Universal vs. Disney

jensenrick

So are you saying that people are too harsh on Bronies or that people aren't harsh enough on men meeting Tinkerbell?

Too harsh on Bronies. For the most part, they are just young guys who have found kinship in the message of peace and friendship they found in a cartoon- shouldn't be too hard for a Disney crowd to relate.

Frankie The Beer

I have never heard anyone call Disney World "relaxing" before. Stressful? Yes, many times. Exhausting? Just about everyone who has ever been there. Relaxing? That's a first for me. ;)

My job is stressful. My vacation, any vacation should never be. If WDW is considered stressful, I think you could possibly be doing it wrong.;)

lebeau

My job is stressful. My vacation, any vacation should never be. If WDW is considered stressful, I think you could possibly be doing it wrong.;)

My job is substantially less stressful than a week in WDW with the family. Based on conversations I have had with friends and family members, my opinion is a common one. Wasn't "stress" given as one of the primary reasons for My Magic Plus? Maybe a lot of people are doing it wrong. Or maybe WDW is kind of a stressful place to visit. Hard to say. Although it's probably telling that USA Today ran a story titled "How To Avoid Stress at Disney."

A trip to Disney can be very stressful considering how overwhelming the parks can seem, the amount of money you are spending, your desire for everyone to have a good time and the crush of crowds and other people racing you to all the attractions. Planning and understanding the ins and outs of the parks will help relieve some of this pressure.

Google "Stress" and "Disney World" and there are a surprising number of articles that link the two. I wonder why that would be the case if it's such a relaxing place? ;)

squidward

Jumping in very late, but we skipped WDW this summer for the 1st time in more than a decade. We're skipping it again next summer. The reason - It's too stressful. The MK is my favorite place on earth, but the whole doing Disney thing - Until this mess with FP gets fixed (if it ever does), we're through. We have a child that needed the GAC, and with that gone, it's just not worth it any more. It's no fun picking out rides (especially with tiers - Seriously, how ridiculous is that?), planning every day to the exact minute. It's unanimous with everybody in my family - Universal is just a better overall vacation. Not everything about it is better (especially the food), but Disney has gotten just too difficult.

BrianV

Jumping in very late, but we skipped WDW this summer for the 1st time in more than a decade. We're skipping it again next summer. The reason - It's too stressful. The MK is my favorite place on earth, but the whole doing Disney thing - Until this mess with FP gets fixed (if it ever does), we're through. We have a child that needed the GAC, and with that gone, it's just not worth it any more. It's no fun picking out rides (especially with tiers - Seriously, how ridiculous is that?), planning every day to the exact minute. It's unanimous with everybody in my family - Universal is just a better overall vacation. Not everything about it is better (especially the food), but Disney has gotten just too difficult.

I didn't know there were tiers with the new GAC (or whatever it is called these days). I thought you just went up to the ride and got a return time based on the current wait time. Maybe I'm mistaken as we've never used that service, so just going on what I've read.

I agree with what you say in principle, though. Complicated to navigate. I serve as dictator in my family and make all the plans, fast passes, and dining ADRS. The wife and kids seem to like it better that way! ;). (When we go to universal we stay onsite with express pass so they can decide what to do then...)

Prince-1

Too harsh on Bronies. For the most part, they are just young guys who have found kinship in the message of peace and friendship they found in a cartoon- shouldn't be too hard for a Disney crowd to relate.

Sorry but if you call yourself a Bronie you deserve all the ridicule you get.

Tom Morrow

lol if you enter the Magic Kingdom on any typical day other than the now very rare low attendance day, wading through masses of people, dodging strollers and ECV's left and right, with Fastpass+ ensuring that everything has at least a moderate wait, and thinking "yeah, this is relaxing."

The Magic Kingdom is almost undeniably the most stressful theme park in the entire world.

Tony Perkis

Two out of three of those I have no idea who they are and I have no idea what bronie is?

Urban dictionary Bronie, "A male fan of the series, "My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic.""
Really?

Somethings you should just keep to yourself.
Many males on this board alone lose their minds over Disney princesses. I don't see much of a difference. Especially when there is nothing inherently wrong with either one of them.

JT3000

Many males on this board alone lose their minds over Disney princesses. I don't see much of a difference. Especially when there is nothing inherently wrong with either one of them.

You had me up until that last part...

Okay, okay, there's nothing inherently wrong with either of them.

Just inherently weird and often creepy.

Last edited:

Tony Perkis

Glad to know you went ahead and set the standards for everybody else to live by.

I've never even seen the show, but unless that group is doing something ethically wrong or crossing the line of what is perceived as acceptable behavior in a public setting contextually, then there isn't anything to be upset or weirded out about. It's an overzealous adoration for the show and a community of fans that love it. Knock yourself out, bronies.

Last edited:

Californian Elitist

It's okay for men to obsess over Disney theme parks and Disney characters, including the princesses, right? Why is that not weird and creepy, but men enjoying My Little Pony is?

SAV

We just got back from a Universal trip and IMO, Universal has far better rides than WDW. I am not a HP guy. Never read a book or seen a movie. FJ blows away everything in WDW. Gringots was AMAZING. Hogwarts Express was so cool. The 2 HP areas had the best theming I have ever seen. We loved Minions, Shrek, Transformers, Mummy, Spiderman, Rip Ride Rock-it, Simpsons, MIB. Hulk was a good coaster as well as Dragons. Heck, even Disaster and E.T. were good nostalgic rides to us.

It seems that Uni is more aimed at the Teen/adult demographic overall(sans their Seuss and Barney areas). Looking back, we really didn't explore Islands of Adventure enough. There is so much we missed.

The Nighttime shows and food offerings are where Disney shines. The Universal Studios show was OK, but nothing that blew me away. I much prefer Illuminations. And the food is just so repetitive. Every restaurant was burgers, pizza, meatball sammich, etc. There was a little variety in a couple of the smaller carts(Bee cart by Simpsons and Kebab's by Sinbad). But our family was very underwhelmed.

As for accommodations, we stayed at Cabana Bay Beach Resort and it was FAR superior to any of the Disney Value offerings. We just loved their pool areas, lazy river and other activities that were offered.

Overall it seemed like a more relaxing couple of days compared to what we do at WDW.

That said, we did spend our last day in Florida at DTD and I did miss the overall Disney feel.

JT3000

Glad to know you went ahead and set the standards for everybody else to live by.

I didn't set the standards for what's considered age/gender appropriate, believe it or not. Society as a whole did. You're just choosing to ignore them. And don't pretend that someone has to be doing something unethical for you to be weirded out by them, because I know that's not true.

It's okay for men to obsess over Disney theme parks and Disney characters, including the princesses, right? Why is that not weird and creepy, but men enjoying My Little Pony is?

Read my post again. I didn't infer that adult men obsessing over Disney's Princess brand, which is blatantly meant for little girls, was okay. I did the exact opposite.

Tony Perkis

I didn't set the standards for what's considered age/gender appropriate, believe it or not. Society as a whole did. You're just choosing to ignore them. And don't pretend that someone has to be doing something unethical for you to be weirded out by them, because I know that's not true.

No. Society sets the standards for how to act publicly and in everyday scenarios. Society never set the standard for how cliques and groups should collectively think, act, and conduct themselves amongst themselves.

JT3000

No. Society sets the standards for how to act publicly and in everyday scenarios. Society never set the standard for how cliques and groups should collectively think, act, and conduct themselves amongst themselves.

You're assuming they act on these obsessions only in private?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom