Universal Studios Signs Deal With Sanrio

Ok I was actually leaving this alone but seeing as I have been quoted!
There are numerous posts (now so on the first page of the thread) suggesting Disney could have done with this, and that it will close the gap between Universal and Disney in terms of franchises.
Firstly, I am entitled to my opinion whether you like it or not. I have said a number of times that this move has positives.
Secondly, Star Wars is undoubtedly going to generate more revenue for Disney. More I would argue then this will generate for Universal. That was my point.
Criticize Disney's rides or whatever, but the fact of the matter is the acquisition of LucasFilm was a spectacular move by Disney. In terms of generating revenue Disney is simply turning into a monster.
I haven't once tried to defend the parks, I much prefer the Universal parks. I just think it's wrong to downplay Disney as a whole.
For the record I could have used Marvel, Princesses and a host of other franchises that Disney own to prove my point. I chose Star Wars as it's my favourite.

I can't help but feel this is a bit of a 'B' class IP. Say how much you want about merchandise and how slow Disney are to change but they have Star Wars........ Star Wars is in a league of it's own for merchandise.......
So enjoy Hello Kitty if that's what your into but to say it's a massive gain for Universal is a bit unfounded......

This is my original post? How is this reading way too much into it?

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
I can not believe how many people that are always ripping down Disney now think Disney missed the boat on this one. If it was going into Disney Springs you would be asking how this fits into the back story. If it was going into Epcot it would be moving Disney away from what Epcot was all about when it first open. It is a cat, it can not go into Animal Kingdom. It is not Disney property, why should it be part of a Disney Park. Should I go on.

GLaDOS

I can not believe how many people that are always ripping down Disney now think Disney missed the boat on this one. If it was going into Disney Springs you would be asking how this fits into the back story. If it was going into Epcot it would be moving Disney away from what Epcot was all about when it first open. It is a cat, it can not go into Animal Kingdom. It is not Disney property, why should it be part of a Disney Park. Should I go on.

They already sell Hello Kitty merch in Japan in EPCOT. So clearly no one has a problem with it.

I appreciate the knighting up, though.

s8film40

This is my original post? How is this reading way too much into it?
I completely agree with your assessment that HK is a B class IP, I think that's why Universal isn't jumping in with attractions, rides, shows etc. and instead is starting out with just a shop and M&G. However Star Wars is an A class IP and you really can't compare it here. Universal has plenty of A class IP's if you want to compare Star Wars against something at Universal.

brb1006

You can't be serious. Americans have been enjoying Sanrio for decades.
Yeah, but not many Americans know about the other Sanrio characters (My Melody and Cinnamoroll who are very well-known in Japan) besides Hello Kitty herself who is the most well-known character. Heck, I don't think anyone I know even heard of Sanrio besides me.

brb1006

How do you know that?
When ever I ask people about Hello Kitty, I bring up the other characters. They would admittedly recognize Hello Kitty, but are clueless when I bring up the other Sanrio characters. I guess this might be a regional thing, since I live in the country side.

Californian Elitist

When ever I ask people about Hello Kitty, I bring up the other characters. They would admittedly recognize Hello Kitty, but are clueless when I bring up the other Sanrio characters. I guess this might be a regional thing, since I live in the country side.

Whenever I speak to my friends about the other Sanrio characters, they know who I'm talking about.

You can't speak for the majority of Americans because you just don't know, unless you held a national survey.

JT3000

You can't be serious. Americans have been enjoying Sanrio for decades.

I'm very serious. As serious as one can be while talking about an anthropomorphic cat wearing a bow. Is it even a legit character? Does it actually do anything other than appearing on merchandise aimed at little girls? I sincerely don't know. Why do you enjoy it?

Whenever I speak to my friends about the other Sanrio characters, they know who I'm talking about.

You're obviously a fan, and so are they, otherwise you wouldn't be talking about it in the first place. You can't automatically extrapolate that experience to other Americans. In my estimation, it isn't popular enough that most people would find themselves discussing it. This is the very first time I've ever done it myself. Sure, I've heard of it before, but I'm not usually like, "Yeah, that's a thing. Let's talk about it."

Last edited:

Californian Elitist

I'm very serious. As serious as one can be while talking about an anthropomorphic cat wearing a bow. Is it even a legit character? Does it actually do anything other than appearing on merchandise aimed at little girls? I sincerely don't know. Why do you enjoy it?

You're obviously a fan, and so are they, otherwise you wouldn't be talking about it in the first place. You can't automatically extrapolate that experience to other Americans. In my estimation, it isn't popular enough that most people would find themselves discussing it.

I'm going to ignore the first half of your response and question why you didn't read the rest of the second post and its context? I said the same thing you just said (besides the popularity part).

JT3000

I'm going to ignore the first half of your response and question why you didn't read the rest of the second post and its context? I said the same thing you just said (besides the popularity part).

I'm not saying the same thing as you at all. I'm questioning why anyone would be into this. You're basically defending its following. Neither of us know precisely how popular it is, but that's not the point.

And how am I supposed to understand the value of this IP, or why it even exists, if you ignore the question?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom