Universal Orlando raises parking fees

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.
Likening WDW to fast food isn't helping.

I wasn't trying liken WDW to fast food at all but simply tried to make the point in response to another post that McDonalds is the industry standard for fast food world wide and not because they have the best food. What McDonalds does well is that a Quarter Pounder in St. Louis tastes the same as a Quarter Pounder in Orlando, you always know what you are getting.

Disney is by far the industry leader for theme parks and destination resorts. That is why they can command 20% higher room rates and charge more for entry into their parks, even when so many on the boards here cannot understand why people continue to visit in ever higher numbers year after year.

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
I wasn't trying liken WDW to fast food at all but simply tried to make the point in response to another post that McDonalds is the industry standard for fast food world wide and not because they have the best food. What McDonalds does well is that a Quarter Pounder in St. Louis tastes the same as a Quarter Pounder in Orlando, you always know what you are getting.

Disney is by far the industry leader for theme parks and destination resorts. That is why they can command 20% higher room rates and charge more for entry into their parks, even when so many on the boards here cannot understand why people continue to visit in ever higher numbers year after year.
I'm losing track of how many times I have brought this point upon deaf ears: there's more than one definition of "industry leader".

BigTxEars

I'm a rock star:p :cool: but I adore Boardwalk as well- last time I did a comparison, HRH was $150/night cheaper (passholder rate). Boardwalk is cute-, but I'll take extra spending money over cuteness any day- especially since I LOVE Rock-n-Roll :joyfull: Boardwalk never offered the equivalent of unlimited express pass either, or a kick booty cabana by the pool, or a rickshaw ride when I'm too tired to walk. I would have 100% agreed with you several years ago. I used to think Disney was the be all end all and maybe it was at the time. But there is no excitement or newness or value anymore. It it TREMENDOUSLY overpriced for what it has become. Like I said, good thing people are still willing to believe it's as great as it used to be, I'll reap the benefits at Uni for now :D

I can see your love for the HR, especially if your a RnR fan :) Express Pass is a heck of a perk, really a game changer to make me want to stay at a Uni resort. Much better than any Disney perks IMO. Kinda like a mindless unlimited fast pass :)

I just smile at Disney more than at Uni, can't say why really but there it is. Wanna see a picture of the leaf I kept from POR the first time we stayed there? Yep I'm that nerdy :)

draybook

Except that it seems that in the last couple of years or so, the growing population of tourists visiting WDW are foreigners. I don't have hard numbers to prove that, just my observation while there. Do you know what kind of deals they offer these folks? I've seen where they actually get room discounts + free dining. So, I wouldn't exactly say that Disney is "getting away" with charging ridiculous amounts for their rooms, since they are often discounted.

By the way, the prices at some of the deluxe resorts almost made me have an aneurysm when I was trying to get an idea of what kind of AP discounts we could get for our trip next year.

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.
Except that it seems that in the last couple of years or so, the growing population of tourists visiting WDW are foreigners. I don't have hard numbers to prove that, just my observation while there. Do you know what kind of deals they offer these folks? I've seen where they actually get room discounts + free dining. So, I wouldn't exactly say that Disney is "getting away" with charging ridiculous amounts for their rooms, since they are often discounted.

By the way, the prices at some of the deluxe resorts almost made me have an aneurysm when I was trying to get an idea of what kind of AP discounts we could get for our trip next year.

No clue about discount offerings, I do know many countries get extended stay deals of 21 days or so that are very enticing.

As far as the prices, they are extremely to say the least. TDO knows that if you want to enjoy the convinience of proximity and the extreme theming of the resorts you will pay. Even with my AP discount the room prices are high, especially at the Deluxe resorts.

WDWDad13

Also remember Universal has the upkeep of two of the worlds largest concrete parking structures, 3 huge bridges and dozens of elevators and speed ramps plus associated lighting, electrical, restrooms and the like.

and Disney has miles and miles of roads within the resort property whereas Uni doesn't

Patrick_Ears

yeah i'm looking at around Mardi Gras time for us for next year. It's early here in New Orleans on Feb 17th.

I hope the crowds won't be that bad, but we have been to Disney during that time frame once before. Weather was perfect all 6 days and crowds were manageable.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Does Uni have a tram thats picks you up like Disney does?
Nope, it's all within easy walking distance to the parks.
As I've discussed on a different thread, the "easy walking distance" is in the eye of the beholder. From the closest corner of the parking garage to the gates of the parks is a little over 1/3 mile. There are moving sidewalks that assist with about a 1/3 of that. For me, that is is an easy walk. For my 75 year old father, that was a long way, particularly at the end of the day. And if we hadn't brought the stroller for our 4 year old (who otherwise doesn't need a stroller), I'd have been carrying him.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
I'm losing track of how many times I have brought this point upon deaf ears: there's more than one definition of "industry leader".
Indeed there is. But I believe it is highly likely that more people, if you asked "Who is the industry leader for theme parks and destination resorts?" would choose Disney from the multiple choice list than would choose anybody else.

In addition, in this particular case -- the raise in parking fees to $17, Disney literally led, as in "went first".

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
Indeed there is. But I believe it is highly likely that more people, if you asked "Who is the industry leader for theme parks and destination resorts?" would choose Disney from the multiple choice list than would choose anybody else.

In addition, in this particular case -- the raise in parking fees to $17, Disney literally led, as in "went first".
All that you say is certainly correct, but if popular opinion dictates fact, Ke$ha is better than the Stones. :)

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Thats nearly as expensive as the hotel parking, Im black affronted, and they dont even have any magic or bands, rip off bar stewards

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom