday in 1980.

Here's Knotts ad for Disneyland
tM1gHyi.jpg

And here's Disneyland's birthday ad to Knotts.
p2wbeVt.jpg

From the imgur poster named "8bitdan" who worked at Knotts said

"I work at Knotts and I thought this was kind of cool to share. Knotts Berry Farm (est. 1920) and Disneyland (est. 1955) are only about 7 miles apart. Walter Knott assisted Walt Disney in getting Disneyland off the ground.."

Imagine seeing Universal and WDW doing ads like this today?

Last edited:

Californian Elitist

This reminds me of the time Knotts and Disneyland (Now huge competators) each took out ads wishing each other Happy Birthday in 1980.

Here's Knotts ad for Disneyland
tM1gHyi.jpg

And here's Disneyland's birthday ad to Knotts.
p2wbeVt.jpg

From the imgur poster named "8bitdan" who worked at Knotts said

"I work at Knotts and I thought this was kind of cool to share. Knotts Berry Farm (est. 1920) and Disneyland (est. 1955) are only about 7 miles apart. Walter Knott assisted Walt Disney in getting Disneyland off the ground. Interesting to see ads that show a rare relationship between what would normally be considered two "competing" businesses."

Imagine seeing Universal and WDW doing ads like this today?

Disneyland and Knott's have never been in competition with each other.

brb1006

I'm aware of that, but this was back when Knotts was still owned by the park before getting brought by Cedar Point in 1997. And there been reports that some Disneyland CMs talk about Knotts like gum on the bottom of their shoe.

Californian Elitist

I'm aware of that, but this was back when Knotts was still owned by the park before getting brought by Cedar Point in 1997. And there been reports that some Disneyland CMs talk about Knotts like gum on the bottom of their shoe.

Reports?

Just because theme park employees say things about employees of another theme park, it doesn't make those theme parks serious rivals. Again, there's never been "beef" or competition between Disneyland and Knott's. Ever.

Californian Elitist

How's that?

They just haven't. They might poke fun, but there's no intense rivalry. Walter Knott and Walt Disney were friends. From the beginning it was never like that. They are two completely different offerings. If Knott's was in competition, it would be with Magic Mountain, and they're not even rivals like that. Really, Knott's is in its own league.

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.

Remember, the competition in Orlando will be more fierce because both resorts want to be the only destination for vacationers. In California (with only two Disney parks and one of each of the others), they're almost codependent to bring people in to California for a full week.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom