Universal theme park earnings slip

Patrick_Ears

Original Poster
Well.. i found this and thought it would be interesting to post it. If you can follow the link i did copy and paste the story.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-universal-comcast-earnings-20140421,0,4481897.story

The parent company of Universal Orlando reported lower theme-park earnings Tuesday, pinched by pre-launch costs for the soon-to-open Wizarding World of Harry Potter -- Diagon Alley.
Comcast Corp. said operating cash flow at its Universal Parks & Resorts division slipped 1.5 percent during the first quarter of the year, sliding to $170 million from $173 million a year ago. The company blamed higher costs "to support new attractions," the biggest of which is Diagon Alley, the second Harry Potter-themed land at Universal Orlando. Universal says it will open by the summer in Universal Studios Florida, one of the two theme parks at the Orlando resort.
Though Diagon Alley isn't expected to formally debut until mid- or late-June, Universal began incurring operating costs tied to the project during the quarter. The resort began hiring workers to staff the area and launched a national television-advertising campaign to promote its impending opening. Capital spending at NBCUniversal also ballooned 11 percent during the quarter -- rising $28 million to $291 million -- in part because of Diagon Alley construction.

Universal also opened the first phase of its fourth on-property hotel -- the Cabana Bay Beach Resort -- at the end of the quarter. The hotel will eventually have 900 suites and 900 conventional rooms when it is completed by the summer.
First-quarter revenue at Comcast's theme-parks business rose 5.4 percent, from $462 million to $487 million, primarily becuase visitors to Universal Orlando and Universal Studios Hollywood in Southern California paid higher prices and bought more food and merchandise. The company said attendance was "stable" during the period, depressed by the timing of the busy Easter holiday, which fell later this year than in 2013.

Universal ran into a similar squeeze four years ago, in the quarter before the opening of the original Wizarding World of Harry Potter in Universal's Islands of Adventure park. Attendance during the first quarter of 2010 fell 10 percent, in part because travelers were waiting for Wizarding World to open, and profit plummeted 44 percent because of Potter advertising costs.
Comcast is the first of Orlando's big three theme-park owners to report first-quarter results. SeaWorld Entertainment Inc. has already disclosed that its chain-wide attendance fell 13 percent during the January-through-March period, though most of that drop appears to be due to the later Easter and a quirk in SeaWorld's fiscal calendar

maxairmike

Meh, the 3rd quarter boom should easily negate any slight loss in the 1st quarter. Cabana Bay may actually be a small liability as well until the other half opens this summer, as I believe they hired a full staff right off instead of doing two phases of hiring. If they bring the interactive wands out as well...I can't even imagine the boom in merch numbers that should create. They sell wands almost as fast as Butterbeer at times as it is.

Last edited:

BubbaQuest

"Capital spending at NBCUniversalalso ballooned 11 percent during the quarter -- rising $28 million to $291 million..."

And their cash flow only dipped $3 million? Keep it coming Universal!!!

Unfortunately, next quarter will probably look bad on paper too. But the Q3 numbers are going to be crazy with more Potter in both Florida and Japan.

BigTxEars

Meh, the 3rd quarter boom should easily negate any slight loss in the 1st quarter. Cabana Bay may actually be a small liability as well until the other half opens this summer, as I believe they hired a full staff right off instead of doing two phases of hiring. If they bring the interactive wands out as well...I can't even imagine the boom in merch numbers that should create. They sell wands almost as fast as Butterbeer at times as it is.

What's the margin in a $30 rubber wand anyways :)

maxairmike

What's the margin in a $30 rubber wand anyways :)

If I had to guess, I would say they probably come out at about $15 profit per wand, maybe a little more if the royalties and marked up production cost are lower than I would expect (they buy them from another retailer/producer, who I believe has exclusive rights to Potter wands, naturally driving up the costs Universal has to pay). Butterbeer is definitely their largest margin profit maker, though, at least as far as I'm aware.

BigTxEars

If I had to guess, I would say they probably come out at about $15 profit per wand, maybe a little more if the royalties and marked up production cost are lower than I would expect (they buy them from another retailer/producer, who I believe has exclusive rights to Potter wands, naturally driving up the costs Universal has to pay). Butterbeer is definitely their largest margin profit maker, though, at least as far as I'm aware.

We bought 3 wands last time. Only one butter beer, that stuff is too sweet for me. :) But they are making a nice chuck of change off of it for sure.

StageFrenzy

We bought 3 wands last time. Only one butter beer, that stuff is too sweet for me. :) But they are making a nice chuck of change off of it for sure.

Frozen or regular butterbeer? Did you have a nip of vanilla vodka with you, I've heard things about frozen butter beer and a little nip. ;)

BigTxEars

Frozen or regular butterbeer? Did you have a nip of vanilla vodka with you, I've heard things about frozen butter beer and a little nip. ;)

They offer a nip? Heck I would have tried that :) We had the regular both trips. Will have to try the frozen one next time.

BigTxEars

You havn't strolled into the Hogs head have you? It will be nice if it becomes more pub-like once DA opens.

No, we ate at the 3B one morning, ride the rides and then left that area. We did not spend a lot of time in that section to be honest. I am not overly familiar with it. I prefer the Toon area and the Jurrasic area myself.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom