Universal need to incorporate their characters more into the parks

JordanNite

Original Poster
My daughter loves the minioms from Despicable me. She barely knows who Mickey Mouse is. She loves Shrek, Fiona the Princess. She barely knows who Minnie Mouse is. But she knows who Bart Simpson is.

Mickey, Minnie, and co ... all fantastic charcters nevertheless. Disney theme them so well. But the fact is todays generation barely know who they are, it's more parental hype who get all shocked and awed. These

This is where Universal lose out on the family crowds. Disney theme their characters so well, incorporate them into the 'experience'. Where as Universal make very little use of them, bar the odd photo opportunity around the park. This is what Disney does so much better that Universal.

Really need Universal to thrust their characters into shows, musicals, dance shows, night time entertainment the works. They have some hot property with the likes of Despicable me, Shrek, Harry Potter, The Simpsons they really ought to use them more.

NMBC1993

Personally I think Universal is doing great with their character offerings! Every property that has been recently added to the parks has characters representing it (Optimus Prime, Bumblebee, Megatron, The Simpsons Family, Krusty, and Sideshow Bob). The reason your not going to see a face character of any Harry Potter character is based on the request of J.K. Rowling, she doesn't want someone imitating Harry Potter unless it's Daniel Radcliffe himself.

Also, not only are there characters representing the attractions but Universal's new films as well, The Boxtrolls just started making appearances the other day in a themed area around the park. So all in all I don't feel that Universal is that far behind as far as characters go, sure Universal doesn't build elaborate sets for them to stand behind but who really cares? The background is the actual park in my opinion...besides characters are Disney's thing, it's all they've got at this point. I'd much rather Universal focus on using their money to build QUALITY EXPERIENCES AND ATTRACTIONS....something that Disney stopped doing years ago. Plus, the great part about Universal's Meet & Greets? You don't need to stand in a 5 hour line to see any of them!

Besides, it's not like Disney hits it out of the park every time....

Dino+Donald.jpg

lazyboy97o

While Universal has always been about using existing films, they're not interested in creating an overly reductive, self-referential experience. Even within the established world you enter you are being offering something more being what is known.

Milla4Prez66

Universal offers plenty of character experiences. That alley between the Shrek and Transformers building has plenty of M&G chances with Optimus Prime, Bumblebee, Megatron, Shrek, Donkey and Fiona. The Donkey character is interactive too and great for kids. Hollywood always has characters out, though some such as Betty Bop, Doc Brown, Marilyn Monroe, etc. aren't necessarily known to kids. But they can meet Scooby Doo and gy there plus now the Boxtrolls. Kids can meet SpongeBob, Patrick and Squidward at the SpongeBob store, the Simpsons plus Krusty and Sideshow Bob meet in Springfield. At IOA plenty of Marvel characters like Spider-Man, Captain America, Wolverine, etc. meet throughout the day. Plus Seuss characters as well.

It isn't as good as Disney, but they certainly have their offerings. Plus like others have said, characters is kind of Disney's thing and it would be hard for Universal to try and top them so they really aren't going to try.

NMBC1993

Universal offers plenty of character experiences. That alley between the Shrek and Transformers building has plenty of M&G chances with Optimus Prime, Bumblebee, Megatron, Shrek, Donkey and Fiona. The Donkey character is interactive too and great for kids. Hollywood always has characters out, though some such as Betty Bop, Doc Brown, Marilyn Monroe, etc. aren't necessarily known to kids. But they can meet Scooby Doo and gy there plus now the Boxtrolls. Kids can meet SpongeBob, Patrick and Squidward at the SpongeBob store, the Simpsons plus Krusty and Sideshow Bob meet in Springfield. At IOA plenty of Marvel characters like Spider-Man, Captain America, Wolverine, etc. meet throughout the day. Plus Seuss characters as well.

It isn't as good as Disney, but they certainly have their offerings. Plus like others have said, characters is kind of Disney's thing and it would be hard for Universal to try and top them so they really aren't going to try.

That's a great list! It's true that it would be hard to top Disney in the character interaction department...that's why Universal is trying to beat them in other areas:D

Can't wait to meet the Boxtrolls, they look like fun! (4 months until our Universal APs!!!)

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
I agree that Uni needs more. Especially around IOA.
-Port of Entry and Lost Continent have one character each (Woody and the fountain) and should develop more that don't even require licensing agreements.
-Seuss and Marvel are doing alright. They're all gone pretty early, though, aside from Spidey. And the Seuss show could certainly use a major overhaul. It should be indoors with seating. I'm not asking for T2 here, but something with some shade and a place to sit.
-Potter is what it is. I don't know what more you would need to incorporate. Maybe if the Forbidden Forest happens we will finally see the giant spider M&G.
-JP and Toon Lagoon are both shadows of what used to be. You MIGHT get a baby tri-top puppet at JP, while Singapore has the fantastic raptors and their handlers. It's embarrassing. Lagoon has Popeye and Olive and Betty (if you're lucky). They have had (in the past) Bluto, Bimbo, Rocky and Bullwinkle, Boris and Natasha, Beetle Bailey and Zero, and Dudley Do-Right. Tragically, Toon Lagoon is quite Toonless.

USF is much better for characters. Most, like Seuss, though, are gone LONG before park close. Spongebob, Minions, the Gringotts goblin and the Transformers seem to be enough to satiate most guests after dark though (are the Knightbus conductor and head out late? I don't even know). It's true: Uni isn't as character-driven as Disney. However, I think the Transformers and ESPECIALLY Donkey are much cooler than anything the Mouse has got. And, until Festival of Fantasy opened, the Superstar Parade was the best parade Orlando had seen since Block Party Bash got shut down.

cheezbat

Does anyone else hate the face characters in TOON Lagoon? It just seems stupid. I'd rather see the good old Popeye, Bluto, and Olive Oil foamheads as well as Beetle, Dudley, Rocky and Bullwinkle, etc.

I just find it sad how few toons are in Toon Lagoon.

danpam1024

I really think many characters are represented throughout the parks, just not in the same way Disney does- not as people in costumes, which is great!. There are so many photo ops throughout the parks- especially in toon lagoon. Beats standing in the blazing sun and torrid heat to meet a princess (IMO of course). when I'm at Uni, I want to ride the rides!!!! USF parade is fantastic, interactive, and you don't need to camp out for a seat. It's not trying to be Disney and I think it's great.

Last edited:

JT3000

Does anyone else hate the face characters in TOON Lagoon? It just seems stupid. I'd rather see the good old Popeye, Bluto, and Olive Oil foamheads as well as Beetle, Dudley, Rocky and Bullwinkle, etc.

I just find it sad how few toons are in Toon Lagoon.

I remember once seeing both versions in the same day, with the face characters being used in USF and the full costumes in IOA, so they overlapped for a period. Don't know why they've seemingly stopped using the latter. There's really been a lot of IOA characters specifically that have gotten the axe over the years, which sucks if you like characters I guess.

USF still has a good number of character opportunities, but most of the early characters that once roamed Hollywood Boulevard are now gone, with the exceptions of Lucy and Marilyn. They now have a tendency to use that area for all new/temporary characters that don't really fit.

-Potter is what it is. I don't know what more you would need to incorporate. Maybe if the Forbidden Forest happens we will finally see the giant spider M&G.

Although Rowling doesn't want named characters anywhere, I remember they experimented with populating Hogsmeade with random wizards around opening and later used many of the same costumes in promotions for Diagon Alley, such as the Tonight Show segment. While this could add another layer to the immersiveness, I guess there isn't enough interest in having such randoms running around.

Last edited:

IAmFloridaBorn

Man please. loI always see Universal and their characters. One thing Universal does better than Disney is not repeating the same characters at all the parks. Like character interactions as much as anybody, but to wait 495 minutes to meet one lets me know it probably should be an attraction around that character or franchise(Disney). With that you can use that character how you'd like. Universals Characters tend to stay in their themed lands, they already have the concept. A few more characters here and there at different times could be okay though :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom