Universal Studios Signs Deal With Sanrio

Californian Elitist

I'm not saying the same thing as you at all. I'm questioning why anyone would be into this. You're basically defending its following. Neither of us know precisely how popular it is, but that's not the point.

And how am I supposed to understand the value of this IP, or why it even exists, if you ignore the question?

I'm not defending anything. Go back and read the context. Someone stated the majority of Americans don't know who the other Sanrio characters are. I asked them how they came to that conclusion, and they said the people they talk to don't know who they are. I responded by saying I have friends who do know who they are, therefore we don't know if the majority of Americans are unaware of the other characters, unless we held a national survey.

Google Sanrio and you'll get the information you need. Telling you I'm a huge fan and know other fans of Sanrio is not enough. The company was established in Japan and they make boo-coo money on their products, which includes things like bags, pencils, jewelry, clothing, etc. Sanrio is mostly for young girls and women.

brb1006

Sanrio???? I have no idea who or what that is. Doesn't matter something different at the park.

Don't know why so many people care about how much money these corporations are making or why they need to follow each other around. Personally I don't care if Universal or Disney goes BK. In both cases the theme parks are not their main business. All I'm interested in is who can come up with the most entertaining place and at the moment WDW is on the way out and Universal is becoming my go to place in Orlando. Theme parks are just one option for myself and my family out of many many things to see or do in the world.
Sanrio is a company well-known in Japan for creating merchandise with its characters. It's well-known for creating Hello Ktity. Sanrio also has a popular anime called Jewelpet which is huge in Japan.

champdisney

They already sell Hello Kitty merch in Japan in EPCOT. So clearly no one has a problem with it.

I appreciate the knighting up, though.
The store that hosts Hello Kitty merchandise at Epcot is owned by a completely different company, an Oriental one I believe. Disney has no say over the products they sell. They even sell Nintendo products, a company as we all know has found a new friend in Universal. If Disney did have a say, they would've stop advertising those products faster than Sonic the Hedgehog. Being that it is not a Disney owned store, that company has the freedom of selling whatever IPs they please as long as it fits the theming of Japan.

twebber55

I'm not saying the same thing as you at all. I'm questioning why anyone would be into this. You're basically defending its following. Neither of us know precisely how popular it is, but that's not the point.

And how am I supposed to understand the value of this IP, or why it even exists, if you ignore the question?
ill go on record and say I could less about Hello Kitty but its a top 10 merchandising franchise
so obviously people buy that stuff

matt78

I'm very serious. As serious as one can be while talking about an anthropomorphic cat wearing a bow. Is it even a legit character? Does it actually do anything other than appearing on merchandise aimed at little girls? I sincerely don't know. Why do you enjoy it?

I wouldn't assume that the merchandise will only be aimed at little girls. In Japan they cross Hello Kitty over with just about anything. I've seen merchandise with them crossing over with New Japan Pro Wrestling, various anime characters, DC Comics, Kiss, Sadako from the Ring movie franchise and even Playboy. Last year the NY Yankees gave away a Hello Kitty Bobblehead dressed in a Yankees uniform.

Last edited:

JT3000

I wouldn't assume that the merchandise will only be aimed at little girls. In Japan they cross Hello Kitty over with just about anything. I've seen merchandise with them crossing over with New Japan Pro Wrestling, various anime characters, DC Comics, Kiss, Sadako from the Ring movie franchise and even Playboy. Last year the NY Yankees gave away a Hello Kitty Bobblehead dressed in a Yankees uniform.

While most of this should strike me as downright weird, knowing it was sold in Japan kind of negates that. Notice how the only American item on that list had to be given away?

Just don't Google the Hello Kitty Pocket Rocket.

You have been warned.

That looks... uncomfortable.

Will it be sold at Universal?

Last edited:

danpam1024

I'm not defending anything. Go back and read the context. Someone stated the majority of Americans don't know who the other Sanrio characters are. I asked them how they came to that conclusion, and they said the people they talk to don't know who they are. I responded by saying I have friends who do know who they are, therefore we don't know if the majority of Americans are unaware of the other characters, unless we held a national survey.

Google Sanrio and you'll get the information you need. Telling you I'm a huge fan and know other fans of Sanrio is not enough. The company was established in Japan and they make boo-coo money on their products, which includes things like bags, pencils, jewelry, clothing, etc. Sanrio is mostly for young girls and women.
Sephora even has a Hello Kitty make up and perfume line LOL! It's genius in my opinion- if not just for merch

danpam1024

Since to Orlando demo has a high percentage of little princesses, it makes sense for Uni to up their game in appealing to that market. The only market Uni is ignoring is the stroller brigade. And I believe that is intentional.
Seriously, if UOR becomes a stroller nightmare like WDW, I'm giving up on theme parks.

danpam1024

Yep, and I just recently ran out of my Hello Kitty perfume. Sanrio is not some random and recent product that came out of nowhere.
I had a seafoam green HK and friends hairbrush in 1982 (I was 6). It was the perfect hairbrush- not too soft, not too hard, and it had HK on it! My sister broke it on purpose. I have been looking for that thing ever since....maybe my luck is about to change :D

Californian Elitist

I had a seafoam green HK and friends hairbrush in 1982 (I was 6). It was the perfect hairbrush- not too soft, not too hard, and it had HK on it! My sister broke it on purpose. I have been looking for that thing ever since....maybe my luck is about to change :D

What a mean thing for your sister to do. I bet if you look on eBay, you'd be able to find a brush like the one you had.

I still have this really cool Hello Kitty piggy bank I got when I was a kid. It's a house, and you put a coin on this platform, kind of where the front porch is, and she comes out in a car and take the coin away. I thought it was the coolest thing ever when I was a little girl haha. I still own a lot of my Hello Kitty merchandise from girlhood, including a wall piece I've never opened. Still own a lot of Chococat things, too, mainly wallets and purses. I remember my mom bought me a Chococat scarf when I was in the fourth grade. I still wear that scarf, it's one of my favorites.

danpam1024

Isn't there a kiosk in CW with HK stuff- I could swear I bought a purse there.
I know that Hello Kitty is huge in the USA, but I don't know a thing about the brand except for the logo.

Then again, I'm a mid-to-late 20's single male with no kids and didn't grow up with sisters. Why would I know anything about the brand?
Because you would look pretty in a big pink bow!

matt78

While most of this should strike me as downright weird, knowing it was sold in Japan kind of negates that. Notice how the only American item on that list had to be given away?

You do know that ballparks give away things to draw people to the ballpark. They wouldn't giveaway something unless they thought it would be really popular. Its pointless to do it otherwise. MLB's online shop sells Hello Kitty items for both women and girls. They must make something off of it or they wouldn't bother.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom