Universal vs. Disney

captainmoch

I don't think it's the concept of older men watching My Little Pony itself being controversial, it's moreso that parts of that fandom can be extremely creepy that give the entire thing a bad name.

Tony Perkis

You're assuming they act on these obsessions only in private?
I think the vast majority do, just like with every fringe interest group. The outliers are the exceptions, not the rules.

How often do you see cosplayers outside of socially acceptable arenas? I never have in everyday life.

What you are doing is putting a very negative connotation on a group because you don't personally understand the mindset.

Tony Perkis

I don't think it's the concept of older men watching My Little Pony itself being controversial, it's moreso that parts of that fandom can be extremely creepy that give the entire thing a bad name.
The moment the fandom crosses into a situation that affects outsiders and makes then personally uncomfortable around them is when it becomes an issue. Amongst themselves? Zero issue whatsoever.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Glad to know you went ahead and set the standards for everybody else to live by.

I've never even seen the show, but unless that group is doing something ethically wrong or crossing the line of what is perceived as acceptable behavior in a public setting contextually, then there isn't anything to be upset or weirded out about. It's an overzealous adoration for the show and a community of fans that love it. Knock yourself out, bronies.

I am sure there are people who would be weirded out over the amount of time we spend on the board discussing Disney theme parks.

Disneyhead'71

I am sure there are people who would be weirded out over the amount of time we spend on the board discussing Disney theme parks.
I'm getting a kick out of the Pixie Dusters pointing and laughing at the Bronies.

pot.jpeg

danlb_2000

Premium Member
The moment the fandom crosses into a situation that affects outsiders and makes then personally uncomfortable around them is when it becomes an issue. Amongst themselves? Zero issue whatsoever.

I wouldn't agree with this. There are people who get uncomfortable around the fans who dress up in perfectly respectable costumes for conventions like Comic-con. I don't see that as an issue.

JT3000

I think the vast majority do, just like with every fringe interest group. The outliers are the exceptions, not the rules.

How often do you see cosplayers outside of socially acceptable arenas? I never have in everyday life.

What you are doing is putting a very negative connotation on a group because you don't personally understand the mindset.

But why should I have to understand their mindset? If you're going to partake in something highly unusual and contrary to society's expectations, do you expect that to be everyone's first response? To try their darndest to understand where you're coming from? I think you'll find it doesn't usually happen that way. I'm not even being extraordinarily hard on anyone. While I'm not being nice, there's a lot more I could have said about them.

And outliers or not, the ones who take their obsession outside the confines of their own home (or onto the Internet) are representing their fandom as a whole.

I wouldn't agree with this. There are people who get uncomfortable around the fans who dress up in perfectly respectable costumes for conventions like Comic-con. I don't see that as an issue.

What are your thoughts on furries? (You knew someone would take this conversation there. It was inevitable.)

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
But why should I have to understand their mindset? If you're going to partake in something highly unusual and contrary to society's expectations, do you expect that to be everyone's first response? To try their darndest to understand where you're coming from? I think you'll find it doesn't usually happen that way. I'm not even being extraordinarily hard on anyone. While I'm not being nice, there's a lot more I could have said about them.

And outliers or not, the ones who take their obsession outside the confines of their own home (or onto the Internet) are representing their fandom as a whole.

What are your thoughts on furries? (You knew someone would take this conversation there. It was inevitable.)
What does it matter if they aren't hurting anyone? No one is forcing anyone else to participate.

Tony Perkis

If they're uncomfortable with the mere sight of certain cosplays, then sorry, that's on them. It's Comic Con.

If that cosplayers is doing something specifically directed at them, physically or psychologically, then there's an issue.

Last edited:

Tony Perkis

You don't have to agree with it, and you could be weirded out by it. That's your prerogative. You shouldn't issue a blanket statement that its objectively weird and creepy no matter those involved in or within context of the respective activities. It's not your place to put them in a category with negative connotations, especially when you are not involved with or around said group. They're causing you exceedingly little harm and involvement, if any.

The outliers are the loudest and most embarrassing, but at the end of the day, they're still outliers. A small minority that puts a negative spin on the greater good. Every group has them.

Not my cup of tea, but as long as I'm not being forced to become involved, then I don't care what they do.

Lynn Stephens

In February I went to WDW for a week with my family. Wifey and I escaped for a day and went to Universal. Diagon Alley is the best themed land I have ever seen. Truly outstanding and immersive. Gringots is now my favorite theme park attraction. Also butterbeer. Nectar of the Gods! Outside the greatness of Potterville, it felt Uni was all motion sims. Shrek, Minions, Simpsons...I will say the Springfield themeing was fun I did have a blast at Moes Tavern. IoA is in need of love, new Kong ride should be cool when it opens, but the park felt as rundown as Epcot. Water vortex was down on Poseidon, half the dinos weren't work on JP...but as a whole Wifey and I really enjoyed ourselves and I like the commitment that Comcast is putting into Universal.

WDW was stressful, because thats were the family was. When Wifey and I were alone walking around WDW, it was nice. We know all the issues of WDW from reading these threads.

In closing, the advantage is still to Disney due to the untapped franchises and the space for growth. Universal is catching up, and doing it quickly. What a great time to be a theme park fan.

squidward

Jurassic Park definitely needs some attention. The dinos in July looked terrible. I know Ripsaw Falls isn't supposed to be in the same league as Splash Mountain, but geez, fix the leaks. Give it a paint job. Add a few scenes to it. Even by amusement park standards, the ride looks terrible. Dr. Doom - Seriously. Have they never heard of a coat of paint? And how hard would it be to scrape the damn gum off the roof of each chamber?

These are the things I don't get about Universal. Diagon Alley is immersive to a fault. You could practically eat off the floor at Men in Black. Then you've got rides where there appears to be zero maintenance on.

JoeCamel

Jurassic Park definitely needs some attention. The dinos in July looked terrible. I know Ripsaw Falls isn't supposed to be in the same league as Splash Mountain, but geez, fix the leaks. Give it a paint job. Add a few scenes to it. Even by amusement park standards, the ride looks terrible. Dr. Doom - Seriously. Have they never heard of a coat of paint? And how hard would it be to scrape the damn gum off the roof of each chamber?

These are the things I don't get about Universal. Diagon Alley is immersive to a fault. You could practically eat off the floor at Men in Black. Then you've got rides where there appears to be zero maintenance on.

I think there might be a reason they are holding off on the paint and polish on Ripsaw and DD, maybe they have plans that don't include those? Just speculation but there are enough rumors floating (certainly about DD but Ripsaw takes a huge amount of maintainence) around to build a case for not maintaining what will be leaving.

Disneyhead'71

Dr. Doom will be hanging with Maliboomer in short order.

Ripsaw will be with us for a while. And I have yet to figure out why they can't keep up the show quality there.

Mike S

At least the T-Rex room in JP has been fixed. Was the best I've ever seen on my last trip and from what I've read on OU it's been kept that way since. The rest of the ride definitely needs help though.

squidward

Dr. Doom will be hanging with Maliboomer in short order.

Ripsaw will be with us for a while. And I have yet to figure out why they can't keep up the show quality there.

That's a shame about Dr. Doom. Doesn't seem like there's any room for much else down that street. Can't see why they'd close it, especially being an icon of the park.

Ripsaw is really the biggest head-scratcher at the resort. You've got these amazing, detailed, immersive attractions. Then you have this hideously ugly ride (interior) from top to bottom. I can deal with the lame 2D effects, but the amount of empty space and lack of show scenes, is absolutely mind boggling.

squidward

At least the T-Rex room in JP has been fixed. Was the best I've ever seen on my last trip and from what I've read on OU it's been kept that way since. The rest of the ride definitely needs help though.

I've always found the ride a bit underwhelming. The set-up for T-Rex can be seen 30 seconds in advance. The other dinosaurs have very poor appearance from the outside. The ride exterior itself is gorgeous, but once inside, eh. Sadly, Disney's dinos are much better looking.

Mike S

I've always found the ride a bit underwhelming. The set-up for T-Rex can be seen 30 seconds in advance. The other dinosaurs have very poor appearance from the outside. The ride exterior itself is gorgeous, but once inside, eh. Sadly, Disney's dinos are much better looking.
If you mean seeing the T Rex sitting there motionless that's exactly what's been fixed. It's fully covered by fog now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom