Universal Theme Park revenue up 48% for 2016

BubbaQuest

Original Poster
I couldn't find any details on attendance numbers other than "shattered attendance records", but a 32% increase in fourth-quater revenue is impressive. Universal did acknowledge much of this was due to the purchase of Uni Japan though (13% 4Q increase without Japan).

(warning auto-play): http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/tourism/os-comcast-earnings-20170126-story.html

"Operating cash flow increased 49.6 percent to $2.2 billion".

I don't think we will see a reduction in spending anytime soon with numbers like that!

Disneyhead'71

It should be interesting to the attendance numbers. And with Volcano Bay coming on line this June, 2017 should be a strong year for them.

JoeCamel

Hopefuls they don't go Disney's route and start charging ridiculous prices for everything. Universal has been a relative good deal for me lately but I'm sure they can raise the prices enough to send me else where.

Let's see, if they can make YOY 13.9% increases and keep prices down why would they raise them on everything in sight like WDW? I think they do understand simple economics about price and demand. WDW stated they wanted less attendance and they actively promoted that idea by raising prices on most everything (Mickey Bars anyone?).

Both are getting what they wanted but one is playing for the long game and the other is looking at quarterly numbers only. I think we know what the future will bring and I think it will swing back and forth for a long time.

Great time to be a theme park fan in OTown I say.

JoeCamel

Yes great time for park fans, I agree with that. When big dogs start fighting it always a good thing for the pack. Gets everyone on their toes.

Universal has the main advantage of being a head of the curve, they keep building and attendance keeps going up.Nothing like building something and getting your money back right away. Disney is behind the curve now but they started with more stuff. Universal is doing well with the hotels and the water park is a great addition but I think Universal needs to get going on Nintendoland or whatever it will be called. I've always liked AK, Disney is cranking it up in that park. I think Pandora will be very good, top shelf good. Also, over all that park may become an all day park. That's all going to happen this year. DHS is being gutted, going take a while for that but that will be basically a whole new park when they get done. I have higher hopes for AK BTW. Let loose a Hollywood director with an attitude add a high end Disney guy at his favorite park. Bet those two went crazy with ideas but can they execute? I think they can. I'm thinking DHS will be more budget minded and merchandise sales oriented.

I think Universal needs to step it up coming up with an attraction that is one of kind or something that just isn't out there yet. The money is rolling in they just need someone who has that mind set to crank it up or as Disney would say plus it. Potter was good but the bank ride has a bad finish I think. Not a bad ride but they could have done better on that one. Not my money so guys spend till it hurts. LOL.

Universal has 400 acres of virgin land to build the experience of a lifetime and with the results so far they have the money to get it right. They know how not to get bogged down resulting in enormous cost over runs and in 10 years should be a "must do" for all Orlando visitors.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom