Universal Studios Hollywood Announces an "Epic Transformation"

Californian Elitist

The big thing with that would be the rides DL has that WDW doesn't or used to have but not anymore. The other worldwide parks wouldn't matter much since there's a much lower chance of a WDW fan going to those rather than flying to the west coast for DL. Plus DLR also has DCA and USH is just one park.

I would love to go to Disneyland Anaheim which i would probably do if i go. Thats the point. I wouldnt visit universal hollywood now because besides the backlot tour, there is nothing unique. I would now only visit the Disney parks with Matterhorn, Alice, California Screamin, Radiator Springs Racers, Nemos subs, Grizzly River Run, Goofys plane ride and so much more.

For the most part, only a small number of rides at the DLR aren't at WDW. A bug's land is full of baby rides that aren't in Florida, but I highly doubt people would fly all the way to California just to ride Heimlich's Chew Chew Train.

The argument just doesn't make sense to me, especially the part about waiting for more solely unique experiences to come to the park (chances of that are slim to none). USH's attraction roster is small and close to Orlando's (BTW, the studio tour isn't the only unique attraction/experience), but that doesn't mean the experience is going to be exactly the same. I feel if one was truly curious about seeing USH, or USO, or any other theme park, they'd go and not make up some sort of excuse that doesn't make much sense, no offense orlando.

mahnamahna101

There is absolutely no space for an RSR-type attraction at USH. It will be like Kong, where you enter a show building on a track, with gigantic screens on the sides. I don't know if you've ever experienced, but it does a good job of making the guests feel like they're actually moving on the tram and falling through the trees. Fast and the Furious will be like that, only with props included. I have faith in it. We'll see when June comes.
Orlando will probably get something akin to RSR themed to F&F to replace the San Francisco pavillion so that again sets a precedent for O-Town getting the expanded version of theme park attractions.

mahnamahna101

I'm very curious what theme a third theme park could have. Also Universal Studios has never really had non IP rides right? Are they ever going to do so? I mean Disney does it very often. Universal studios Orlando has the Universal park which is the classic theme park theme and the Islands of Adventure based on different types of literature, but what could be another theme?
Toys and games (board games and video games)

It would lend itself to be the kid-friendly alternative to the other two gates (USF and IOA)

JT3000

For the most part, only a small number of rides at the DLR aren't at WDW. A bug's land is full of baby rides that aren't in Florida, but I highly doubt people would fly all the way to California just to ride Heimlich's Chew Chew Train.

The argument just doesn't make sense to me, especially the part about waiting for more solely unique experiences to come to the park (chances of that are slim to none). USH's attraction roster is small and close to Orlando's (BTW, the studio tour isn't the only unique attraction/experience), but that doesn't mean the experience is going to be exactly the same. I feel if one was truly curious about seeing USH, or USO, or any other theme park, they'd go and not make up some sort of excuse that doesn't make much sense, no offense orlando.

Their point is that one has little reason to be "truly curious" about USH if they've already been to the Orlando parks and experienced most of the attractions there. It's not an excuse, it makes perfect sense. While the other differences between the parks might make for an interesting comparison and contrast for the true park nerd, most people will only go to a farther away park for the unique attractions and other LARGE differences, not the little differences. It would be one thing if USH had entire lands to explore that can't be found elsewhere, but until Springfield opened, USH really didn't even HAVE themed lands, much less unique ones. If Universal wants USH to look like a viable option when compared directly with their other parks, they aren't doing themselves any favors by cloning so much.

You also can't compare it to DLR. There's a reason why I'll soon be going there on my first ever trip to California, while completely bypassing USH (and that's coming from someone who has a preference for Universal here.) I'm not a film buff, I'm a theme park enthusiast, and there's really little of interest at USH that I haven't already seen.

Last edited:

Californian Elitist

Their point is that one has little reason to be "truly curious" about USH if they've already been to the Orlando parks and experienced most of the attractions there. It's not an excuse, it makes perfect sense. While the other differences between the parks might make for an interesting comparison and contrast for the true park nerd, most people will only go to a farther away park for the unique attractions and other LARGE differences, not the little differences. It would be one thing if USH had entire lands to explore that can't be found elsewhere, but until Springfield opened, USH really didn't even HAVE themed lands, much less unique ones. If Universal wants USH to look like a viable option when compared directly with their other parks, they aren't doing themselves any favors by cloning so much.

You also can't compare it to DLR. There's a reason why I'll soon be going there on my first ever trip to California, while completely bypassing USH (and that's coming from someone who has a preference for Universal here.) I'm not a film buff, I'm a theme park enthusiast, and there's really little of interest at USH that I haven't already seen.

You missed my point. Someone wants to wait until USH gets something large of its own. That's never going to happen (come to think of it, the Studio Tour should count for that). So unless one likes to wait for decades, it's best to check it out for oneself now or in a few years. Anything USH gets, with the exception of the Studio Tour, and Water World, Orlando will get too. There's no sense in waiting.

JT3000

You missed my point. Someone wants to wait until USH gets something large of its own. That's never going to happen (come to think of it, the Studio Tour should count for that). So unless one likes to wait for decades, it's best to check it out for oneself now or in a few years. Anything USH gets, with the exception of the Studio Tour, and Water World, Orlando will get too. There's no sense in waiting.

I would like to think they will eventually figure out that they can't just continue to clone everything from (or to) Orlando and expect people to come. You may think it doesn't make sense to wait under the assumption that USH getting new, unique attractions is so unlikely, but for many of us, it makes no sense to go now. Waiting is the more logical and financially feasible option. If you wait, something interesting might eventually pop up. If you buy a ticket today, there's no chance of something magically popping up tomorrow.

Last edited:

Californian Elitist

I would like to think they will eventually figure out that they can't just continue to clone everything from (or to) Orlando and expect people to come. You may think it doesn't make sense to wait under the assumption that USH getting new, unique attractions is so unlikely, but for many of us, it makes no sense to go now. Waiting is the more logical and financially feasible option. If you wait, something interesting might eventually pop up. If you buy a ticket today, there's no chance of something magically popping up tomorrow.

I will repeat myself again, the headlining attraction at USH doesn't exist in Orlando: the Studio Tour. It is by far the most unique attraction in the entire park and it doesn't exist in any of the foreign parks, let alone Universal Orlando. And it's getting a nice change come this summer. There's something different right there. Using the excuse of waiting for something unique to arrive is null and void to me. That unique something has been in existence for literally a century now.

Universal Orlando has been around since the 90's. It has been decades since the opening. Looking at how everything's turning out, it's safe to say Universal really likes cloning things between the parks, with the exception of the Studio Tour. Not to mention USH has absolutely now space, especially now that Potter is being built. I can bet whatever USH gets after Potter will eventually go to Orlando.

You can either go now, go once Potter opens, or wait until pigs fly (when USH gets another mega attraction that will stay unique, besides the Studio Tour).

lazyboy97o

I will repeat myself again, the headlining attraction at USH doesn't exist in Orlando: the Studio Tour. It is by far the most unique attraction in the entire park and it doesn't exist in any of the foreign parks, let alone Universal Orlando. And it's getting a nice change come this summer. There's something different right there. Using the excuse of waiting for something unique to arrive is null and void to me. That unique something has been in existence for literally a century now.

Universal Orlando has been around since the 90's. It has been decades since the opening. Looking at how everything's turning out, it's safe to say Universal really likes cloning things between the parks, with the exception of the Studio Tour. Not to mention USH has absolutely now space, especially now that Potter is being built. I can bet whatever USH gets after Potter will eventually go to Orlando.

You can either go now, go once Potter opens, or wait until pigs fly (when USH gets another mega attraction that will stay unique, besides the Studio Tour).
The Studio Tour did exist at Universal Studios Florida, just not for very long because the fun parts were built as separate attractions. While it remains the centerpiece of Universal Studios Hollywood, the Tour has been losing its ability to sustain the park. It was the success of attractions in Florida that had Comcast alter the plans for Hollywood to become more theme park focused. The Studio Tour succeeds far more on the mythology of Hollywood than it does as a standalone experience, the reason it is becoming more focused on the "ride the movies" elements. Comcast clearly thinks Universal Studios Hollywood can grow as a theme park but that just cannot happen so long as the park remains full of hand-me-downs from other parks. Differences amongst parks is not just about those who make it to multiple destinations but also the creative culture within and organization and how the becomes an image projected to the public.

Disneyhead'71

Since USH is the only park from the major players that isn't part of a Destination Theme Park Resort, I think recently they are doing a great job of keeping it fresh and drawing in crowds. But it is not something to plan a vacation around. You go when already planning a trip to the area.

Californian Elitist

The Studio Tour did exist at Universal Studios Florida, just not for very long because the fun parts were built as separate attractions. While it remains the centerpiece of Universal Studios Hollywood, the Tour has been losing its ability to sustain the park. It was the success of attractions in Florida that had Comcast alter the plans for Hollywood to become more theme park focused. The Studio Tour succeeds far more on the mythology of Hollywood than it does as a standalone experience, the reason it is becoming more focused on the "ride the movies" elements. Comcast clearly thinks Universal Studios Hollywood can grow as a theme park but that just cannot happen so long as the park remains full of hand-me-downs from other parks. Differences amongst parks is not just about those who make it to multiple destinations but also the creative culture within and organization and how the becomes an image projected to the public.

Yes, but the park in Orlando doesn't offer a tour as of now.

And yes, you reinstated my point. USH will continue to get hand-me-downs. So it makes no sense for someone to wait for more exclusive, unique mega attractions to hit the park. One might as well go now and include other nearby attractions, as I stated earlier.

Disneyhead'71

And yes, you reinstated my point. USH will continue to get hand-me-downs. So it makes no sense for someone to wait for more exclusive, unique mega attractions to hit the park. One might as well go now and include other nearby attractions, as I stated earlier.
I believe that the L.A. Basin has plenty to offer the theme park fan not only in content and variety, but more importantly, history. Knott's, Disneyland, and Universal Studios are the seeds from which the modern theme park industry grew. Add in SeaWorld, Legoland, and Magic Mountain and the variety expands even further. And "real" parks fans would probably include the Santa Monica Pier just for fun (I did). I even threw in The Hotel Del just because TWDC liked it enough to copy in WDW.

Last edited:

Californian Elitist

I believe that the L.A. Basin has plenty to offer the theme park fan not only in content and variety, but more importantly, history. Knott's, Disneyland, and Universal Studios are the seeds from which modern theme park industry grew. Add in SeaWorld, Legoland, and Magic Mountain and the variety expands even further. And "real" parks fans would probably include the Santa Monica Pier just for fun (I did). I even threw in The Hotel Del just because TWDC liked it enough to copy in WDW.

Exactly. I'm definitely not denying USH doesn't come off as a stand-alone vacation destination. I can understand people not wanting to fly across the country just to visit Universal Studios Hollywood, but it was meant to be included with other activities.

Mike S

I believe that the L.A. Basin has plenty to offer the theme park fan not only in content and variety, but more importantly, history. Knott's, Disneyland, and Universal Studios are the seeds from which the modern theme park industry grew. Add in SeaWorld, Legoland, and Magic Mountain and the variety expands even further. And "real" parks fans would probably include the Santa Monica Pier just for fun (I did). I even threw in The Hotel Del just because TWDC liked it enough to copy in WDW.
As did I.

Californian Elitist

A look at Potter construction from Universal Plaza...still a long way to go.

17035618752_a4a4c6c945_b.jpg

Thanks to William from USHFORUMS.com

http://www.ushforums.com/index.php?/topic/175-the-wizarding-world-of-harry-potter/page-98

Disneyhead'71

Between Springfield and Potter, USH will start to feel more like a "Theme Park". Forbidden Journey will be a huge addition to their line up.

And from what I'm hearing, most people are under estimating F&F. It should be a major home run.

GLaDOS

Isn't it mostly just a spruced up Kong on the Studio Tour?

Nothing wrong with that, but that's the impression I'm getting.

Far more intricate. Multiple scenes and physical effects, some that should be very, very interesting.

If KK360 is to Test Track then F&F is to RSR. It'll be better/bigger in every conceivable way.

lazyboy97o

In order to keep expanding Comcast has to abandon the constant global cloning program they have been utilizing. None of the parks have the space to do that because it means tearing out so much each time. Creating an image of excitement and creativity will also need to happen to make all of their parks into more stand alone draws. It is happening in Orlando and there is no reason Universal Studios Hollywood can't move up in people's must-do lists when visiting Southern California, but part of that is further elevating people's perceptions of Universal's parks in general.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom