Universal Orlando raises parking fees

BigTxEars

If some folks on here just have such an issue admitting anything positive about WDW and want to try and portray that they are not the industry leader in theme parks then that is what they are going to do regardless of the facts. I don't have a dog in the fight, I have Six Flags as my avatar, love the 6F parks. I have been nothing but positive about Uni and Seaworld on here. I spent a week last year at Uni, none at WDW. My favorite ride in Orlando is Ripsaw Falls. Sea World San Antonio is the most relaxing park I have ever been too, love it! I bought into DVC this year, love going to Disney. I enjoy all the parks, but know without a doubt that Disney is the one other parks try to emulate the success of, that the majority of people in the general population associate with theme parks, the one that delivers the highest number of guest yearly, the one that is leading the way in innovation in the way people visit theme parks on a global scale. Those are the things that define a industry leader. I have asked three time now, if not Disney then who is?

BigTxEars

And last year Universal Orlando Resort raised prices first, Disney followed and in doing so admitted that three of the Walt Disney World parks are worth less than the two at Universal Orlando Resort. If anything, Universal Orlando Resort has been smart to wait for Disney to raise prices first because that makes the news first and gets people complaining about Disney. Universal then quietly follows and few ever say a word.

Very wise of Uni, the same way the airlines did with baggage fees years ago. Let the other guy take the first wave of heat then do the same thing when that heat calms down.

The milk and banana wars that go on in your area between grocery stores are the same. Store A raises milk prices to see what Store B will do. Store B reacts with higher, the same or lower milk prices and then store A reacts to that reaction. Same with bananas, sound silly I know but it's very important within the grocery industry. Wal-Mart is the nationwide leader in food sales with 20% of the total market, they are the clear industry leader. But in local markets they compete with local chains. Wal-Mart watches them, and they watch Wal-Mart. They move and react off each other, in Texas that is with H.E.B., other parts of the country it's different stores. But that does mean that Wal-Mart is not the industry leader because they react to what their smaller competitors do. It's no different with WDW.

Disneyhead'71

McDonald's is the industry leader in Fast Food and Disney is the industry leader in Destination Theme Park Resorts.

You guys knock yourselves out at McDonald's. I'm going to Panara Bread or Chipotle.

BigTxEars

McDonald's is the industry leader in Fast Food and Disney is the industry leader in Destination Theme Park Resorts.

You guys knock yourselves out at McDonald's. I'm going to Panara Bread or Chipotle.

Both excellent choices indeed, throw in Pei Wei and it's trifecta of yum!

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
@BigTxEars, you're just using the term "leader" entirely to broadly. Yes, they're the financial leader. Are they the leaders in innovation? Are they the leaders in cleanliness? Are they the leaders in growth?
All these things are debatable, but they are definitely not leading in every aspect. Until that day, you had better narrow down the labels you give parks.

BigTxEars

@BigTxEars, you're just using the term "leader" entirely to broadly. Yes, they're the financial leader. Are they the leaders in innovation? Are they the leaders in cleanliness? Are they the leaders in growth?
All these things are debatable, but they are definitely not leading in every aspect. Until that day, you had better narrow down the labels you give parks.

Again, if Disney is not the industry leader in theme parks who is?

TubaGeek

Again, if Disney is not the industry leader in theme parks who is?
Did you not bother to read my response? The "industry leader" is subjective.
From The Motley Fool:
Industry leader may be defined in several ways. Most often it is the company in a sector or business line with the highest sales, highest market share, or highest profits. But it can also be a technology leader who sets the standard for new products or the player with the most visible public image.

Just because you're right in your definition of the word does not mean I'm not right in my definition of the word.

Last edited:

BigTxEars

Did you not bother to read my response? The "industry leader" is subjective.
From The Motley Fool:
Industry leader may be defined in several ways. Most often it is the company in a sector or business line with the highest sales, highest market share, or highest profits. But it can also be a technology leader who sets the standard for new products or the player with the most visible public image.
Just because you're right in your definition of the word does not mean I'm not right in my definition of the word.

highest sales = Disney

highest market share = Disney

highest profits = Disney

technology lead = Disney or Uni take your pick, I think Disney leads because of the potential the MBs have myself. They have a ton of potential for increased immersion in the theme parks, which is what I enjoy about WDW :)

most visible public image = Disney

Either way Disney domiantes the majority of the items listed above. Be in 5 of 5 or 4 of 5 they dominate the industry.

I get it, you don't like the modern WDW. No need to try and deny their place in the industry though. I absolutely hate the Dallas Cowboys, detest them in fact. They are a world class football organization though. For me to say otherwise is stupid.

TalkingHead

highest sales = Disney

highest profits = Disney

technology lead = Disney or Uni take your pick, I think Disney leads because of the potential the MBs have myself. They have a ton of potential for increased immersion in the theme parks, which is what I enjoy about WDW :)

Either way Disney domiantes the majority of the items listed above. Be in 5 of 5 or 4 of 5 they dominate the industry.

Most innovative attractions = Universal

That's the trump card for me.

TubaGeek

highest sales = Disney

highest profits = Disney

Congratulations. By your definition you're right. By my definition you're a loon.
I don't know how many ways I can say it: I don't care about the numbers. The industry leader can be the company that pushes innovation and development, regardless of sales and stocks. Now, price aside, the MagicBands have a lot of cool tech potential, but they're no more a theme park attraction than the quarter-operated rocket ship outside my neighborhood Piggly Wiggly.

BigTxEars

Congratulations. By your definition you're right. By my definition you're a loon.
I don't know how many ways I can say it: I don't care about the numbers. The industry leader can be the company that pushes innovation and development, regardless of sales and stocks. Now, price aside, the MagicBands have a lot of cool tech potential, but they're no more a theme park attraction than the quarter-operated rocket ship outside my neighborhood Piggly Wiggly.

I just replied to YOUR definition, at least the one YOU posted. The only one that is even debatable I clearly said could go to either. I gave my choice and why. I have heard nothing from you supporting any other company as industry leader, just that Disney is not. Heck I have not even heard a reason why you think Disney is not. Your all emotion and no logic on this, if there is any logic, facts or even points as to why you think somebody beside Disney is the industry leader then post them. To keep repeating it's not Disney, it's not Disney is not moving this along.

BigTxEars

Most innovative attractions = Universal

That's the trump card for me.

Fair enough, I already posted that I enjoy the immersion of WDW more than the tech rides of Uni. I like both, but I just enjoy the theming and immersion of WDW more. I go to both though so I get the best of both worlds I guess :)

TubaGeek

I just replied to YOUR definition, at least the one YOU posted. The only one that is even debatable I clearly said could go to either. I gave my choice and why. I have heard nothing from you supporting any other company as industry leader, just that Disney is not. Heck I have not even heard a reason why you think Disney is not. Your all emotion and no logic on this, if there is any logic, facts or even points as to why you think somebody beside Disney is the industry leader then post them. To keep repeating it's not Disney, it's not Disney is not moving this along.
Good bippy, do I need to write it out? By the first definition I offered, Disney is the leader. By the second definition I offered, Universal is the leader. THERE IS NO UNDISPUTED INDUSTRY LEADER. There are different sets of criteria to base that decision on, so there will be different results.
You're looking for one answer where there are only many opinions.

BigTxEars

Good bippy, do I need to write it out? By the first definition I offered, Disney is the leader. By the second definition I offered, Universal is the leader. THERE IS NO UNDISPUTED INDUSTRY LEADER. There are different sets of criteria to base that decision on, so there will be different results.
You're looking for one answer where there are only many opinions.

"Comcast CEO: Universal will compete aggressively with Disney
January 7, 2014|By Jason Garcia, Orlando Sentinel
The top executive at Comcast Corp. signaled Tuesday that the company expects to win theme-park market share away from industry leader Walt Disney Co. and other rival park owners."

Even Uni knows who the industry leader is.......

But enough of this, I really don't care about your Disney hate, bash away on them. Why you desire to hang around a WDW themed forum to do nothing but bash them is beyond me but it's your time to do with what you will. I am done trying to reason with that hate though. Enjoy your night.

Last edited:

TubaGeek

"Comcast CEO: Universal will compete aggressively with Disney
January 7, 2014|By Jason Garcia, Orlando Sentinel
The top executive at Comcast Corp. signaled Tuesday that the company expects to win theme-park market share away from industry leader Walt Disney Co. and other rival park owners."

Even Uni knows who the industry leader is.......

But enough of this, I really don't care about your Disney hate, bash away on them. Why you desire to hang around a WDW themed forum to do nothing but bash them is beyond me but it's your time to do with what you will. I am down trying to reason with that hate though. Enjoy your night.
It's like trying to have a debate with an infant.

Disneyhead'71

I think that overall Disney is still the industry leader in destination theme park resorts, but there are some crucial aspects where competitors, specifically Universal, are now setting the bar. Particularly in technological advances in attraction development. Universal is also raising the bar in Deluxe resorts. I also think that Universal's new focus on themed lands has also changed the way Disney is doing things. So with Universal setting the bar in attractions, resort hotels, and giving Disney a run for it's money in themed environments Universal is is in some core components in fact an industry leader. It's very much a Apple vs Microsoft type situation.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom